Ubuntu

Subjects that don't have their own home
Darren
Old Hand

#1 Ubuntu

Post by Darren »

Having failed about two years ago to get Ubunti to work properly I have spent many hours today having another go.

Last time I could only get it to work off the live CD, the install failed.

This time I have downloaded the latest version, the live CD installs after a great length of time but fails to work.

So I tried installing it on the hard drive, it not only takes an age, it never finishes. The CD ends up in what seems like a loop?

I tried re-downloading and burning a new CD AND 3 different laptops.

I just can't get it to load properly.

Who out there has managed it, how good is it and which version or release actually works !!
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Hi Darren, hope you are well!

(gotta send you a mail :!: )

I tried to live with v8 recently, much better than it was a year back but...but....but...Bill Gates won in the end and I went back to XP.

Ubuntu is close to being a viable OS for home use...but...but...not yet... :cry:
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Hi Darren, hope you are well!

(gotta send you a mail :!: )

I tried to live with v8 recently, much better than it was a year back but...but....but...Bill Gates won in the end and I went back to XP.

Ubuntu is close to being a viable OS for home use...but...but...not yet... :cry:
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

I hate to admit it, but Vista is pretty slick too.

I just can't see what the "average" punter complains about?

I understand the gurus points though.

I do wish I could get Ubuntu to work to make my own choices though.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Don't think the "average" punter does, they just buy a new machine with extra disk, processor amd memory to get the same performance they had on their previoud XP installation.

Impossible to say whats the problem with the Ubuntu install is Darren, it might be possible to give less details, but it would be hard :-)

I think its all down to what people need to run, many but not all win32 apps will run under wine. Kaye has been using Red Hat, and now Ubuntu for several years, and for what she needs it does it all, but for what she needs, an x-term would work fine, browser, email, WP and simple picture editiing is all she needs. Though support for the sound card was a added bonus with Ubuntu.

For server use Centos has a lot going for it, both that and Ubuntu's package update is almost (IMHO) as good as the original Debian one.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Hi Nick,

I only wanted a second comp for checking email and the web upstairs, (living area)

Main comp has all the apps on it in the basement/office.

Would save me running up and down the stairs so often,
running, there's a laugh...
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Ok, are you givinmg it the entire disk to install on?

What happened when it "got into a loop"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Darren.

i have a copy of Ubunto on CDR, which installs fine. Even in my incompetent hands.
If you want to try it you are welcome.
Much to learn there is.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Nick,
No, all my hard drives are partitioned for ghost files,

Is this a problem?

By loop I mean the cdrom just runs and runs oh and shunts about but nothing is happening on the machine.

Al, I may just try it, lets see how we get on 1st, but I may well come back to you !!!
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Hi Darren

I've had 3 attempts at posting but each time I've deleted after 10 mins cos I'm not sure if the reply is too techy or I've missed the point.....

but.... Ubuntu has been stable for ages, and as far as installing is concerned, even longer......

possible probs:-

1. corrupted download and subsequent iffy CD.....50% chance
2. iffy partitioning... issue CD or partition magic/manager should sort this..10%
3. hardware problems...unlikely if target m/c is fairly new

put the problem up on the ubuntu forum, but be specific and accurate with what youve done and the system you have......you'll have an answer in nanosecomds

hope this helps........you really have to be super specific with these sort of problems, its the price we pay for living in the 21st century...I only say this because your first post is a bit ambiguous with regard to how you booted or installed to HDD and the partitioning details....

Ed
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Nick,
No, all my hard drives are partitioned for ghost files,

Is this a problem?
Possibly, whats a ghost file?
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

Darren wrote:I hate to admit it, but Vista is pretty slick too.

You haven't had what both my daughter and wife have had then, after an automatic windows update both there computers refused to boot up and when trying to repair the problem with the windows disc I found that the hard drive was no longer there with the setup program asking for the hard disc drivers which could not be found on the cd and ended up with a full re-install losing all there personal info.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Norton Ghost, It's a file that is a copy your drive, but needs to be kept on a separate partition or drive. Therefore having laptops with only one drive I split them.

Bizzie, I keep all my personal files on the separate partition so if Win falls over a re-load is "relatively" easy with no crying.

Mind you Ghost doesn't work on this laptop which is a real shame as it normally works so well. The HD is 250gb and I guess that is the problem.
Thinking of sticking a smaller HD in to get around this issue.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

OK, but once you have a copy, do you delete the windows partition so Ubuntu can install into it?

What partition information do you give it on the install?
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

No, Can't Ubunti just write over the old then like windows?

No information, it doesn't ask for any?

Ubunu: "Do you wish to install: (doesn't even ask where btw)
Me: "ok"

That's pretty much it for installation. It does install, just doesn't quite finish.