NSLU2 and slimserver

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
SimonC
Old Hand

#1 NSLU2 and slimserver

Post by SimonC »

Hi everyone,

Having just acquired an NSLU2 I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom & experience on getting slimserver up and running on one?

Thanks

Simon C
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Hi Simon,

I got it working but the menus are slow, this was the pre MySQL version of the PERL Slimserver, 6.2.1, I think.

I then did the speed up by removing the pulldown resistor, which I think all the new ones have done by default, this helped but not enough.

Also, I couldn't get it to run mplayer, there's no hardware acceleration for floating point, so its too slow to do things like AlienBBC using the stock software. And, I like the BBC stuff......

Nick got another NAS going, can't recall the name.

-- Andrew
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Mine is the Buffalo one. I found a set of integer patches for mplayer that worked for the arm processor in the box I have.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Having said that with the move to iplayer not much of AlienBBC on 6.2 remains.

-- Andrew
Tony Moore
Old Hand

Post by Tony Moore »

A while ago I tried to get the old Slimserver 6.4 to work on NSLU2 and got it all working...but SLOWLY. Certainly not responsive enough to use IMO.

(That was using UnSlung and downloading all the perl and mySql bits)

I have recently had to move from a P3 750 to a more powerful machine for SqueezeCent(re)er.

In my opinion the SC is now becoming a bit bloated and is using more and more resources so a reasonably fast processor and oodles of memory are now required if you want fast response on the controller/SB3 displays and web interface.

Cheers,
Tony
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Nick wrote:Mine is the Buffalo one. I found a set of integer patches for mplayer that worked for the arm processor in the box I have.
Hi Nick,

What is the performance like on the Buffalo?

Simon C
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

It was ok with the older slimserver. but the new one is a bit slow. Fine driving the SB though.

Not that I have one at the moment. You are welcome to borrow the drive and give it a go.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

Post by ed »

I have to say I'm mystified by the problems that progress has caused in this area....

Simon, I can thoroughly recommend a Buffalo linkstation LS1 running slim version 6.2.2 or before.....my 300gb HS has been running absolutely non-stop since late 2006 without a flicker of complaint. There are no issues whatsoever except BBC radio.

I'm still to be convinced of the benefit of moving from sqllite to MySql, or indeed from ppc to mips, and as for the progress with the SB itself, well that seems to have generated as much flak as microsoft usually do when they release a new product......

Ed
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Thanks everyone,

I'll stick to my original plan of using the NSLU as a network print & family piccy server and give it an easy life, it should even end up solar powered if I can get my hands on a panel or two for the right price.

Buffalo's seem to go for sensible money, but I don't know the spec's well enough to know which model is which, more reading to do :)

Simon C
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

ed wrote:
I'm still to be convinced of the benefit of moving from sqllite to MySql, or indeed from ppc to mips, and as for the progress with the SB itself, well that seems to have generated as much flak as microsoft usually do when they release a new product......

Ed
I'm still on 6.2 and on a low powered device, fanless PC, it works fine.

-- Andrew