Pass Sony VFET Project

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Ray P »

I mentioned in another thread that I'm working on a Nelson Pass Sony VFET project so having let the cat of the bag i thought I should follow up with some information about the build.

I bought the PCBs and part kits, sans VFET devices, from the DIY Audio store - fortunately I have three pairs of 2SK60s. I'm recycling a large heatsink from a solar panel inverter, I had it accurately sliced in half by a model engineer chum and have been fabricating metal work to complete the chassis. Power supply is Mean Well SMPS brick with a filter board incorporated into the chassis. I've made one change, replacing the single 10000uF electrolytic output cap with boards holding 10x 1000uF Nichicon Muse caps (and a film bypass)

Some pictures

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Mike H »

Wow! :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P

#3 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Ray P »

Drilled and tapped fixings for the perforated top plate this afternoon. I'm just about ready to hook it all up now the metalwork is complete.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:34 pmWow! :shock:
Shirley you mean shoddy?

I know I do.

PS. Uber Mega shoddy.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#5 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Ray P »

Almost there! I've been doing the internal hook-up wiring today and have done some initial checks/adjustments/tests - voltages are what they should be! I just have to hook up the input phono sockets now before I can finish checking and, hopefully, listen to some music - sadly that will have to wait for a few days as I'm out of time today.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Dave the bass »

Pffftttt....

Look at the state of that.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Mike H »

Shocking innit? :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by jack »

Grim McGrimness...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#9 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Ray P »

I've been listening to my VFET project this afternoon and it is already making exquisite music - I say already simply because there is definitely more to come as I'm only using a Samsung phone as the source and my Noir HPA to drive it. The VFET is a follower with no voltage gain.

I listened initially with my Ariston workbench speakers but the gain of the Noir (9dB IIRC) wasn't enough for anything but a test listen, but once it was clear all was OK I moved to my listening room and hooked up my Lowther BLH speakers - these were efficient enough to have a good listen at a reasonable volume. Firstly thing to note, bearing in mind the efficiency of the Lowthers, was that with nothing playing there was silence, absolutely no hums, buzzes or whatever...

I have to say that the VFET and Lowthers seem to have a really promising synergy; with my SE-OTL amps I always had a nag that the balance was a little forward and the bass a bit light but not with the VFET, which delivered a robust but sweet and subtle sound quality - I had one of those listening sessions where you start to go through your recording library! Tomorrow I will try one of my DSD DACs as the source.

I've not quite finished the build as I still need to contrive some sort of front panel for the chassis - maybe get something 3D printed.
Ray P

#10 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Ray P »

A quick re-arrangement of the system and I'm in business with the Valve DAC as the source. Big step up, delightful music.

And earlier this morning, I designed a front panel in Fusion 360 and ordered it to be 3D printed - I'm giving JLC's new service a try.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Mike H »

Any chance of a schematic or is it copyright? Just curious.

Tried a Google but so many confusing variations or things with the same name, apparently! :shock:

Ray P

#12 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:49 pm Any chance of a schematic or is it copyright? Just curious.

Tried a Google but so many confusing variations or things with the same name, apparently! :shock:
Here you go Mike

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/atta ... f.1035400/
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Mike H »

Ta muchly. I was curious what the 6-legged thing is, now we know. :D

Ray P

#14 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by Ray P »

Just about finished the project today with the addition of a front panel (3D printed by JLC).

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Pass Sony VFET Project

Post by pre65 »

Nice job Ray.

If I was really nit-picking I'd suggest countersinking the front panel screw holes so the fixing head was flush.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)