A fun little BJT buffer

For the three and more legged things
nic
User

#1 A fun little BJT buffer

Post by nic »

Recently starting playing with BJT amps , have only ever used BJT in power supplies , CCS etc before so have been getting used to the Vbe thing . Have built a few breadboards and originally intending this experiment to be a diamond buffer but a bit optomistic with the NPN/PNP Vbe matching of the devices at hand . Came up with another solution of feeding the Vbe multiplier from either side of a current mirror and take the buffer's input from across Vbe multiplier . Output stage is CFP/Sziklai pair . Currently running the bias-block/current mirror set to 2.5mA , output stage at approx 80mA and there is small amount of drift so will probably have to increase the emitter resistors and rebias but for the time being having a listen to the thing . 5k pot sets the programming current , 100R pot sets the offset . This used surplus mains transformers (monoblock) , surplus heatsinks and parts from CPC which only cost a few pounds . It's currently bolted to a piece of wood . Approx 5 watts , no measurements taken , sounds pretty decent using a 6197 valve linestage , Raspberry Pi/HifiBerry
buffer.jpg
buffer.jpg (205.15 KiB) Viewed 2397 times
Pro with old Kef Cadenza speakers . Far from perfection but I'm having fun...
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: A fun little BJT buffer

Post by Mike H »

Interesting! Not sure I would do it like that. :D

More knowledgeable people might suggest putting the bias preset on the emitter side of your middle transistor, just in case the preset goes high resistance or open-circuit, then the magic smoke won't be released. Unless you've got a fuse. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
nic
User

#3 Re: A fun little BJT buffer

Post by nic »

Thanks , no magic smoke yet . I can see why I'm getting a bit of drift. As this started as a Diamond , I bolted the BD139/140 drivers to the heatsink and left these in place when I rejigged into a CFP output stage . I think these need to be thermally isolated from the main heatsink The BD are probably overkill for such a low powered amp , will see what alternatives are suitable , then have a rebuild of the CFP stage after a few more days listening