Edingdales

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#1 Edingdales

Post by mainscablesrus »

I have a mint pair of Colin's Edingdales in black, anyone interested?

They can be heard in my shop HX5 0AQ
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Edingdales

Post by Nick »

Well if they are Colin's, you should give them back to him.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#3 Re: Edingdales

Post by mainscablesrus »

LOL
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Edingdales - NO they are not!

Post by Toppsy »

mainscablesrus wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:42 pm I have a mint pair of Colin's Edingdales in black, anyone interested?

They can be heard in my shop HX5 0AQ
David,
If these are the speakers I am thinking of, please do not advertise them as Edingdales THEY ARE NOT EDINGDALE SPEAKERS.

I do remember building these for you, and you named them the MCRU No127 Loudspeakers. As a consequence of the very positive product review in Hi-Fi World, your client ordered a pair but wanted piano black painted finish that I said we couldn't do. In the end the speakers were skinned in black stained ASH veneer, which I take it were not to your clients liking?

Scott and I designed these speakers specific for MCRU. The original speakers were finished in Cherry veneer (not Teak as described by Noel Keywood) and reviewed in Hi-FI World magazine with a 5-star rating described as "Outstanding - amongst the best".

They use a completely different 5" (127mm) midrange driver array and different HF driver to my Edingdale speakers with a purpose designed cabinet for that driver array. Having said this, they are excellent sounding speakers and use quality drivers and XO components. Scott did a great job designing these speakers but I reiterate THEY ARE NOT EDINGDALES unless we are talking different speakers.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#5 Re: Edingdales

Post by Scottmoose »

Ah, the MCRU 127. :)

As Colin says, not an Edingdale, but that's far from a negative as it was an entirely new, ground-up design for MCRU, only sharing the basic configuration. The 127 runs 5 1/2in Seas midbass units in the midbass array with a dedicated cabinet design & bass alignment, a magnetostatic tweeter with die-cast alloy waveguide, a rear-firing ambience tweeter (a suggestion from Nick) and dedicated crossover (obviously ;) ).

It's a very good speaker, although I say so as shouldn't. Certainly, it seemed to go down well at Hi-Fi World; as I recall, Noel was particularly impressed with the impedance load it presented, which is something of a feature of most of the speakers Colin and I did (I hate excessively reactive loads). In a mid-sized room, it should also be able to blow the three little pig's brick house down.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Edingdales

Post by Dave the bass »

Scottmoose wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:35 pm ...it should also be able to blow the three little pig's brick house down.
Any excuse to post the Green Jelly track :)

"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Edingdales

Post by IslandPink »

That's surprisingly good !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Edingdales

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:18 pm That's surprisingly good !
Glad you enjoyed it too. It was a favourite of the workshop I was in when that track was released 😁
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9 Re: Edingdales

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ah, morals!!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Edingdales

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:18 pm That's surprisingly good !
Same here. :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Edingdales

Post by Dave the bass »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:15 pm Ah, morals!!!
Whose?!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#12 Re: Edingdales

Post by andrew Ivimey »

'Forgotten.... ( 4 pints of cider and I'm not sure which county I'm still in...)
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#13 Re: Edingdales

Post by Scottmoose »

Is that the one marked 'Appletizer'? :mrgreen:
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com