Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

#31 Re: Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

Post by Nick »

We all know that choke input supplies are good for SE valve amps at any rate
Some of us prefer well regulated supplies (active ones, SS or Valve). Just saying.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Re: Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:22 pm
We all know that choke input supplies are good for SE valve amps at any rate
Some of us prefer well regulated supplies (active ones, SS or Valve). Just saying.
Aye, I prefer them too.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#33 Re: Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

Post by simon »

A couple of thoughts Steve.

Have you looked at the PS in PSUD? I'd be a bit surprised if you could hear the ripple on the output valves with your relatively low efficiency speakers but it would be interesting to model it.

Where do you have your earth connected to? Is it at the second filter cap as shown?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

Post by Cressy Snr »

simon wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:33 pm A couple of thoughts Steve.

Have you looked at the PS in PSUD? I'd be a bit surprised if you could hear the ripple on the output valves with your relatively low efficiency speakers but it would be interesting to model it.

Where do you have your earth connected to? Is it at the second filter cap as shown?
They all go to a busbar connected to the chassis earth.

Sadly, I have never, ever succeeded in making a LC supply that is quiet, no matter how much capacitance I throw at it. I can use exactly the same earthing arrangements with cap input and get a totally silent power supply, not a whisper of noise, even through headphones. But choke input? not a chance; never managed it. Wish I knew why.

It’s not quite as bad as it appears, it’s only ear to the driver stuff, but I would like silence without active regulation. Maybe its asking too much of simplicity.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#35 Re: Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

Post by simon »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:06 pm They all go to a busbar connected to the chassis earth.
Can you just have one connection to ground, at the second filter cap? It's possible, if I understand correctly how it's wired, that connections to the busbar before the second filter cap could inject noise/ripple into the busbar. By the second filter cap the ripple should be at the minimum so less noise.

So wire the earth from component to component from the rectifier to the second filter cap, then connect to the busbar there. Apologies if I've misunderstood.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

Post by Cressy Snr »

simon wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:20 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:06 pm They all go to a busbar connected to the chassis earth.
Can you just have one connection to ground, at the second filter cap? It's possible, if I understand correctly how it's wired, that connections to the busbar before the second filter cap could inject noise/ripple into the busbar. By the second filter cap the ripple should be at the minimum so less noise.

So wire the earth from component to component from the rectifier to the second filter cap, then connect to the busbar there. Apologies if I've misunderstood.
Cheers Simon, just done that and success! It is not absolute silence, but it’s near as dammit. Effectively, the mods you suggested meant that I had only moved the second cap earth by about 10cm. Ridiculous, but there it is. Much, much better. Thanks :)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#37 Re: Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

Post by simon »

Result! :thumbleft:
Nick
Site Admin

#38 Re: Something Stirs in the Spare Room.

Post by Nick »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:09 pm
simon wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:20 pm

Cheers Simon, just done that and success! It is not absolute silence, but it’s near as dammit. Effectively, the mods you suggested meant that I had only moved the second cap earth by about 10cm. Ridiculous, but there it is. Much, much better. Thanks :)
Yep, you have to consider the cap charging current at the front of any power supply and make sure that you are not inducing voltages into places they should not be. 10cm of wire may not seem like much of a resistance, but remember if its inducing noise into the earth you may be injecting that noise directly into the front of the amplifier.

I know it may sound a bit tedious, but neat is rarely (if ever) the best layout.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.