Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#1 Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by steve s »

If anybody want to join us on Monday (20th march), late morning onwards your very welcome to come and to bring kit too.

Steve Cresswell is bringing his new amp to mine for a listening session so I'm sure a good afternoon is in store
Just pm or ring if you have my number
Cheers
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Ray P »

Would love to take up your invite Steve but the teleporter isn't working. :roll:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
steve s
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by steve s »

Ray P wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:47 pm Would love to take up your invite Steve but the teleporter isn't working. :roll:
One day Ray.. probably not on our lifetime though.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Paul Barker »

I’m still in full time work.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
steve s
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by steve s »

Paul Barker wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:50 am I’m still in full time work.
Thats a shame Paul.. I'll sort another later on in the year... on a weekend
Paul Barker

#6 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Paul Barker »

Dont go out of youre way though. I have to graft so hard to make ends meet these things are sidelined. The graft is made much harder by the 65 year old joints I now own.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#7 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Dammit I wish I'd seen this before COB on Friday as I may have been able to take the day off. Bugger.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Cressy Snr »

Great afternoon at Steve's:
Steve, Simon, Scott and me, bacon butties, loads of chat unrelated to hi-fi, a gaggle of MoFos, my amp, a 45 amp and Steve's PX4 to round things off. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.
Thanks Steve for your hospitality and thanks to all for the good company.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by steve s »

Thanks steve I really enjoyed it, more chatting than listening it was great to hear all the amps, thanks for bring them, simons all solid-state mofo was great to hear and compare to my part valve driven version.
Your amp sounded really good, it really highlighted the different output valves you brought and my vt75s
And simons 45 sounded so sweet.

It was a great afternoon, we need to do it again soon ..may or june ?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:50 pm
…It was a great afternoon, we need to do it again soon ..may or june ?
Sounds good to me.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#11 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Scottmoose »

Excellent afternoon; great to see Steve, Simon & Steve again after far too long. Many thanks for the hospitality as ever & be great to see you in May / June. :)
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#12 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by simon »

Best day I've had in about 8 months :-) (probably longer). Thanks for your hospitality Steve, great to meet up again.

I thought Steve C's SEP amp was really nice, good enough to resolve the differences in valves.

I was a little surprised my MoFo performed as well as it did considering it was a cheap build with one SMPS PS and simple opamp gain stage. Steve S's MoFo with valve drivers (can't remember what they were) and Tribute ITs was a little better, as I expected. But the MoFo still amazes me with how much it does right for relatively little cost.

We started to run out of time and my 45 SET was barely warming up but the treble sweetness was there from the off. I thought the bass was just warming up when we had to move on to Steve S's PX4 amp (was it PX4? My memory's not so good these days).

I thought that this amp was perhaps a little different from all the others we'd heard - it seemed a little less focused on the female vocals and was perhaps more even handed across the frequency range - all in a good way. But we only got a couple of tracks so it probably hadn't even warmed up yet.

All the amps were really competent, which perhaps sounds a bit damning with feint praise but isn't meant like that. They were all really very good I thought.

The speakers are killers though Steve :-). I would love to have slipped them in the boot and taken them home.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye, both the MoFos were excellent. Loved the pair of them. It was also great to hear the SEP on hi-efficiency speakers. And to hear it with those blasted VT75s of course. :lol: :lol: :cry: :cry:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#14 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by simon »

Self inflicted Steve :lol:
Paul Barker

#15 Re: Mini meet at Steve's on Monday

Post by Paul Barker »

Note to self