More SEPs

What people are working on at the moment
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#46 Re: More SEPs

Post by Mike H »

Cressy Snr wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:25 pm
simon wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:25 pm What's in the box of tricks Steve (Ant)? I've been musing on a headphone amp but don't really know anything about them.
When I did it for SS amps, only needed a resistor divider to step down because the amps don't care that the 'load' is a higher impedance than speakers.

However can't do that with a valve amp with an OPT that has to be properly loaded so I would use two 10 or 20 Watt aluminium clad wireound resistors, screwed onto the case somewhere, and then have a double pole 2-way toggle switch to change over from speaker terminals to the resistors. The headphones jack had the resistor dividers same as for SS. Hope that helps.
:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#47 Re: More SEPs

Post by Nick »

Xcept in this case it's a step up as the electret needs a higher signal voltage.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#48 Re: More SEPs

Post by simon »

Interesting subject, but I don't want to bog Steve's thread down with headphone talk. Might start a separate thread.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#49 Re: More SEPs

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:46 pm Xcept in this case it's a step up as the electret needs a higher signal voltage.
Memo to self – must read others' posts more thoroughly ... :oops:

As you were!
:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."