Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#1 Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

Post by RhythMick »

Hi all. My main system, which uses my DIY power amp with balanced inputs, uses the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N for all digital sources. It's a very convenient device, with multiple digital sources, network streaming and volume attenuation. I very much like the sound, though of course I'm always up for listening to something better out there.

I'm reconstructing my electronics room upstairs and want to get a similar device. Aside from the obvious listening to music while I work I'd also like to play music through amp prototypes to see how they sound. I was looking at simply picking up another 851N on eBay but it occurred to me this might be an opportunity to try another device, see if there's something better out there. Of course it might end up in the main system if it's better, or if the 851N had a problem...

So I'm interested in recommendations. It needs to have balanced analogue outputs on XLR as well SE RCA. It needs to be able to take USB INPUT as I anticipate using my laptop for most purposes in my work room, but it also needs 2 optical and one RCA spdif input in case I use it in the main system. It needs a volume control so I can take the output directly to a power amp, but ideally this would be bypassable. I'm not convinced on this latter point as I can't hear any difference between the 851N with preamp enabled or defeated. It needs to sound superb, and I need to be able to remotely control it through an app. I use Qobuz for music streaming.

That's a fair old list of requirements and I'm not adverse to spending good money to get something brilliant, but I don't want to waste money on marketing hype. It doesn't have to be a big company (I think Nick of this parish manufactures or did at one time).

All recommendations welcome.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

Post by Nick »

I think Nick of this parish manufactures or did at one time
I did, but it was very much a DAC, no volume control, no apps, certainly no streaming :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#3 Re: Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

Post by RhythMick »

Nick wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:02 am
I think Nick of this parish manufactures or did at one time
I did, but it was very much a DAC, no volume control, no apps, certainly no streaming :-)
Ok thanks Nick worth asking.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#4 Re: Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

Post by Ray P »

Check out Tony's 'New Dilemma' thread

https://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/vie ... php?t=8633
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
RhythMick
Old Hand

#5 Re: Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

Post by RhythMick »

Ray P wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:32 am Check out Tony's 'New Dilemma' thread

https://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/vie ... php?t=8633
I've been watching those DAC build threads, fascinating but it took me years to get my head around valves, I think that fiddly stuff is beyond me. My soldering tool of choice is a D24 Hakko bit.

Although I did build many of Andrew's DC boards with issue. Maybe when I retire end June. It's a thought.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

Post by Paul Barker »

Me too ref all these ultra neat solid state builds.

My projects going forward only in my head of course are:

Must build an AD1 amp…..

Must build with those idh valves a bit like px4

Must build another 6em7 amp something about it dht’s cant do

Must cut the magnet off my ae1’s and bolt on a field coil motor to a longer pole piece, and re-foam the cone.

Wonder if i can figue out how to get the ceramic magnet off my fostec drivers that Cressy used in the first metronome which I fell in love with the tone of, and find it a driver which I dont need a tweeter for.

Where did I put those Danbury interstage transformers?

Im too busy with the era I entered at to modernise my act!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
RhythMick
Old Hand

#7 Re: Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

Post by RhythMick »

Paul Barker wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:50 am Me too ref all these ultra neat solid state builds.

My projects going forward only in my head of course are:

Must build an AD1 amp…..

Must build with those idh valves a bit like px4

Must build another 6em7 amp something about it dht’s cant do

Must cut the magnet off my ae1’s and bolt on a field coil motor to a longer pole piece, and re-foam the cone.

Wonder if i can figue out how to get the ceramic magnet off my fostec drivers that Cressy used in the first metronome which I fell in love with the tone of, and find it a driver which I dont need a tweeter for.

Where did I put those Danbury interstage transformers?

Im too busy with the era I entered at to modernise my act!
:D
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#8 Re: Streaming DAC/ Pre with Balanced Outputs

Post by vinylnvalves »

Just looking at something else and spotted this... it may tick the boxes you are looking for.https://www-abacus--electronics-de.tran ... r_pto=wapp