C3g Aikido Phono

What people are working on at the moment
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#166 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:49 pm Hang on, a x10 probe is a 1:10 attenuator, not a probe with gain. If the scope is set at 1v per div, and its not a scope that talks to the probe, then that is indeed 3.4v displayed on the scope, the applying the x10 probe, that means that the actual supply has 34v P/P ripple.
Okay, as I was. :-(
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#167 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:51 pm Its also hard to read any values from the scope. I would try turning the brightness down and try and play with the focus.
Some of that is the photo, not easy to get anything better with a phone. But that said that's as good as I can get it, it's just a broad line. I wondered if maybe there's some oscillation but I'm really just clutching at straws.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#168 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

The right channel was almost identical up to the Aikido, the output cap and output phono changeable and looking like the following. Note the volts/square is now 100mV.
Sometimes two lines
After Aikido coupling cap R.jpg
After Aikido coupling cap R.jpg (81.74 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
Sometimes one line
After Aikido coupling cap R 2.jpg
After Aikido coupling cap R 2.jpg (78.55 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
Sometimes quite different
Output phono R.jpg
Output phono R.jpg (80.21 KiB) Viewed 4696 times
The right channel is closer to the power supply than the left, but the RIAA filter and C3g are closer than the Aikido and I would have thought they'd be more likely to be affected?

Grateful for thoughts and suggestions.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#169 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

My list of things to try/consider:

Try to reduce ripple on the raw DC without losing too much voltage

Increase the gridstopper on G1 of C3g. Currently it's 220R - I done have any carbon comps to hand but is it worth trying a 1k carbon film?

Separate the HT PS from the phono circuit to put some distance between them

Put some ferrites on the heater wires at the pcb end

Seem reasonable? Anything else worth trying?
Andrew
Eternally single

#170 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Andrew »

Is that a choke in the center?

If yes, try moving it, or, at least rotating it, the gap on any choke will emanate a nasty hum field.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Nick
Site Admin

#171 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

I would compare the trace to that with the input shorted to see if its a badly focused trace or something more before trying to fix it. Check the signal going into the riaa, if there is HF the riaa will attenuate it so checking before would show more if its there.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#172 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Andrew wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:37 pm Is that a choke in the center?

If yes, try moving it, or, at least rotating it, the gap on any choke will emanate a nasty hum field.
HT transformer I think. From top to bottom: HT trafo, UF4007 bridge, 100V+100V cap, two resistors now shorted out (so only a single filter cap rather than two sections when I first wired it up), and heater trafo at the bottom.
20230310_165438.jpg
20230310_165438.jpg (225.68 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#173 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:43 pm I would compare the trace to that with the input shorted to see if its a badly focused trace or something more before trying to fix it. Check the signal going into the riaa, if there is HF the riaa will attenuate it so checking before would show more if its there.
I haven't followed that. Do you mean the reged HT? All the other traces are with the input shorted.

The trace on the output side of the C3g coupling cap is at the input of the RIAA.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#174 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

It might be worth mentioning that the "hash" for want of a better word seen at the input is very similar to the previous build. Which was perhaps why I wondered if there was some oscillation maybe. But the HT trafo is reasonably close to the audio circuit in that build too so perhaps it's proximity.

I can't help thinking just how good the phono would sound if I could track this down cos it's pretty special now I reckon.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#175 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Question for Andrew - how much scope is there for increasing the distance of the heater modules from the audio circuit? Could they go in a separate PS box with umbilical wires to the audio box? This might be preferable to passing AC through wires between boxes? Or would this not matter if the umbilical had only the 6no. heater wires? I imagine they could radiate EMF that could be picked up by the DC umbilical for the HT maybe?
Nick
Site Admin

#176 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

All the other traces are with the input shorted.
No, sorry, I meant the input to the scope being shorted, that way you could see what the trace was like in the known absence of a signal.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#177 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Ah, got you - that makes sense!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#178 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by simon »

Very good, you've done this before Nick :-). This is with the probe's ground connected to the tip, it's the same as at the phono inputs. Which suggests things are fine up to the Aikido?
Probe grounded.jpg
Probe grounded.jpg (71.35 KiB) Viewed 4654 times
What does this mean for the probe/scope? I have two probes and they're both the same when I ground them.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#179 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by IslandPink »

Nick wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:49 pm Hang on, a x10 probe is a 1:10 attenuator, not a probe with gain. If the scope is set at 1v per div, and its not a scope that talks to the probe, then that is indeed 3.4v displayed on the scope, the applying the x10 probe, that means that the actual supply has 34v P/P ripple.
D'Oh ! I didn't think that one through.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#180 Re: C3g Aikido Phono

Post by Nick »

Which suggests things are fine up to the Aikido?
Maybe, is the circuit of the amp in this thread somewhere (will go and look)? It certainly makes me think that its not a issue with HF thats causing the wide trace. I think its just induced hum.