Solder

Somewhere to tell us of supplies who go the extra mile, or run away with your dosh.
iansr
Old Hand

#1 Solder

Post by iansr »

I need to buy some more solder and I’m thinking 40% lead, 0.5mm with active flux. But I’d be very interested to hear from more frequent slingers what your favourite solder is for through hole work, including specific brand / spec - ?
"Its good enough for Government work."
Neal
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Solder

Post by Neal »

RS 2% silver loaded solder 36/62 Tin Lead

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/solder/0551671
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Greg
Social outcast

#3 Re: Solder

Post by Greg »

Plus one for Neal’s suggestion. I’ve using it for years. So easy to work with and although expensive initially, a real will probably last your lifetime.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#4 Re: Solder

Post by Ray P »

My favourite, very easy to work with and consistent, clean joins, Sn95.5Ag3.8Cu0.7, 217°C

https://www.rapidonline.com/stannol-593 ... 0g-50-4035
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#5 Re: Solder

Post by izzy wizzy »

I asked a similar question a while back. And after, selected that same solder Ray uses. Ever since, the tips on my Weller dissolve. I've been through about 6 or more in a couple of years and I'm not a heavy user.

Before with leaded solder, tips lasted years, maybe even a decade. I'm now considering going back to leaded as the tip issue is more expensive than a real of solder plus a real nuisance. A shame as I liked the solder and thought it would last me 10+ years, maybe more.

From what I read on the web, my issue is not isolated. Some tips just don't like lead free. Maybe it's older designed irons. My Weller is over 40 years old.
iansr
Old Hand

#6 Re: Solder

Post by iansr »

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I’ll go for the RS stuff.
"Its good enough for Government work."
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#7 Re: Solder

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Neal wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:16 am RS 2% silver loaded solder 36/62 Tin Lead

Same - bought my first reels in 2003 and wouldn't use anything else.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#8 Re: Solder

Post by izzy wizzy »

That's the formula I think I'll be going back to.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#9 Re: Solder

Post by Ray P »

izzy wizzy wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:17 am I asked a similar question a while back. And after, selected that same solder Ray uses. Ever since, the tips on my Weller dissolve. I've been through about 6 or more in a couple of years and I'm not a heavy user.

Before with leaded solder, tips lasted years, maybe even a decade. I'm now considering going back to leaded as the tip issue is more expensive than a real of solder plus a real nuisance. A shame as I liked the solder and thought it would last me 10+ years, maybe more.

From what I read on the web, my issue is not isolated. Some tips just don't like lead free. Maybe it's older designed irons. My Weller is over 40 years old.
That's interesting, not something I've encountered but I do plan to get a better soldering station some time this year so will look out for that issue.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#10 Re: Solder

Post by izzy wizzy »

It can't be a common thing. Maybe modern bits post lead free are designed for it. It's hard to get anything other than anecdotal information. The world is built using lead free solder now. Soldering stations aren't dissolving. I'm too attached to my 40 year soldering iron which was a 21st present. I used to think bits lasted what seemed forever. Makes your choices.
Last edited by izzy wizzy on Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ed
retired

#11 Re: Solder

Post by ed »

I have the same experience as Stephen.

Since moving to lead-free I've lost many tips, on both my Antex and on my previous Weller.
I also have a suspicion that tip cleaner is not good for tips..I stopped using it after losing a couple of tips in close succession.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Morgan Jones
User

#12 Re: Solder

Post by Morgan Jones »

Lead-free solder requires a higher tip temperature and that encourages corrosion (Arhennius says chemical reactions double in speed for every 10C temperature rise). It's why modern irons have a fall-back temperature setting and (if you're lucky) detect when you've taken the iron out of the stand and boost temperature back up to set temperature. Makes the tips last longer. The higher temperature needed by lead-free solder also means that you get more atmospheric corrosion at the joint, so you need a more aggressive flux to make the parts clean enough to solder. I expect the more aggressive flux doesn't help the soldering iron tip either. Nobody ever mentions the health risks of the flux when talking about solder.

I use 60/37/3 (3% silver) solder and No6 tips (600F) for clean stuff and No7 (700F) tips for old mucky stuff. Produces nice joints. Sometimes tips get mucky and won't whet. Don't know why. I've tried brass wool but it doesn't seem to work for me. Delta tip cleaner Sn63/Pb37 does work.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13 Re: Solder

Post by jack »

Morgan Jones wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:49 am ...
I use 60/37/3 (3% silver) solder and No6 tips (600F) for clean stuff and No7 (700F) tips for old mucky stuff. ...
Metcal?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Morgan Jones
User

#14 Re: Solder

Post by Morgan Jones »

Weller TCP. I have several times wondered about a Metcal but been put off by the price. I regularly swap between four different tips (all No6), but have the same tips in No7 and a few other profiles as well. It makes all the difference to use the right tool for the job.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#15 Re: Solder

Post by Paul Barker »

Neal wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:16 am RS 2% silver loaded solder 36/62 Tin Lead

+2 on my second reel.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein