New digital source & storage solution

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 New digital source & storage solution

Post by vinylnvalves »

I need a second streaming solution for when I come to Owston and other venues away from my home network. Ideally I would like to cobbler up a box that has a hard drive with all my music on, the streamer and a CD drive to load more albums to the hard drive. I was looking at how to do attach a SSD to the plug computer so Dalphile could see it... more challenging than I initially thought as an interim step.

Reading on some forums that some are finding Volumio or MoOde superior in SQ to Dalphile, so it looks like I need to expand my horizons. The plan is use a spare I7 3.2k plug computer for this. Looks like MoOde can only be installed on a Pi, so may have to be Volumio.

Anyone got experience of these front end software packages, and are their anymore that can be thrown into the mix?

Without going really stupid.....https://stordiau.com/collections/gear/p ... wer-supply
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#2 Re: New digital source & storage solution

Post by vinylnvalves »

Anyone got experience of using this streaming software.https://audirvana.com/. Some mixed messages about it. I suppose I can load what ever onto the computer and reflash the drive if it doesn’t live upto expectation.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#3 Re: New digital source & storage solution

Post by vinylnvalves »

Been playing with a few different players.... dont think there is any SQ difference. So will stick with the GUI i know - so use Dalphile.

Challenge is away from the home network how do i control it as its a web based interface. Has the options to set up a WIFI connection but is this of any use unless i hotspot to it.

Ideally what i would like to do is attach a 12" touch screen to the NUC, so i can control things directly without a network. Is there any way to "fool the web based interface" so it be just a standalone computer with a screen?
dalphile.jpg
dalphile.jpg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: New digital source & storage solution

Post by Nick »

Cant you just setup a local wifi network on one of the non routed IP classes?

Or have I missed something?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#5 Re: New digital source & storage solution

Post by vinylnvalves »

Nick wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:10 pm Cant you just setup a local wifi network on one of the non routed IP classes?

Or have I missed something?
Just looking up what a none routed IP class is... I would say yes. Just need to work how to do it now.