Split rail from two positive regulators

We all start somewhere
karatestu
User

#1 Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by karatestu »

Hello. Trying to get my little brain round something and need a little help.

I have four Avondale Audio TPR4 regulators sitting around doing nowt. There are two separate positive voltage regulators on each board. Its basically a tracking pre regulator with voltage reference and capacitance multiplier tagged on the front.

I want to try these with on my nva phono board. But that is split rail and I don't have any negative versions (Avondale only do +ve). I suppose i could swap cap orientation and change the three pin devices for negative versions but i don't want to hack them incase I end up selling them

The following is a post by Les W on pfm about this very thing

LesW
Retired at user request
chiily said: ↑
Can the TPR4 be configured for +18/-18v working...Maybe to power my B4?

You can, very simply. The caveat is that you will need either two quite separate transformers OR a transformer with two independent secondaries.

The idea is that you treat the outputs from the TPR4s as though they were batteries in a multi-cell flashlight. The connections are: +V...0V....+V....0V

The join between the supplies becomes the 0V - zero volt point.

Only ONE TPR4 is needed to make a symmetrical supply.

Hope that's made it clear although I've spent ages on the phone sometimes trying to explain this principle.

I have some graphics for those still confused. Let me have an email and I'll send a copy - les(at)avondaleaudio.com

So I need two independent positive power supplies using separate transformer windings. There are three connection points on each regulator - Vin, Vout and OV. On the first regulator the positive voltage from one of the power supplies is connected to Vin. Vout from this reg is connected to OV of the second positive regulator and it is this link that becomes 0V.

So do I connect the second independent positive raw supply to Vin of the second regulator as usual ?
Where do I get the positive and negative outputs from ?

I'm being a bit thick here :oops:
:bigsmurf:
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by Nick »

Two entirely separate transformer secondaries to their own bridge rectifier and cap. Positive on cap to vin on regulator. Negative on cap to 0v. That then gives you two entirely separate 18v supplies call them a and b. Connect vout of supply b to 0v of supply a. Vout of supply a is +18v. Point where a and b are connected becomes 0v. 0v of supply b becomes -18v.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
karatestu
User

#3 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by karatestu »

Nick wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:15 pm Two entirely separate transformer secondaries to their own bridge rectifier and cap. Positive on cap to vin on regulator. Negative on cap to 0v. That then gives you two entirely separate 18v supplies call them a and b. Connect vout of supply b to 0v of supply a. Vout of supply a is +18v. Point where a and b are connected becomes 0v. 0v of supply b becomes -18v.
Thanks Nick. It makes sense now. It is clear that the OV of the two positive voltage power supplies should not connect at any point, otherwise I will be needing a change of pants :D

I have drawn a primitive diagram just so that I am sure I have got this right. Hope you can see the detail. Just noticed I drew the transformers wrong oops

Last edited by karatestu on Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
karatestu
User

#4 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by karatestu »

There was some talk on pfm that using two positive regulators with LM317 in this way can be better than using the LM337 because the 317 regulates better. I wouldn't know about that.

The nva phono uses 317 and 337 in the traditional way. It has small film caps on the output of the regs which I thought were a bit of a no no due to the ringing they can cause when there are film decoupling caps in parallel at the opamps. I always thought the 317/337 output decoupling caps should have a bit of esr for damping (like a tantalum).

It does require another transformer though so not so good when enclosure space is limited.
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by Nick »

As always the first place to start is with the documentation of the part:
In general, the best type of capacitors to use is solid tantalum. Solid tantalum capacitors have low impedance
even at high frequencies. Depending upon capacitor construction, it takes about 25 μF in aluminum electrolytic to
equal 1-μF solid tantalum at high frequencies. Ceramic capacitors are also good at high frequencies. However,
some types have a large decrease in capacitance at frequencies around 0.5 MHz. For this reason, 0.01-μF disc
may seem to work better than a 0.1-μF disc as a bypass.
Although the LM317-N is stable with no output capacitors, like any feedback circuit, certain values of external
capacitance can cause excessive ringing. This occurs with values between 500 pF and 5000 pF. A 1-μF solid
tantalum (or 25-μF aluminum electrolytic) on the output swamps this effect and insures stability. Any increase of
the load capacitance larger than 10 μF will merely improve the loop stability and output impedance.
It does require another transformer
Or two secondaries and bridge rectifiers.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
karatestu
User

#6 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by karatestu »

Nick wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:08 am As always the first place to start is with the documentation of the part:
In general, the best type of capacitors to use is solid tantalum. Solid tantalum capacitors have low impedance
even at high frequencies. Depending upon capacitor construction, it takes about 25 μF in aluminum electrolytic to
equal 1-μF solid tantalum at high frequencies. Ceramic capacitors are also good at high frequencies. However,
some types have a large decrease in capacitance at frequencies around 0.5 MHz. For this reason, 0.01-μF disc
may seem to work better than a 0.1-μF disc as a bypass.
Although the LM317-N is stable with no output capacitors, like any feedback circuit, certain values of external
capacitance can cause excessive ringing. This occurs with values between 500 pF and 5000 pF. A 1-μF solid
tantalum (or 25-μF aluminum electrolytic) on the output swamps this effect and insures stability. Any increase of
the load capacitance larger than 10 μF will merely improve the loop stability and output impedance.
It does require another transformer
Or two secondaries and bridge rectifiers.
Thank you Nick. Something to think about.

Does my diagram above look correct?

Stu
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by Nick »

Does my diagram above look correct
Yes, looks perfect.
karatestu
User

#8 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by karatestu »

Many thanks. Will be doing it in the next few weeks hopefully.

Stu
karatestu
User

#9 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by karatestu »

I suppose this would work with two secondaries that are not centre tapped ?
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by Nick »

karatestu wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:34 pm I suppose this would work with two secondaries that are not centre tapped ?
Yes, or two secondaries that are center tapped and ignore the tap.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#11 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Why not just get a transformer that will give you a working DC voltage ?

Are we saying voltage regulation is better ?

My DIY phono stage as 2 positive rails of 24v , I use 18v trafo and caps with no regulation . Would regulation improve the sound ?
Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by Nick »

Are we saying voltage regulation is better
Don't know about we, but I would say that in many cases yes. However in many cases it might not be worth the extra cost and complexity.
Would regulation improve the sound
Again I don't know, but the fact that it seems to be oft repeated that increasing the size or number of transformers in that phono stage does improve things would lead me to believe that regulation would improve things. But there are huge numbers of assumptions in that. Its possible (for example) that a bad power supply leads to a subjectively better result.
karatestu
User

#13 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by karatestu »

The NVA phono stage comes as standard with regulators. They are very simple . LM317 & 337 with the necessary resistors and 0.1uf film caps on input and output ( from memory).

I remember RD saying that the stage did benefit from regulators but very simple ones.

I am trying something which is quite a bit more complicated and if I can't improve subjectively on the stock regulators then they will be sold. I don't know if I don't try. I have some opamp based super regs knocking about too but I don't think i will be trying them .
karatestu
User

#14 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by karatestu »

DQ - is your phono stage based on the Naim Stageline or similar. They use two +24V rails as standard. Naim put the regs in the power supply at the end of one metre of wire. I would suggest that the regulator would be better close to the load if you were going to do it.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#15 Re: Split rail from two positive regulators

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Yes it is a clone of the stage line.

I've got about 8 phono stages including the nva , personally I prefer the naim over the nva
.you can buy regulators for it , but I just use two 350va transformers ,2 33,000uf caps per rail and 1 bridge