On the subject of HiFi

Subjects that don't have their own home
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#76 Re: On the subject of HiFi

Post by Cressy Snr »

I would say that Hi-Fi is the sound you like, otherwise the concept runs headlong into the immovable wall of the metaphysics of Quality, and we all know where that led our hero.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#77 Re: On the subject of HiFi

Post by vinylnvalves »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:38 pm shriek zone:
where tenor male or female vocals, soprano, alto, tenor saxes, clarinets, flutes, piccolos, high register instruments sound

biting
blaring
cringe inducing
earsplitting
fierce
loud
nasal
painful
penetrating
shrill
stentorian
thin

Very easy to produce inadvertently.
These tracks will show it up mercilessly on the wrong, (wrongly designed) speaker
Good Rockin’ - Jr Walker & The All-Stars
The Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
Cilla Black - Anyone Who Had A Heart
Henry Mancini - Baby Elephant Walk
There is no need whatsoever, for any of these tracks to sound like that.
You don't want to add Sibilance, to the list.... I use Marc Cohn LP's to check phase at crossovers, unlistenable when it's wrong.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#78 Re: On the subject of HiFi

Post by IslandPink »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:16 am What Ant is saying about trying to push the crossovers outside of the critical range is what I am trying to do. .
I don't think that there is really a non-critical range. If you have a three-way like my OB's, the mids from 300Hz are more or less seamless with the low treble to about 2Khz , but you've got a crossover around 150 to 200Hz that takes something out of the upper bass. Wherever you put a crossover, you lose some tone. You have to take the medicine at some point.
If you stick to a 2-way bass/mid plus a tweeter, then you get better coherence and tone through the 70-300Hz region, but the transparency goes a bit earlier in the treble, with a bit more trouble rolling off the woofer to avoid Steve's 'shriek'. At a cost, with a driver like the Purifi, this is a very good alternative though, at the compromise of reduced efficiency.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

#79 Re: On the subject of HiFi

Post by Neal »

Steve you missed accurate from your list….. :mrgreen:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#80 Re: On the subject of HiFi

Post by IslandPink »

ed wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:39 am
Based on:
You have a thread which is nearly 190 pages long with 2800 posts. Much of this thread relates to you chasing perceived imperfections in the presented sound. There are similar discussions on other threads.

So, to summarise, from my point of view, I can’t help feeling that you are disappointed with a lot of your listening because you write about trying to improve some aspect of the delivery.
Maybe it's the writing about it differs in some way - because I have only followed the same path as Nick, Steve S, James D and others. Multi-year quests to develop the source, amplifiers and speakers to their liking.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#81 Re: On the subject of HiFi

Post by Cressy Snr »

Neal wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:25 pm Steve you missed accurate from your list….. :mrgreen:
❓ :?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#82 Re: On the subject of HiFi

Post by Cressy Snr »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:37 pm You don't want to add Sibilance, to the list.... I use Marc Cohn LP's to check phase at crossovers, unlistenable when it's wrong.
Ah yes

“Put on my blue sssssttthuede shoes and boarded the plane”

Bloody vinyl!… Or was it?
Nick
Site Admin

#83 Re: On the subject of HiFi

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:52 pm
ed wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:39 am
Based on:
You have a thread which is nearly 190 pages long with 2800 posts. Much of this thread relates to you chasing perceived imperfections in the presented sound. There are similar discussions on other threads.

So, to summarise, from my point of view, I can’t help feeling that you are disappointed with a lot of your listening because you write about trying to improve some aspect of the delivery.
Maybe it's the writing about it differs in some way - because I have only followed the same path as Nick, Steve S, James D and others. Multi-year quests to develop the source, amplifiers and speakers to their liking.
Good point. The only difference is that I have always been dreadful about documenting the process.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.