DipTrace

We all start somewhere
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#16 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

I've played with the ground copper pour and as long as I leave the original net alone which I associated the copper pour with I get no errors. If I then delete the GND net I get the errors. I guess this makes sense.

My reason for deleting the GND net was to tidy up the spokes - below you can see the additional 45 degree traces. I could simply move the net so it only attaches to pads at 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees, but there must be a "proper" way of doing it.
Ground plane net spokes.PNG
Ground plane net spokes.PNG (8.01 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

Here's v2. I've moved the 10uF bypass caps next to the power input header, widened the traces to 1mm, and added the bypass caps to the feedback resistors. And don't get any errors now (with the GND net caveat above).

Next I might try adding the power supply on the same board, unless that's a bad idea?
Op Amp Gain Stage v2.PNG
Op Amp Gain Stage v2.PNG (58.85 KiB) Viewed 6917 times
Nick
Site Admin

#18 Re: DipTrace

Post by Nick »

You could add a ground trace between the two input traces to reduce coupling between channels.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#19 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

On the top side, down the middle of the op amp?
Nick
Site Admin

#20 Re: DipTrace

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:32 pm On the top side, down the middle of the op amp?
I don't know which is top, but on the same side as the two in traces from the terminals, between them just add a trace and connect it with via to the ground plain on the other face.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#21 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

Something like this? I've attached it to the GND for the power supply, sort of the star earth I suppose, rather than a via.
Op Amp Gain Stage v3.PNG
Op Amp Gain Stage v3.PNG (60.9 KiB) Viewed 6906 times
Nick
Site Admin

#22 Re: DipTrace

Post by Nick »

Yes, that's what I meant.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#23 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:15 pm But yep, arn't PCB's easy.
Don't know why but ever since I read this, this has been going through my mind :-). (Nuts! Looks like you have to click on the link. Int milk brilliant!)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#24 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

I installed library loader but Chrome blocked a synchronising file it wanted to put in the Downloads folder as part of the setup. It wasn't clear why but I got the impression it was blocking it because it suspected it contained malware.

I did download a suitable Ecad for a Wakefield TO220 heatsink but DipTrace gave a wrong format error when I tried to import it. And when I looked at the list of 3D models in DipTrace it wasn't listed even though it was in the folder.

It's a little frustrating, I can't get much further without the heatsink model but don't feel inclined to investigate the missing syncronising file.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#25 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

Talked to a friend tonight who's been using the free version of Eagle. It's limited to a board size of 80cm^2 but it sounds like it has a much better library, he even requested a part that didn't exist and 2 days later they'd created it for him. So I might try Eagle.
Nick
Site Admin

#26 Re: DipTrace

Post by Nick »

Yep, I use Eagle. Its easy to create new parts in the library editor as well.
ed
retired

#27 Re: DipTrace

Post by ed »

never had a problem with designspark...free from RS
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#28 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

Look what just arrived :-)
20221122_115925.jpg
20221122_115925.jpg (131.78 KiB) Viewed 6512 times
It's silly really. I uploaded the gerbers 8 days ago. 5 boards cost £1.69, shipping charge was £4.62 (for cheapish shipping), customs duties and taxes were £1.27. A total of £7.58 and 8 days. How we'll ever compete with China is difficult to imagine.
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: DipTrace

Post by Nick »

Yep, and it starts to become hard to justify not using a PCB for even the simplistic prototype.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#30 Re: DipTrace

Post by simon »

Indeed it does