401 bearing issues

301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#31 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Thanks for that , worthwhile contribution .

Nothing in the chart establishes that any oil would not be suitable
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#32 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by izzy wizzy »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:00 pm The motor engine will clearly have moving parts that are somewhat faster , but deos that mean the oil is not appropriate for slower speeds .

I would hazard a guess that nobody actually knows and nobody as tested it , it is hifi afterall .

But I bet those who pay a fortune for a peppet of snake oil can tell the difference
I tried engine oils in my bearing. It worked. But it was more problematic over short periods of time.

Define "appropriate" for you.

My "appropriate" was the oil that gave the best overall performance. That happened to be sewing machine oil over engine oil and then later marvel air tool oil. Many others followed a similar path that had a similar bearing.

YMMV coz yer bearing is different. No snake oil involved. Just cheap stuff off the shelf.

I would wager from your comments that you have little to no experience in this field so don't want to admit there might be something to try or that you might learn something by trying. Depends of course on what you're open to in your lived experience.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#33 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I'm perfectly willing to admit I have no experience .
But Im very clever despite losing 30 % of my brain 🤣 and nothing you have said makes me think you have anything valid to say .
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:54 pm I'm perfectly willing to admit I have no experience .
But Im very clever despite losing 30 % of my brain 🤣 and nothing you have said makes me think you have anything valid to say .
All the really clever people I know are also modest. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#35 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by izzy wizzy »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:54 pm I'm perfectly willing to admit I have no experience .
OMFG, this ranks up there with one of the most stupid posts I've ever read.
Nick
Site Admin

#36 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by Nick »

I was tempted to create a Dunning Kruger group to set his user to but thought that would be a bit childish.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#37 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by shane »

izzy wizzy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:59 am
OMFG, this ranks up there with one of the most stupid posts I've ever read.
Maybe, but I’d miss Dennis’s posts (and Phil’s inevitable responses) if he wasn’t here.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:36 am I was tempted to create a Dunning Kruger group to set his user to but thought that would be a bit childish.
I had to look up "Dunning Kruger effect" because I'm not clever, but it (childish or not) might be apt. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#39 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Izzy try posts with facts not your opinion. I'm not interested in your opinions .
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:09 pm Izzy try posts with facts not your opinion. I'm not interested in your opinions .
It seems to me, that often, peoples opinions are based on facts, or empirical experience.

What Izzy Wizzy posted about his preferred choice of oil was based on empirical experience, what more could you ask ?
Last edited by pre65 on Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edmund Burke

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#41 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by Daniel Quinn »

True.so what .
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#42 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:24 pm True.so what .
Are you arguing against yourself ? :?

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:29 pm
Are you arguing against yourself ? :?
You’re up against a Sophist Phil. You haven’t a chance.
In the 5th century BC, Plato decided it was a total waste of time engaging with them, but it took even him a few years to suss the game and disengage.
The thing with Sophists is, the people they regard as mere mortals are simply sport for their personal entertainment.

If you are happy to argue, that’s fine, but don’t ever expect to get actually get anywhere because there’s nothing of any substance in what they say, it’s all about the language, so it’s impossible to get a handle on what the hell they are talking about. Aristophanes described them as ‘hairsplitting wordsmiths,” great to have on your side in a courtroom but as a dinner party guest. Yikes! :shock:
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#44 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by Nick »

The thing is, DQ has no actual reason to have made his choice for the oil in his turntable. If he had, he would have certainly have told us. I expect he just decided to use what was convenient, but having made that choice, feels that he has some justification for his choice, because? Well because he feels he is clever (he told us so), so its likely that any choice he makes is the correct one, because its the choice he made. What I do find amusing is that he seems to feel that by showing that another choice is not correct, it in some way makes his choice any more correct. The "it works for a motor car engine, so it must be ok" argument can simply be shown to be flawed by the fact that two different engines may be have different requirements for oil. In fact my car engine started life with a recommendation of 0w-40. Now its older, the general suggestion is 5W-40.

My position is much simpler, I use some general purpose oil (what would probably be once called sowing machine oil) for no other reason than it was on the shelf. But I make no claim that it is the correct choice, so when asked what I think is the best oil, I give the only answer that I can make honestly "I don't know".

Also what is best for one bearing/turntable may not be the best for another, I don't think DQ has a Garrard, so its another reason to ignore his answer. Not because it may be wrong, but even if it was correct in his use case, it may not be so in the case of a 401.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#45 Re: 401 bearing issues

Post by Daniel Quinn »

You seem to have made an elaborate story explaining my choice and my decision to take issue.

When actually the only worthwhile contribution to this thread points out that any oil will do

All the rest is bollocks