Photography for a beginner

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Photography for a beginner

Post by IslandPink »

Good stuff, you have already twigged that the light is what makes the photograph, something many people never get the hang of, they just go around chasing impressive subjects.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#17 Re: Photography for a beginner

Post by andrew Ivimey »

This particular penny dropped ( after ages) for me when I was shown how Stanley kubrick made his films....and this is why black and white photography is essential!!!

This particular lesson skipped from e.g. the war room in Dr Strangelove and the 1stW.W trenches in Paths of Glory and ran thro' many fertile fields ending with Orson Welles, possibly a better example even .... when watching e.g. just how enormously powerful shadow is in The Third Man.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ant
Shed dweller

#18 Re: Photography for a beginner

Post by Ant »

Emma is getting worse with the photography obsession :roll: the eos50e 35mm camera went back, so has bought a replacement. Or two...
An eos 300 which is in really nice condition and full working order, so thats the replacement taken care of, and she took a punt on a charity shop minolta 505si super.
15 quid, its blummin pristine. Looks like the lens has never been off it, and it has an interesting feature that it focuses automatically on what you are looking at through the viewfinder. Same as the 50 had although its a much later model film camera.
At least they were both cheap.......
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Photography for a beginner

Post by IslandPink »

I'm out of my depth on these, will look them up. There are a bewildering range of cameras that were made in the last 25 years. Hopefully the shutter is working OK on the Minolta.
Ant
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Photography for a beginner

Post by Ant »

That makes two of us mark, although i know the eos300 well enough and its basically the same as the 1000. Same lens with it as the 1000 aswell
Both shutters are spot on, the minolta looks like its just been taken out of its box.
Having had a play with it im rather impressed with it, i think if i start faffing with the 35mm ones ill use the minolta
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Photography for a beginner

Post by IslandPink »

Today I worked out how to use 'Live View' on the Canon 5D ! Next time I try to take a night sky shot, i will be prepared ...