Wanted: digital slr camera

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Ant
Shed dweller

#1 Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Ant »

As it says, im after a proper dslr camera.

Never had one, i have wanted one for a long time but being only passively interesred ive just used phone cameras.
I have been more enthusiastic of late.

Ideally id like a canon eos dslr as the other 2 35mm cameras are canon with ef mount lenses,so sticking with that makes sense so lenses can be bought that will work with all 3.
Not averse to different manufacturers stuff though, thats just a logical thing to do
Ive been looking at stuff like the eos1000d and 450d, 10, 12 megapixel stuff. As a beginner i dont think i need anything more complicated or modern than that sort of kit.

Anyone got anything that would fit the bill?
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by pre65 »

With regard to Canon EF mount lens's.

If you have genuine Canon EF lens's they should work on film and digital cameras.

Older non Canon EF lens's may work on film cameras but not digital.

Guess how I know that. :wink:

I have an EOS40d (same as Simon) and it's as technical as I can handle. I'd like a more modern version with a proper stereo sound video capability, but I'm resisting. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Ant »

Yep exactly phil, we have a pair of genuine canon ef lenses off the 35mm cameras which will swap over onto a eos d body. From my reading it appears that ef lenses are forwards compatible so to speak and ef-s dlsr lenses are not backwards compatible. Means i can get a body only eos dlsr and potentially save some money

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by pre65 »

You can't use EFs lens's on a full frame Canon digital camera (such as an EOS 5d), but you can use EF lens's on an EFs body.

The only thing is, the effective focal length changes. So, a 50mm EF lens on an EFs body is more like 70mm (from memory).It's all to do with the back focus distance in the body.

If you can get IS lens's all the better, the IS (image stabilisation) is a godsend with longer focal lengths, and good for all focal lengths.

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Ant »

Yep i was aware if the focal length change, doesnt mean much to me at this stage though because i dont know what im doing

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by simon »

From memory (and it's a looooong time ago now) the 1000fn came with a 35-80 zoom or 35-105 zoom. Maybe. In film context 28mm is considered a wide angle (good for landscapes), 35mm not quite so wide, 50mm is considered "normal" (the angle is similar to the naked eye), 110mm a telephoto good for portraiture, 200+mm good for sport/action.

I got fed up changing lenses, and having to carry them, so I had a 28-105 equivalent on the 40d IIRC. It's rare I ever changed to the other lens I used a 200-300 zoom. But these zoom lenses are heavier and more expensive for the same performance. You pays your money...
Ant
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Ant »

Ah ok. So for example the one that is on the 1000fn which is a 35 80, (you were right simon) on that body will give a reasonably wide angle image, put it on a dslr body will behave closer to the view angle of a 50mm aperture lens, because the rear of it is closer to the sensor than it would be to the mirror in the 35mm body

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by simon »

Yep that's it. I think DSLR lenses are still classified by film camera focal lengths, presumably for familiarity.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by IslandPink »

Ant wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:47 pm Ah ok. So for example the one that is on the 1000fn which is a 35 80, (you were right simon) on that body will give a reasonably wide angle image, put it on a dslr body will behave closer to the view angle of a 50mm aperture lens, because the rear of it is closer to the sensor than it would be to the mirror in the 35mm body
OK hang on, a bit of clarification here.
So the EOS 1000 FN is a film camera , but full-frame, ie. 36 x 24mm frame.
A Digital SLR ( DSLR ) could be a full-frame DSLR ( eg. like the 5D range and many others ) in which case it's also 36 x 24 frame ( sensor )
...or it could be an APS-C format DSLR, in which case the sensor is 22.5 x 15 mm at least for Canon.
It is the size of sensor that determines the field of view, along with the lens focal length
These smaller sensors will make any lens seem longer ( narrower ) than it would be on full frame - by a factor of about 1.6x.

I see that Canon also created 'EF-S' lenses for the APS-C format.
Having a smaller format means that the reflex mirror and its 'swing' is shorter, so the lenses can go closer to the sensor. This makes them incompatible with full-frame DSLRs.
However, the proximity of the rear of the lens has nothing directly to do with the field of view.

ps. the 'R' in SLR and DSLR indicates that the camera is 'Reflex', ie. it has a splitting mirror behind the lens which provides a direct optical view through the lens before taking the picture.
The modern 'Mirrorless' cameras use a direct read off the sensor and an electronic display to provide the viewfinder picture. They have no mirror, so they are not a 'DSLR'.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by IslandPink »

simon wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:41 pm Yep that's it. I think DSLR lenses are still classified by film camera focal lengths, presumably for familiarity.
Ermm.. all DSLR lenses are labelled with their focal length, which is an actually physically measurable quantity :)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by IslandPink »

pre65 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:13 pm If you have genuine Canon EF lens's (sic) they should work on film and digital cameras.
EF Canon lenses will only work on the EOS film cameras that were made in the 90's and early 2000's just before digital sensors came in.
All earlier film cameras used the 'FD' bayonet that was smaller.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by pre65 »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:41 pm
pre65 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:13 pm If you have genuine Canon EF lens's (sic) they should work on film and digital cameras.
EF Canon lenses will only work on the EOS film cameras that were made in the 90's and early 2000's just before digital sensors came in.
All earlier film cameras used the 'FD' bayonet that was smaller.
or FL (1964 - 1971) I believe, which can be used on FD bodies.
Last edited by pre65 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#13 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by Ant »

This is what i read which led me to believe the ef lens will work with the ef-s body

https://www.eos-magazine.com/articles/e ... F%20lenses.

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by IslandPink »

Ah, so the EF-S lens bayonet diameter and flange distance are the same as EF. OK, learned something there. It'll just be that some of the EF-S lenses protrude too far into the mirror box on the full-frame cameras.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#15 Re: Wanted: digital slr camera

Post by simon »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:23 pm
simon wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:41 pm Yep that's it. I think DSLR lenses are still classified by film camera focal lengths, presumably for familiarity.
Ermm.. all DSLR lenses are labelled with their focal length, which is an actually physically measurable quantity :)
Mmm, sounds reasonable!

That's not how it was explained to me many years ago, but I never had enough interest to think it through.