45 SET

What people are working on at the moment
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#31 Re: 45 SET

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 pm
andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:08 pm Bugle was dead good but ... thinks... the 45se with the triode of an ecl82 and the pentode as ccs for the 45 - that was my fave rave.

Where on earth did it come from!?
Gordon Rankin ?

You sold it to me, I sold it to Mo (remember him ?) and I believe he had it modified, but I forget the details.
Im still in touch with Mo but have to say very long gaps in years between phone calls. Hes ever mentioned that amp to me. It may not be his any longer.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#32 Re: 45 SET

Post by Paul Barker »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:41 pm Was it a 'Rankin'? ... coming back to me ..... Mo used px4s and one went 'spung'. ( know the feeling) however I will have notes somewhere; like Bugle it may have originated in 'Sound Practices'.

Simon, I haven't got time this weekend. I too have some gorgeous ecl82s and enough 45s so I'm tempted myself. Can't remember the psu details at all tho'.
Im quite cross I lost my Sound Practices CD. Live in hope itll emerge from somewhere. I know you can still buy them. Money counts over here. Yes and we still wash up by hand and only dryer we have is the washing line still.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#33 Re: 45 SET

Post by Paul Barker »

Anyway arent st nos 45s still cheap? Arent hammond 126c still a bargain? Sukuma 45 anyone?
Paul Barker

#34 Re: 45 SET

Post by Paul Barker »

Its much harder from uk to search in usa, so I went on browser not an ebay app. Turned this up for me.

Ebay uk has never been any good for buying 45’s. The USA is drowning in 45’s.
Nick
Site Admin

#35 Re: 45 SET

Post by Nick »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:55 am
pre65 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 pm
andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:08 pm Bugle was dead good but ... thinks... the 45se with the triode of an ecl82 and the pentode as ccs for the 45 - that was my fave rave.

Where on earth did it come from!?
Gordon Rankin ?

You sold it to me, I sold it to Mo (remember him ?) and I believe he had it modified, but I forget the details.
Im still in touch with Mo but have to say very long gaps in years between phone calls. Hes ever mentioned that amp to me. It may not be his any longer.
Well whoever owns it may want to consider storage costs as its still here
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: 45 SET

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:55 am

Well whoever owns it may want to consider storage costs as its still here
I thought Mo was getting Nick to do some "work" on the 45, but that was quite a long while ago.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#37 Re: 45 SET

Post by Nick »

He never specified what that work would be so it's just sat there.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#38 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

Well, if I'd be doing you a favour Nick I'll take it off your hands :lol:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#39 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:22 am Its much harder from uk to search in usa, so I went on browser not an ebay app. Turned this up for me.

I bought mine for £15 each on US ebay IIRC - they've gone up less than small signal valves. Bonkers.
Nick
Site Admin

#40 Re: 45 SET

Post by Nick »

Im still in touch with Mo but have to say very long gaps in years between phone calls.
How do you distinguish that from "its been years since I last heard from Mo"?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#41 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:06 pm There's a lot in here, page 3 is where I made the decision about the power supply -
https://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/vie ... r&start=30

Later on somewhere around page 7 or 8 is where I had a U-turn about the driver and went for a pentode.
Thanks, an interesting (re)read
Paul Barker

#42 Re: 45 SET

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:43 am
Im still in touch with Mo but have to say very long gaps in years between phone calls.
How do you distinguish that from "its been years since I last heard from Mo"?
Well, because I had a phone call recently hence now, but might be over 10 years the previous call. So when i said above it was incorrect. In his call he checked a few things hes left in storage here.

Completely new subject, dont hear from Darren any more.
Paul Barker

#43 Re: 45 SET

Post by Paul Barker »

simon wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:38 am
Paul Barker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:22 am Its much harder from uk to search in usa, so I went on browser not an ebay app. Turned this up for me.

I bought mine for £15 each on US ebay IIRC - they've gone up less than small signal valves. Bonkers.
Me and Darren shared a batch probably £25 each. But factor in meeting in the middle to divvy out, and the fact their price was stagnant for many years. If wed bought small signal valves……..
Nick
Site Admin

#44 Re: 45 SET

Post by Nick »

If you hear from him again mention that I plan to clear the workshop out soon to replace the roof so it would be good to find alternative storage otherwise Simon can store them for him.
Paul Barker

#45 Re: 45 SET

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:02 pm If you hear from him again mention that I plan to clear the workshop out soon to replace the roof so it would be good to find alternative storage otherwise Simon can store them for him.
I know how you feel.