45 SET

What people are working on at the moment
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#121 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

Thanks Phil, me too. It's been a bit of an interesting one.

I don't have any "full range" speakers to test it on at the moment as I'm using active crossovers, but above 415Hz it sounds nice!
Nick
Site Admin

#122 Re: 45 SET

Post by Nick »

Well, all being well, I now (show last weekend) have tested the packing boxes to put the OB's in and have a van booked for Owston so we should be able to try your amp with them which I look forward to.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#123 Re: 45 SET

Post by ed »

too much time on the golf course, not enough in the workroom...
snigger
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#124 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

That's great Nick, looking forward to it too. We can all crowd round them to hear the mighty 2W :-).
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#125 Re: 45 SET

Post by Dave the bass »

simon wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:28 pm
Now I've just remembered I didn't reconnect the driver grid leak resistors...
Shoddy!

Well done on the fault finding though, rewarding innits?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#126 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

If ever the usage of that word were apt it's now :lol:.
But yes, very satisfying to have sorted it (without any apparent damage except for the IEC input).
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#127 Re: 45 SET

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hooorah! I'm just catching up but hoorah again. Dropping in and out of WiFi somewhere just east of Windermere the real world seems a long way away.

ONWARDS!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#128 Re: 45 SET

Post by Dave the bass »

simon wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:35 pm If ever the usage of that word were apt it's now :lol:.
Heheheh, I remember working with you and NickG on your 3 stage amp on the floor at Owston, low OP on one channel, the spare OPTX secondaries were neatly bunched up but unexpectedly contacting the earthed bracketry that held the LS terminals. "That'd do it!" was the collective joyous cry :)

Funny how some faults stick in your brain innits?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#129 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

Yeah that sticks in my mind too - it went through it again this weekend when I was thinking about what the problem might be lol. But this time I've used plywood to mount the binding posts now ally so that was easy to rule out!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#130 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

But the bit I remember most is when you announced to the room that "Simon's done a poo poo". :-D
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#131 Re: 45 SET

Post by Dave the bass »

:lol: Lorra lorra expensive parts in that amp.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#132 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

I always think it best not time add up component parts. Especially if an "audit" is being carried out :oops:
Nick
Site Admin

#133 Re: 45 SET

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:50 pm I always think it best not time add up component parts. Especially if an "audit" is being carried out :oops:
Yep, but they are all used, so a lot cheaper now.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#134 Re: 45 SET

Post by simon »

Yep. And TBF there's an awful lot of recycling happened over the last 15+ years. There's a fair bit of that amp in the 45 amp now.

I wince now when I see how much more some things cost. Like little 5751s at £80 a pop. Makes me realise how little I've bought over recent years.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#135 Re: 45 SET

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes Simon, vt4c’s have rocketed. Even gm70’s and gk71’s, though not on the same scale as Western valves, since Russian conflict have doubled..

I cant get a figure on V1505’s any longer as ebay searches for the various designations come up blank. When I and Darren first searched them ebay searches at least knew what we were talking about. now ebay is clueless what Im searching. But with new Chinese production costing $1200 Western manufactured versions certainly worth a lot more than the prices we both paid back then.

At one time military ECC82’s cost me £5 from Derek Rocco, relative price today multiples of that.

But, there is a risk the bottom will fall out of the market. I dont really care, when Im all burned up at crem nothing of such trivia will matter.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein