Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
chris661
Shed dweller

#1 Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by chris661 »

Per the title :)

I'll start:
- 2.5-way speakers that made an appearance last year, but with updated tweeters & crossovers.
- Crown MA5002VZ amp, which I'm happy to lend out for if anyone needs more power
- MOTU M4 USB audio interface/DAC
- Laptop as source
- Maybe a surprise

If anyone wants acoustic measurements doing during a quiet bit, let me know and I'll bring the mic & stand.

Chris
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

OK,
Feeling a little bit guilty for being a miserable bastard, so below is what I will bring. I intend to bring a complete old school early '90s style system, CD based, none of that streaming or computer audio zillion-bit warp-speed upsampling flimflammery.

NVA based solid state amplifier, with increased feedback levels, Zobel and inductor protected output stage. So really it's no longer an NVA.
I might have renamed it the 'WHAT THE FECK HAVE YOU DONE YOU EEJIT!' by the time of the meet, because that's probably what RD would have said upon finding out what I did to it. :D
Mission 731 speakers
Drainpipe stands (incredibly wobbly.)
Linn Mimik CD player.

I can bring the SE valve amp with feedback if anyone is interested, but it'll have to be connected to someone else's (very efficient) speakers. The Missions are nowhere near efficient enough for it to be used with them in that room. It would not be fair to the poor thing and would certainly fail to show what the amp is capable of.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
steve s
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by steve s »

I'd guess there will be a queue of high efficiency speakers Steve. Great news..thanks
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by Mike H »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:01 pm NVA based solid state amplifier, with increased feedback levels, Zobel and inductor protected output stage. So really it's no longer an NVA.
I might have renamed it the 'WHAT THE FECK HAVE YOU DONE YOU EEJIT!' by the time of the meet, because that's probably what RD would have said upon finding out what I did to it. :D
I at least would be interesed in this.:D

Note I'm not staying over Friday night so will be arriving at The Owston hopefully not too late Saturday morning. (I am staying over 'til Sunday.)

I could bring something but will only be something you've heard before. I might get the EL84 p-p going again (that Ant made a wood case for), following it having a transformer fire, and then the mains switch disintegrated (literally).

I fancy seeing if I can power it with the SMPS HT and heater supplies. Bookshelf speakers most probably.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#5 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by Paul Barker »

If I can climb out of my nose dive all I could now bring would be my amplifier. Nothing else Ive talked about has progressed, and probably wont for another 5 or 10 years if ever.

The amplifier is parallel single ended 801a. Ill just do Saturday.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#6 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by Paul Barker »

OK,

1/ I didnt put the date in my non existent diary. Whats the date please?

2/ Im not working on anything new but a ACF2 McDonald. But might not have it complete but happy to bring what Ive made so far, to show and tell with any individuals considering one.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by Mike H »

I've got it down as 22 - 23 October. Hope that's right! :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

#8 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by Paul Barker »

Oh yes, there it is in my phone diary. Must be right then.
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by steve s »

Same dates are in my calendar.. we have at least dome consensus
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by Nick »

dome consensus - One of the less well known prog bands from the 70's
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
chris661
Shed dweller

#11 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by chris661 »

Oh, I thought that was the tendency of HiFi manufacturers to use dome tweeters.

Chris
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:37 am dome consensus - One of the less well known prog bands from the 70's

steve s
Shed dweller

#13 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by steve s »

I don't know if that was spell check or me.. more than likely me..
ed
retired

#14 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by ed »

ooh err..Steve has just nudged me awake with his feedback thread....
I hope to bring the following, untouched since it was built, to see if it's still up to snuff:
srpp-2a3-near-sm.jpg
srpp-2a3-near-sm.jpg (65.14 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
lra-circuit-0311-sm.jpg
lra-circuit-0311-sm.jpg (102.28 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
together with these slight cosmetic disappointments
100_3908-sm.jpg
100_3908-sm.jpg (46.95 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
brig001
Old Hand

#15 Re: Owston 2022 - What're you bringing?

Post by brig001 »

Loving the transparent enclosures on the downward firing subs!

I’ll be bringing my Ikea salad bowls which won’t be suited to such a large room, but will be interesting to see what a large dose of DSP can make them do
069FB6AA-0E8A-452B-B97A-A23ED6605FD9.jpeg
069FB6AA-0E8A-452B-B97A-A23ED6605FD9.jpeg (191.05 KiB) Viewed 3006 times
Brian