My Swansong speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#196 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Last Nick and Andrew were over my place for a mini meet gathering Nick asked me about the possibility of getting a pair these speakers to the forthcoming North West Audio Show, taking place on the 17th and 18th June 2023 at the fabulous De Vere Estate, Cranage in Cheshire.

With the show in mind and that they would be likely driven by Nick's LDA P6100M monoblock amplifiers rather then my LDA 300B monoblocks that I normally use at home with these speakers, we switched amps to my prototype LDA P6 amps. I have to say (and all agreed) the difference in performance was hardly noticeable. The P6's delivering a midrange and HF magic same as the 300B's.

The outcome of our conversations being that Nick offered to have made a bespoke pair of shipping boxes for the speakers and will arrange suitable transport etc. to and from the show. Nick also offered that subject to a available room he would book me in for the show. With the shipping boxes in mind, with the help of Lynn, we weighed the speakers and each weigh in at 53.7Kgs. :tongue9:

So I can confirm that these speakers they will be at the North West Audio Show in June. Hope to see and have a chat with some you there.
Last edited by Toppsy on Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#197 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by IslandPink »

I was just talking to Nick the other day about whether the show is on, and I'm planning to come. So this will be a real bonus.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
gninnam
Old Hand

#198 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by gninnam »

Wow - did not see this coming Colin :shock:
I wasn't planning on going to the show but might be tempted now :D

What front end will be used?
Nick
Site Admin

#199 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Nick »

Undecided turntable. Probably jfet phono for simplicity and MFA transformer preamp.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
gninnam
Old Hand

#200 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by gninnam »

Nick wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:56 pm Undecided turntable. Probably jfet phono for simplicity and MFA transformer preamp.
Interesting combo - sounding like it could be a killer system.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#201 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by simon »

I might try to pop along too to hear Colin's speakers. Just had a Google and I see it's free entry, which is my favourite price. Tickets can be booked now - is there a danger of turning up on the day and not being able to get in?
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#202 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Paul Barker »

Toppsy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:43 am Last Nick and Andrew were over my place for a mini meet gathering Nick asked me about the possibility of getting a pair these speakers to the forthcoming North West Audio Show, taking place on the 17th and 18th June 2023 at the fabulous De Vere Estate, Cranage in Cheshire.

With the show in mind and that they would be likely driven by Nick's LDA P6100M monoblock amplifiers rather then my LDA 300B monoblocks that I normally use at home with these speakers, we switched amps to my prototype LDA P6 amps. I have to say (and all agreed) the difference in performance was hardly noticeable. The P6's delivering a midrange and HF magic same as the 300B's.

The outcome of our conversations being that Nick offered to have made a bespoke pair of shipping boxes for the speakers and will arrange suitable transport etc. to and from the show. Nick also offered that subject to a available room he would book me in for the show. With the shipping boxes in mind, with the help of Lynn, we weighed the speakers and each weigh in at 53.7Kgs. :tongue9:

So I can confirm that these speakers they will be at the North West Audio Show in June. Hope to see and have a chat with some you there.
Heavy, must sound great.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#203 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Interesting combo - sounding like it could be a killer system.
I do so hope that no one dies or is killed from listening to the set up :lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#204 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by pre65 »

I'd love to go to the show, never been to one before, but sadly I can't. I'm supposed to be in Majorca enjoying myself.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#205 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by vinylnvalves »

Dave and I have booked tickets, will pop in for a bit of tyre kicking :D Haven’t been to the northwest show for years, must be nearly as long ago as the Chesterfield show maybe.
Andrew
Eternally single

#206 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Andrew »

pre65 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:13 pm I'd love to go to the show, never been to one before, but sadly I can't. I'm supposed to be in Majorca enjoying myself.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
gninnam
Old Hand

#207 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by gninnam »

Tickets booked - just got to inform the wife now :)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#208 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by IslandPink »

Nice one Andrew - had totally forgotten that !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#209 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Last weekend AndrewL and Nick came over for a mini get together so I decided it would be nice to place my old speakers alongside my new so we could compare now the new speakers are fully run-in. It was also hoped Chris (chris661) could join us and experiment driving the Edingdale GT's fully active with active amps and DSP from Chris. Unfortunately Chris couldn't make the gathering due to work commitments. Perhaps another time as this would be an interesting experiment. It's not until one places my Edingdale GT speakers next to my 'swansong' speakers one realises the size difference.

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#210 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Dave the bass »

Thats a heck of a lot of drivers! I like it.

Did you try running them all at once? I know I would :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"