My Swansong speaker build

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Max N
Old Hand

#106 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Max N »

Thanks Scott, as usual there’s a lot of info in that response that I’ll digest and store away. I just noticed what time you posted, so thanks for that as well, it’s much appreciated. The response of that midrange array looks very promising (and the sensitivity)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#107 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Due to few procurement issues and personal matters, it's been a while since I had anything to add to the progress of this build.

Anyway, I have now fully finished the build and veneering of the cabinets and last week they were returned from the spray shop, having been given several professional sprayed on coats of 2-pack clear matt lacquer. In the flesh I do have to say they look rather splendid. I am now awaiting on delivery of the passive XO components for the tweeter and midrange polar array drivers to finally finish them off and get down to the testing and fine tuning. I am hoping the passive components will be delivered sometime this week.

A few photos of the finished cabinets with all the drivers installed and wired up:

EDIT.
Just like to add that the main veneer on the speakers is Crown cut Maple with American Black Walnut as the central contrasting strip that is bordered by 6mm wide black edging. As always, they do look better in the flesh then the photos suggest. But then I bound to be biased in that opinion. :wink:

UPDATE:
Just received an email from HFC to say my order is in the post and due for delivery tomorrow (Tuesday). So it'll be onwards and forwards with the passive XO build. :D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#108 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Cressy Snr »

Fabulously shoddy Colin. :D
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
gninnam
Old Hand

#109 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by gninnam »

You take shoddy to a new level :mrgreen:

Look bloody marvellous with that finish but looking at the drives make my eyes go funny.....
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#110 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ali Tait »

Very nice!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#111 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Ray P »

Looing great Colin and not to long to wait to enjoy the fruits of your labours...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#112 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by IslandPink »

Impressive stuff, like the 'look' .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#113 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by pre65 »

The quality of workmanship and finish are a credit to you Colin. :)

Can't say I like the look of them though, all those drivers look a bit "messy".

But, if you like the design and the way they sound then more power to your elbow.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#114 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Thanks guys, for your kind comments.
One does try ones best and these are after all my swansong speakers. Don't think I have it in me anymore to build and develop another pair speakers so wanted (and hoped) these to be something special and different from your run-of-the-mill typical single full range driver with super tweeter helper DIY speaker.
pre65 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:49 pm
Can't say I like the look of them though, all those drivers look a bit "messy".
Phil, in what way are the look of the drivers a bit 'messy'?
They are mounted in a very orderly, tidy and specific arrangement, with the midrange and high frequency drivers as a D'Appolito arrangement with twin bass drivers below. All very neat. Nothing messy about it. The polar arrangements of the midrange drivers are a specific design feature and one I wanted in my new speakers, but obviously not to your taste.
ed
retired

#115 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by ed »

would busy be a more appropriate description.....

Very personal, and just opinion but even after time to aclimatise, they always bring to mind dominos.

nevertheless, awesome cabinet work Colin.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#116 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

I like Dominos :)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#117 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by pre65 »

Toppsy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:55 pm I like Dominos :)
Which flavour ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#118 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Tony Moore »

I really like the look of them!

Superb work Colin!
Andrew
Eternally single

#119 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Andrew »

I had the privilege of seeing these 'in the flesh' last weekend, the photos don't do them justice. Looking forward to hearing them :)
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#120 Re: My Swansong speaker build

Post by Toppsy »

Just finished the first of the two breadboarded 1st pass prototype passive filters is now complete:

Not too bothered at this stage about neatness, just need to get something working to hook up to the speakers externally for initial testing and I will tidy up the final version once we are happy. I' will be upgrading some of the caps and all the resistors in the final build version.

Here's what Scott had to say regards the passive XO:

Key phrase there is '1st pass'. There's a passive low pass in there that you can ignore, I had to look at it to get an eye for LF target slope matching, the midrange HP is basically B2 at 300Hz, give or take.
I've gone for a 'vintage' take on the filter design, so functionally it's quite simple with 2nd order electrical filters throughout and some padding / damping resistors. This is basically what the pioneers used & JBL et al continued to use through the '70s & '80s with their monsters like the L300, 4343, 250Ti etc., targeting a respectably flat frequency and power response with decent control over the drivers and a fairly benign impedance load. Some of the resistors are doubled up to avoid possible burnouts, and for 'period correct', I've included the classic bypasses JBL used in their classic high-end gear in the form of 0.01uF MKP (or PP&F) and 0.005uF PS&F shunts to the main cap values. Should be easy to fool with and adapt as desired but gives a starting point.

Should have the second board finished by tonight, ready for some initial listening early in the week. Sorting the bass out will have to wait until 'young' Chris come over to give me some guidance and help with the Hypex DSP programming.