Stringing a Schroeder copy

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by simon »

The Schroeder type arm that Will gave me some years ago is out of commission - the thread used to suspend the arm frayed and gave way. What are the options/best way of re-stringing, any thoughts?

I tried some thread but it was too stretchy. I had a Google and people recommended monofilament fishing line so bought some but I'm struggling to use it. I don't think it will stretch, but it's tricky to manipulate and seems slippier than teflon - knots just unknot themselves, even bowlines.

So what to use?
Ant
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by Ant »

I seem to remember will telling me to use kevlar thread when i was faffing with a schroeder clone
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by Nick »

It always used to knot fine when I used it for fishing (many years ago now). Have you checked on fishing website for suitable knots? Variations of the clinch seemed to be fine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
JamesD
Old Hand

#4 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by JamesD »

First one I used monofilament line using fishing knots and superglue dots when I built it. Second one used a non stretch fine cord (0.8mm dia.).

Now I would probably use a fine kevlar thread.

ciao James
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#5 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by vinylnvalves »

Dyneema, is what you want to be using, very low stretch. It what we use for bow strings nowadays, Kevlar frets and need lubricating with moly. I will have a look if there are any old strings lying about down the club.
JamesD
Old Hand

#6 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by JamesD »

Kevlar sewing thread doesn't fray to any extent if treated reasonably. I'll look up Dyneema is a new one for me - I'll look it up - thanks

James
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#7 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:40 pm It always used to knot fine when I used it for fishing (many years ago now). Have you checked on fishing website for suitable knots? Variations of the clinch seemed to be fine.
No. TBH when the bowline pulled out I figured it wasn't the right stuff. It's a pig to use anyway. Still, something else to Google that's never even crossed my mind before :-)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by simon »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:20 pm Dyneema, is what you want to be using, very low stretch. It what we use for bow strings nowadays, Kevlar frets and need lubricating with moly. I will have a look if there are any old strings lying about down the club.
Thanks that would be handy.

OTOH it doesn't look to be too expensive, not that I need 100m of it! What sort of thickness is good? I imagine even the thinnest will be string enough, but a little thicker might be easier to work with.

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#9 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by vinylnvalves »

Yes Spectra is one brand, we have lower stretch versions than that. We have a reel that I can cut a metre off and post it to you. It’s about 0.3mm diameter so you can loop it, if you want.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by simon »

That would be great thanks, I'll PM you
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#11 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by vinylnvalves »

Hopefully black will be okay.. Should be enough for a few arms :)
D67375F6-3E90-479F-92D7-717D85A42F27.jpeg
D67375F6-3E90-479F-92D7-717D85A42F27.jpeg (241.35 KiB) Viewed 7260 times
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#12 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by simon »

If my previous attempts are anything to go by it will be very much like doing a good few arms :-). Thanks.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13 Re: Stringing a Schroeder copy

Post by simon »

The dyneema arrived yesterday, it's a little odd, rather like black dental floss. Except I wouldn't want to use it for floss as I'd probably cut my teeth off.

It's much much easier to use than the fishing line. Just two attempts got the arm up and running. It remains to be seen how stable my knots are and whether it will creep with time.

I strung it a little differently to how Will had done it. No real reason apart from convenience, and I'm sure Will had a very good reason for why he did it his way. Time will tell how successful I've been.

What did surprise me was the improvement in sound. Bass was deeper and the treble more detailed. Nah, I'm kidding chaps, it's just a piece of string :-).