What should I hear?

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Nick
Site Admin

#16 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:24 am I love the way you decide what I think . Saves me a job
Yep For the record, my questions was a result of Phil's response to Chris.

Just thinking a bit more about
It's your ears that must decide.
And the response to what does that mean
Just what it says really.
If I was to take it as what it said, it would confuse me, as up to this point in my life, my ears have never made a decision for me. And I am not sure what it would feel like if they did. Its one of those HiFi deepity's that we all sometimes fall back into using.

https://www.philosophytalk.org/blog/dee ... d-bullshit
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:16 am
…If I was to take it as what it said, it would confuse me, as up to this point in my life, my ears have never made a decision for me. And I am not sure what it would feel like if they did. Its one of those HiFi deepity's that we all sometimes fall back into using…
I like that. :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#18 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Hifi is a solipsistic pastime it’s okay to trust your ears no matter how fallible
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#19 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Scottmoose »

Just wombling past this not especially fine day. I don't have much to do with audio these days other than listening to it & doing some commissions for Markaudio, but for what it's worth (as I don't think it's been directly said), re the two questions from the first post:
What should I hear?
and
What should I listen to/for to prove I’m an idiot for preferring sans x over?
In reverse order:
  • Nobody implied you are an idiot, and it would have been a trifle difficult to do so, given that said was in the first post of a thread you created. Granted, you are writing for effect, presumably to generate debate rather than seek information judging from it & subsequent comments (observation, no criticism implied), but it's a point worth stressing for the sake of clarity
For the first, a few notes, the overarching one being that there is no single answer to that question, and it is impossible for there to be a single answer (other than that). More particularly, it depends on:
-How much hearing damage you have, and the nature thereof. Since none of us have 'perfect' hearing, and it is damaged / decays in various ways & through various causes as we age, this applies to everybody, but is never going to be exactly the same.
-What your particular social background has preconditioned you to hear -whether it really exists or not. Again, all of us experience that, and those who claim not to be are typically (arguably by definition) those who have the greatest biases.
-The nature of the speaker itself. The initial question, in the absence of heavy clarification, seems to imply that if a person does X, you will invariably obtain Y results in all circumstances. Which is not the case. All loudspeakers are different; you have different drive units, with different frequency, impedance and distortion behaviour in different boxes (baffles or whatever); ergo they will sound different and not exhibit the same behaviour or sound the same if you treat them all exactly the same way. So -what 'should' you hear? Without knowing what the speaker & drivers are, plus the above -nobody can say exactly. It really is as simple as that.

You will note I have said nothing about method, for or against. Or alternatives for that matter. Method is method. They all have their own balance of advantages & disadvantages. You do whatever works for you (or to put it another way -whatever makes you happy).
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Nick
Site Admin

#20 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:49 am Hifi is a solipsistic pastime it’s okay to trust your ears no matter how fallible
Yes, its fine to pay attention to the information that the ears are giving you, but that's not "the ears deciding"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#21 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

You are disagreeing with me in the nick way 😂

And moose I stated I was an idiot I didn’t imply.

Thanks for sorting out my motivations , again saves me a job

For the record I resent your assumptions about my motivations , if I wasn’t interested in peoples responses I wouldn’t post

Obviously your time away was not spent reflecting
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#22 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Scottmoose »

Three minor points with that.

1/ I didn't say you were an idiot: I humorously pointed out that nobody had called you one.

2/ Since you have received comments & suggestions and rejected them outright with apparently little interest ('anathema' etc.), it is not unreasonable to conclude you were not actually very interested in them. QED.

3/ I don't care if you resent anything, especially when the 'resentment' is about something that doesn't exist. ;) I was in fact offering you a degree of qualified support, as you would see if you care to read what I actually wrote; how you managed to interpret that as a personal attack (i.e. the exact reverse of what was the case) is difficult to understand. Still, that's your business, and if it makes you happy, so much the better.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#23 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Just stop thinking you know my motivations.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#24 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Scottmoose »

I will continue to make assessments based on the information in front of me, and like any normal person, revise said as and when further becomes available. If you prefer to take offense when none was intended (I even went out of my way to state 'observation, no criticism intended' in the course of a post where I was actually offering you a modicum of support), that is, as ever, your prerogative.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#25 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

😂

No criticism intended , but fuck off😉
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#26 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Scottmoose »

Grow up.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#27 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I thought it was a very grown up demonstration of the absurdity of your rethoric .
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#28 Re: What should I hear?

Post by Scottmoose »

When somebody starts swearing, it generally means they are unable to accept they might have been wrong and are trying to avoid actually replying to what was said. Now, you can muck about inventing non-existent insults to take offense about, or you can actually get on with what you claim to be interested in -i.e. what you 'should' (or might) hear under xyz conditions. You've had plenty of comments on that; perhaps you could now say what the speaker and drive units are, then the rest of us might actually be able to give more specific pointers on that front.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#29 Re: What should I hear?

Post by IslandPink »

Sometimes it's used to humorous effect.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: What should I hear?

Post by pre65 »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:02 pm 😂

No criticism intended , but fuck off😉
For a educated man with a supposedly wide vocabulary that's a very immature way to reply to someone trying to help you.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)