I may actually like vinyl

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#1 I may actually like vinyl

Post by Tony Moore »

Long story short...

After building the "Douglas Self Trimodal" amp that i brought to Owston recently i was looking for another project so went with Douglas' phono amp pcb.

I had a rega p2 (fairly recent) and Nagaoka Mp20 (late 80's) so was using the MM inputs on the phono. Quite nice but still much as i envisioned vinyl from my growing up years.

Then i saw Vinyl Ants post about the DL301 MK2 and i decided to take a risk. Got one from Japan. Wow. What I've been missing! I can't believe the lack of surface noise and the extra dynamics, lovely mids and sweet treble. I am really impressed.

I feel a rabbit hole approaches...

Argh, nooooo
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: I may actually like vinyl

Post by IslandPink »

Come in, join us !
We'll be your friends. Not like the others...
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#3 Re: I may actually like vinyl

Post by Tony Moore »

Awww, thanks Mark! 😁

I'm not rabbit hole averse, it has to be said. I've certainly gone on some wacky DIY expeditions over the years.

I just never considered vinyl as a potential bunny void.

Onwards and downwards!
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: I may actually like vinyl

Post by Paul Barker »

I can’t disagree I’ve always been in the analogue camp. ATM I can’t afford the expense. Or time to collect my deck and set it all up again. Not to mention fuel costs.

So I’m testing op amps in my DAC for the meantime…. It’s a lot cheaper than cartridge rolling.Vinyl is for the rich from where I’m deposited!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: I may actually like vinyl

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:17 am...Vinyl is for the rich from where I’m deposited!
You’re not wrong there Paul.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ant
Shed dweller

#6 Re: I may actually like vinyl

Post by Ant »

I must be a bad influence
But youre right paul, its a very expensive game these days.

The days of getting a bargain are long gone unless you are willing to take a punt on decks that have issues and fix them, like the xerxes i got recently.

The only relative bargains are still lencos, 150 quid ish is still not a great deal of money, but a far cry fron the 15 quid they used to go for. if you can put the time and effort into modernising them, the guts are practically bomb proof.

Old cartridges are a minefield, ive given up on getting anything that hasnt got a history, comes from a dealer with a warranty of some sort, or comes from someone i would trust. Or is new.

Arms arent too bad in terms of wear and reliability, but anything reasonable is expensive. A typical 3009 is still 250 to 300 quid, more if its an early one, and there are plenty of better arms available. Ive a collection of around 10 arms in various states of repair. The tabriz i got recently was a bargain but a circumstantial one. If it had been listed on ebay accurately it would have been a sight more expensive.

The amount of old crap that is either knackered, broken, or just plain rubbish that is hawked as classic is maddening
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
shane
Social outcast

#7 Re: I may actually like vinyl

Post by shane »

At the risk of banging my own drum, Heybrook TT2s come up on eBay fairly regularly below £500. There are very few issues with them that can’t be sorted relatively easily.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#8 Re: I may actually like vinyl

Post by Ant »

The heybrook is one ive wanted to get my hands on for a long time, that one and the logic dm101. Neither have ever come up for me at the right time at the right price. Neither seem to come up very often and always seem to have a nice arm on them too
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
shane
Social outcast

#9 Re: I may actually like vinyl

Post by shane »

There’s a slightly scruffy one on eBay at the moment with no arm for £190:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203934437029 ... media=COPY
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.