Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#46 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:21 am I think me and Dave are planning to be so that's a reason to stay away.
:lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#47 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:57 am Im still coming, but none of any new projects finished. I’ll bring the repaired (from its first disgraceful showing) 801a PSE.
Ive found a dvd player I’d obviously bought speculating using its transport before blue ray was invented. Tested it via optical out to the beresford and it sounds fine, if not better than my usual Apple TV. So I can bring my own source. Dont have much in CD’s but no doubt someone will bring something they like to use for testing.

If Im feeling strong enough I’ll bring the plasterboard OB’s. Basically Ive damaged the structures which connect my forearm muscles to my elbow. After resting it I may be fit enough to manage these things. No guaranty’s stated or implied.

My head is in a mess too, but Im going to try to emulate a pcb for acfII out of track board. As I cant trust my mind to wire up point to point without geting lost. Very unlikely acfII will progress sufficiently.

I still have the 833a amplifier so for next Owston after this one I’ll have acfII, the 801a amp (probably adapted to acfII if that sounds better than the triode d3a IT coupled VA/driver) and the 833a amp. Better times are coming.

Really excited to hear Nicks baffles if they're ready.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#48 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by Ali Tait »

pre65 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:03 pm I'm still not sure what I'm doing for Owston, but is there going to be anyone in the pub on the Friday evening ?

I'd hate to miss the "talking bullshit seminar". :lol:
I'll be there Phil.
steve s
Shed dweller

#49 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by steve s »

Latest update..

Chris +1 sat &sun
Ray p sat
Ali sat &sun
Steve c sat
Nick g sat &sun
Dave sat
Paul b sat
Ed sat
Colin +2 sat
Andrew l sat
Ant sat
Dave &
Meridith sat&sun
Tony m sat
Mark j sat
Mike h sat &sun
Ian sat
Brian sat & sun
Me sat & sun
Mayebaza sat & sun

Anyone else ..
Thanks
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#50 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by steve s »

Paul Barker wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:45 am

Ive found a dvd player I’d obviously bought speculating using its transport before blue ray was invented. Tested it via optical out to the beresford and it sounds fine, if not better than my usual Apple TV. So I can bring my own source. Dont have much in CD’s but no doubt someone will bring something they like to use for testing.

If Im feeling strong enough I’ll bring the plasterboard OB’s. Basically Ive damaged the structures which connect my forearm muscles to my elbow. After resting it I may be fit enough to manage these things. No guaranty’s stated or implied.

My head is in a mess too, but Im going to try to emulate a pcb for acfII out of track board. As I cant trust my mind to wire up point to point without geting lost. Very unlikely acfII will progress sufficiently.

I still have the 833a amplifier so for next Owston after this one I’ll have acfII, the 801a amp (probably adapted to acfII if that sounds better than the triode d3a IT coupled VA/driver) and the 833a amp. Better times are coming.

Really excited to hear Nicks baffles if they're ready.
Good stuff Paul, be great to catch up
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
lindsayt
User

#51 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by lindsayt »

Please add me for the Saturday. Thanks.

Looking forward to it.
steve s
Shed dweller

#52 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by steve s »

Latest update gents, only 2 more weekends to go, in looking forwards to it, I had a great weekend at the wam show, met quite a few from here.
I'll need final numbers around 5 days before the meet
Thanks

Chris +1 sat &sun
Ray p sat
Ali sat &sun
Steve c sat
Nick g sat &sun
Dave sat
Paul b sat
Ed sat
Colin +2 sat
Andrew l sat
Ant sat
Dave &
Meridith sat&sun
Tony m sat
Mark j sat
Mike h sat &sun
Ian sat
Brian sat & sun
Me sat & sun
Mayebaza sat & sun
Lindsay sat
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#53 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by simon »

I'm hoping to come down for a bit in Saturday Steve. I've not been too well of late (nothing contagious!) and get tired fairly quickly but I would really like to hear this 45 amp I've thrown together with Nick's baffles if I can. And if I can debug it in time (it's eating fuses at an alarming rate and I'm waiting for a delivery to replenish supplies).
Nick
Site Admin

#54 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by Nick »

Which fuses are going? Maybe we can help with that.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#55 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by ed »

45 is not big enough to eat fuses!
You've done something wrong(he said in a whiny schoolboy kinda voice)
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#56 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:50 am 45 is not big enough to eat fuses!
You've done something wrong(he said in a whiny schoolboy kinda voice)
Well, if its eating fuses, then maybe he has also done something right by adding fuses so the problem is apparent.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#57 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by simon »

Really ed, do you think?! :lol:

It's a 2.5A slow blow which fails immediately. So there is something really wrong somewhere. I don't have any spare fuses to investigate at the moment, but I'm not really the full ticket to be poking around the amp. This isn't the thread for it though.
brig001
Old Hand

#58 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by brig001 »

Put a 60W filament lamp in series with the mains
If it glows brightly, you have a short somewhere, but hopefully not enough current will flow to let any smoke out
If it's a low power device, try a lower wattage lamp first

Brian
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#59 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by Paul Barker »

Filament lamp in series is good especially if it prevents inrush current, indicated by dimming after a few seconds. If so put an mov in series with the live to the amp.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203515737901 ... media=COPY
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#60 Re: Owston meet, Doncaster, 22&23 Oct 22

Post by Nick »

Ok better add soft start to avoid the extra source impedance of the mov.

But that doesn't seem to be the problem here so its unlikely to be the solution.