Owston dates 22

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#46 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by pre65 »

If enough of us are billeted at other than the golf club perhaps we could organise a taxi (or minibus) to and from the billet to the pub and back ?

I do like a drink (or two) on the Friday evening seminar.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#47 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by Greg »

Surely a place all can stay, reasonably priced with a nearby pub/restaurant and within 20/30 minutes from Owston is all that’s required. No need for taxis etc. There are three Premier Inns in Doncaster that fit the bill although Central is off site payed parking. The others are onsite and free. Brewers Fayre or Beefeater Grill. Approx £55 to £63 per night. Just a suggestion.

EDIT I appreciate this is not ideal for those with kit to keep safe Friday night or those who might want a drink during Saturday.

Alternatively, can Simon recommend somewhere good to stay?
Greg
Social outcast

#48 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by Greg »

Of the three, only the Lakeside hotel has its own on site free parking.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#49 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by simon »

I'll have a think, never stayed in a hotel so not an expert. But it's racing on the Friday and Saturday, which might be why the availability/prices aren't good. You probably want to give town a wide berth, it can get a bit lively after a day of drinking.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#50 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes agree with Simon if its racing weekend stay clear of Doncaster hotels, premier in is particularly full on those days and standing room only in the attached pub/restaurante. Not to mention carpark at Lakeside full on race day. I lived in that premier inn for 6 months with British Gas. On Race days I couldnt even get my £20 evening meal allowance spent. Had to drive far away from that area to find somewhere to eat.

I cant make a suggestion on any easily accessible towns in range of Owston. Itll be a question of people searching for accomodation now and pooling their findings in here before booking their hotel. Last Owston I learned my lesson to not leave it last minute.

Ill just drive over for the Saturday this time with this in mind.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Greg
Social outcast

#51 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by Greg »

Good advice, Simon and Paul, thank you. It is indeed big race days on the Friday and Saturday at Doncaster. Looking around further, options on accommodation are pretty thin. There is Premier Inn at Pontefract North which we used to use for Eggborough. That is under 20 minutes away from Owston at £61 a night.
Last edited by Greg on Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#52 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by simon »

The north side of Donny is a bit tricky for accommodation. There isn't much, and the area's pretty rough in parts. You're probably looking at half an hour drive from most options aroind Donny. You pays yer money and takes yer choice.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#53 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by simon »

Rogerthorpe Manor is probably the closest and is a nice country hotel, though I've only been to a couple of conferences. More expensive than Owston Hall though.

A quick search on Booking.com for options came up with (prices for 2 nights):

Holiday Inn Express, a little closer to the M18 from Lakeside. £203. Next to a carvery type place.

Innkeepers Lodge.Toby Carvery. (Punches Hotel for thems as remember it on the Great North Road before Doncaster was bypassed around 1959.) £110. Adequate.

Best Western Plus Pastures Hotel. £165. Pastures Lodge built by former Wednesday player Geoff Salmons. Not one for Will ;-). Steve and Ant's neck of the woods.

King's Chamber. By M18 J6. £125. Cross country to Owston.

Holiday Inn A1M J36. Large hotel. £194. Convenient for A1 at least.

They're all 25 to 30 mins drive.

Darrington by Greene King (search for Pontefract rather than Doncaster) £110. Quarter of an hour or so.
steve s
Shed dweller

#54 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by steve s »

Has any checked the cost of owston Hall Hotel for the weekend agreed ?

I think the weekend after is free at the pub too.. we could change to that one if everyone agreed and of course the rooms are that much cheaper to warrant a change?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#55 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by Nick »

I have already booked a room for the 22'd. Was £86 a night. But if they are less busy the next week I guess they will move the booking, especially if they get more from here booking. Maybe worth seeing if we could get a group rate if there are enough?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#56 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by Nick »

May be going mad here, but Owston have rooms on 21&22 Oct at £86 a night. It looks to me as if its September that's full.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#57 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by steve s »

In that case we leave it as it is, it was £120 last meet if I remember correctly
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#58 Re: Owston dates 22

Post by Ali Tait »

Just booked, £101 with breakfast.