Roksan xerxes

What people are working on at the moment
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#16 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Crikey! I've a 3009 which needs rewiring; I've got some Litz wire....I'd forgotten.

Mayware, yep, was good but a bit too clunky mechanical.

And the jvc 11 inch is upstairs, gathering dust but very good, imho 😉
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ant
Shed dweller

#17 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

Yep the jvc arms are rather good, had a ua5045 years back and liked it. The 11" one is a 7045 i think? Cant remember what mine came off though

Could always take the air bearing arm off the jbe. On second thoughts
Maybe not..

Should have kept the audiomods i had, that would have gone straight on
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Cressy Snr »

I would try another cartridge in the RB300 first before doing anything else.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#19 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yes of course.

I only had a denon 103.... still have. I'm happy.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ant
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

No 103s here, they are not my glass of pop

Plenty of other stuff though, an old empire something, some audio technica mm's, a 2m blue, some other stuff there will be something that works

Ant
Shed dweller

#21 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

Listening to the lenco/cx unipivot/vmn50sh combo this morning after the xerxes/rb300/mc1 combo and there is a marked difference in how easy the lenco is to listen to.

No straining to pick out things, soundstage depth and height, everything solidly in place, the starts and stops are not smeared.

It is much more involving

I kind of took those things for granted before trying the roksan

Ant
Shed dweller

#22 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

I think the best idea is to make a new boss for my arm and fit that to it given the difference in percieved performance between the lenco and the roksan, it can stay as is for now until i get round to it
The stupidly hot psu is the next thing on the list to deal with as playing more than 1 lp means it gets too hot for my liking. It does settle once up to temperature but id rather it didnt go pop again. There are other bits in there i want to investigate anyway.

Ive also decided i like lids, i cant tell any blimmin difference whatsoever with the lid on, off, or on and shut.
Not sure where the taking off of lids came from but i cant see why.
Getting hold of an original lid for the jvc would be expensive, the jbe one got smashed by a courier years ago so id probably have to have one made. Same for the lenco, none of the original lenco lids i have will fit.

Another load of old cobblers? Or am i just cloth eared...

Ant
Shed dweller

#23 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

Got a proper vta adjuster coming for the rb300, only cost a tenner, means it can go on something else and be useable

I also found the acetal mounting boss i made for one of the early versions of my arm, i cant remember if the pillar diameter was the same size, but its a 30mm long one so hopefully it fits the arm i can try my arm on it without having to make another boss

Ant
Shed dweller

#24 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

Change of plan.
I picked up a cheap roksan tabriz arm for it. Stuck in a cheeky bid with 5 seconds left and it finished on 160 quid. Wasnt expecting to win it with such a rediculous bid. Daft thing is that it was up as spares or repair because of some paint chips, these chips are where its rubbed going into the arm clip. Not a thing wrong with it otherwise.....

I dont think i could have got a bog stock rega for that, or anything else that is even reasonable for that money

So the tabriz will go on this, probably with the dv20 in it and the rb300 will go on the big lenco with the vta adjuster which ive since worked out is a mitchell one.

I might have a play with the milling machine and make a so called intelligent counterweight for it. Its just a bit of bent metal attached to a brass block, how hard could it be...

Onwards!
Last edited by Ant on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#25 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I’ve got some intelligent counterweight parts you can have . Mainly the brass weight and the u bend . There stripped so well want painting. I can’t find the screw that sits in the whole on the o ring attached to the arm .

Yours if you can use them .
Ant
Shed dweller

#26 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

Yes please, id like to see if there is any difference between a normal counterweight and a wobbly one, when i did the lenco with the tabriz on i didnt have the normal counterweight available to compare

Making the ring that sits on the stub will be interesting, ill have to try to grind a tiny cutting tool to cut the internal grooves for the o rings in the bore to sit in, and find some way of making an indicator line on the face so that the dimple for the point to sit in can be lined up with the line on the top of the stub

Should be a nice little project

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#27 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I’ve got the ring . It will be hard to make because it’s metal with a rubber ring inside . The only thing I haven’t got is the pointy screw that goes through the unbend and then sits on the ring .

Pm your address and I’ll dig them out
Andrew
Eternally single

#28 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Andrew »

The photos look great, Ant.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Ant
Shed dweller

#29 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

Made some progress, got the tabriz fitted along with the dynavector dv20, and milled a dirty great hole in the top of the power supply cover
The psu cover has then had some mesh hot melt glued into said hole, and the whole thing resprayed.

Found some black spray paint that has given a finish practically indistinguishable from the original black ash finish.

Im not sure if the original finish was a cellulose paint but this is acrylic and is a very good match. A light top coat of clear coat has made it look stock.

Its spitting out a heck of alot of heat through the new vent, but isnt retaining it in the box now. Im not concerned that its going to keel over and die after a side now. Although it does need taking out of the rack and putting on the top as the heat its spitting out is pretty errr hot

With the changes its much betterer.

It has dynamics now and is much more interesting

Ant
Shed dweller

#30 Re: Roksan xerxes

Post by Ant »

couple of pics, I found an actual tabriz finger lift in my box of bits and pieces, I bought it when I was using the Audio Technica AT1100

ImageRoksan xerxes, tabriz, dv20x2h, vented psu by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

and of the psu

ImageRoksan xerxes, tabriz, dv20x2h, vented psu by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

I used the milling machine to mill straight through the top mdf trim and the aluminium cover so that the holes would line up perfectly rather than trying to match both parts up. It could probably do with a few holes in the baseplate too to allow it to pull cool air in from the underneath, but its much better than it was

I haven't compared it to the other decks yet, I'm not sure I can be arsed to to be honest, but at least the bloody thing is now worth listening to.

I've listened to spandau ballet and yes 9644767584. had to play something on it that was period correct

platter still needs polishing

onwards!