What should we do about rising energy prices?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#31 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Paul Barker »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:42 am So the main conclusion is a good service engineer is more important than the boiler. That’s the big challenge as most of the heating engineers around us, come with a computer to plug in, to tell you what’s wrong. :( Need to find a guy who deals with the commercial side as they generally are more experienced.
Thanks for your opinion on ATAG, I have noticed that Viessmann have stainless steel heat exchangers - will have to ask around to understand how reliable they are, don’t have the 14 year warranty the ATAG have though.
Yes some commercial engineers still strip and clean.

no its about design as as much as engineer. Not a fan of viessman.

The Worcesters are my recommendation.

Youre atag choice is spot on though.

To meet the tighter government dictates many manifacturers are floundering, their systems, what in a car would be called an ecu, are over zealous and raise stupid faults. I dont find a lot of software well writen these days. aparently they use machines to write it. The net result is most boilers and especially Ideal, are held ra som by sh1t software nonitoring.

Worcester dont have this trait. Everything they make even down to the software is fixed i. house modified and never recurs. Their quality control ethos is second to none.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#32 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

Our large south facing windows are the main heat sink, about 30% of the rooms are windows. Yes great if the sun shines all the time, if that was true PV would be the answer... Reason why the horn factory is stopping to make secondary glazing frames this year, for a while.

I liked it yesterday when the head of the Bank of England said not to ask for pay rises this year... are the fat cats leading by example, no of course not. Think we need shares in energy companies, as the wind farms etc must be on for making a killing this year with the price they sell at 50% higher than last year, for the same infrastructure.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#33 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:50 am
That made me smile Steve, but to be honest I make a point of not watching any news programmes.
I hear snippets from lesley and what I read on here.. but it boils me up, so feel I'm better not listening or knowing, burying my head... yes, do I care.. no !
I think I’m going to have to do the same. We are being assaulted from every direction. The world has gone insane. I’m no longer willing to take any further part in this collective madness.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker

#34 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Paul Barker »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:25 am Our large south facing windows are the main heat sink, about 30% of the rooms are windows. Yes great if the sun shines all the time, if that was true PV would be the answer... Reason why the horn factory is stopping to make secondary glazing frames this year, for a while.

I liked it yesterday when the head of the Bank of England said not to ask for pay rises this year... are the fat cats leading by example, no of course not. Think we need shares in energy companies, as the wind farms etc must be on for making a killing this year with the price they sell at 50% higher than last year, for the same infrastructure.
Its not really like that though is it? The energy companies are paying more, and while the government banned them from puting up their retail prices to match new costs, a number of energy companies went bust. Its not their fault, its the price of wholesale oil etc which has gone up.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#35 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Paul Barker »

In the “combustion chamber” you have to be gas registered or retired gas operative to access.

In this thread there is nothing good! not a single positive.

ed
retired

#36 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by ed »

vinylnvalves wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:25 am Think we need shares in energy companies, as the wind farms etc must be on for making a killing this year with the price they sell at 50% higher than last year, for the same infrastructure.
is this factual?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#37 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Nick »

I think there is a jump there between gas and electricity prices.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

#38 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Paul Barker »

I know a poor man who already sleeps in his cupboard under the stairs for warmth. Such tacticks are what the poor are destined to going forward, and what I already pointed out electrically heated clothing. Much more efficient, but yes impractical. Depends where you are on Maslo’s Hierarchy of Needs. Well the poor are at cupboard under the stairs as we stand!
Paul Barker

#39 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Paul Barker »

A lot of the opinions and discussion points about these matters go on in the absence of the desolate poor contribution. I can give you that as a gas fitter going into all demographics. I see with my eyes and speak against government impossible plans (purely out of fear of the hyper green lobby) from desolate peoples perspective.

All gov and their advisers agenda is to pretend they are green enough to get voted in again. They have no answer to what will happen to the poor.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#40 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Energy companies are still paying massive dividends irrespective of increases in gas or petroleum. Just yesterday shell announced record profits.

The decision to put up gas prices rather than forsake dividends is just that a decision . Aided by the Tories allowing them .
steve s
Shed dweller

#41 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by steve s »

Interesting discussion gents..
Once shortages of materials, energy and transport take effect, for what ever reason increase, every company has to increase prices.
We'll all be footing the bill as a result, it will soon turn into the new 'norm' .

And when electricity prices do drop the government will be soon increasing vat on the bill to keep the taxes coming in..
Just need a little higher % of cars being charged at home for that to make good economic policy
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#42 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

The electricity feed in tariff is increasing by 7.5% in line with RPI, so maybe Nicks right and electricity isn’t increasing in line with gas.
What fills me with despair is new houses being built currently are not passive, if the estate near me is anything to go by. Cavity walls with a paltry 75mm gap filled with rock wool, so every new house being built is adding to the issue of the reliance on gas for the future generations.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#43 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

My back up strategy for the price rise. If the travellers hadn’t stolen my tree surgeons wood processing machine I wouldn’t have got this load. Added bonus keeps me fit swinging the maul, and can vent my frustration out on a piece of wood.
0812C2B3-15AE-4C01-884C-A110EBEEDBB2.jpeg
0812C2B3-15AE-4C01-884C-A110EBEEDBB2.jpeg (238.59 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#44 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by pre65 »

Have you got an in/out drive, or is the car marooned till you've chopped up the wood ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#45 Re: What should we do about rising energy prices?

Post by vinylnvalves »

I see what you did with the maroon car, don’t give up the day job Phil. Yes I have two drives so I can get the cars out, as it will take me a few evenings to process all that, some of us still have to work.