Speaker protection

For the three and more legged things
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#16 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Nick, I’ll give you one example of rational guesses based on experience being necessary . Try crossing over the road without making a myriad of assumptions about driver behaviour.
ed
retired

#17 Re: Speaker protection

Post by ed »

best not dwell on that one

I have, in the past, thought about the chances of one of the drivers coming in the opposite direction.. just losing it
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#18 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Nick »

I would take what you call a rational guess and call it a risk assessment based on observed past behavior but I take your point. But I would say in that case the important part is the experience, a small child for example could not do the same thing with the same expectation of success.

I would think you have far less experience to call on for your belief that you can hear every component. Hence my description of it as a guess rather than a theory of some sort.. A theory for example requires some fort of model for the observed behavior that can then be compared against reality. I agree you can hear some components, that's trivially easy to show, but "any" is a far larger claim.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#19 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Well without them you wouldn’t hear your hifi
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#20 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Ray P »

Well, I may be able to provide some experience based assessment some time down the line as I've got a Neurochrome Guardian-686 board that I will probably deploy in my 'SissySIT' amplifier project

https://neurochrome.com/collections/pro ... ardian-686

I also have a pair of these modules, which work on the same principle, and are likely to go into my 6C33C SE-OTL amplifier (it's output cap coupled but the cap is rated at a lower voltage than the B+ and given the general reputation about 6C33Cs failing they seem like a reasonable insurance policy given the price of replacement Lowthers.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... -4.378742/

I can't be bothered to find it but somewhere on the threads related to the modules in second link there is a fair bit aboout whether they make an subjectivly audible and/or objectivly measurable diference.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Mike H »

Not convinced. Relays tend to be simple, 'sonically transparent' and work, if stop working for whatever reason, are easily replaced and cheap.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
rowuk
Old Hand

#22 Re: Speaker protection

Post by rowuk »

First of all, DC on the output is far more "audible" than many other things...

Back to "belief systems", I do NOT believe that all components are audible (which is different than claiming that they are not different) and consider most of the online discussions to be very bogus unless there is good indication that a real process is behind the opinion. Even more bogus are the claims to one component being "better" - unless there is indication of a real process for comparison and a clear definition of the use case. Our perception is VERY treacherous and is often confused by confirmation bias.

I really have no problem with those that talk about hearing the grass grow...
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#23 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Daniel Quinn »

They must be audible or else you wouldn’t hear the music.
Nick
Site Admin

#24 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:11 pm They must be audible or else you wouldn’t hear the music.
Now you know that doesn't make any sense,
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#25 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Not at all. Each component on a power amp board makes the sound . Take I out and the sound will alter or disappear Add a component and it will alter.

It’s like a reciepe .
Nick
Site Admin

#26 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Nick »

Fine. You think like that, it's your choice. Normally we mean how a part will alter the sound relative to the ideal.
iansr
Old Hand

#27 Re: Speaker protection

Post by iansr »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:16 am Not at all. Each component on a power amp board makes the sound . Take I out and the sound will alter or disappear Add a component and it will alter.

It’s like a reciepe .
I think you are conflating the the functions of the components and any artefacts they may or may not introduce whilst performing those functions.
"Its good enough for Government work."
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#28 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Daniel Quinn »

There is no ideal . Just your choice and how to achieve it .
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:38 pm There is no ideal . Just your choice and how to achieve it .
Yes, there is, an ideal 1uf capacitor has no parasitic inductance, and zero series resistance, has a dialectic loss that constant with frequency and so on. It may not exist, but I think you are confusing ideal with bogey. A circuit would work with an ideal value component, it wouldn't without that component in place. How an actual component varies from the ideal one is normally what we talk about when we refer to hearing the component.
Michael L
Old Hand

#30 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Michael L »

Ray P wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:30 pm Well, I may be able to provide some experience based assessment some time down the line as I've got a Neurochrome Guardian-686 board that I will probably deploy in my 'SissySIT' amplifier project

https://neurochrome.com/collections/pro ... ardian-686

I also have a pair of these modules, which work on the same principle, and are likely to go into my 6C33C SE-OTL amplifier (it's output cap coupled but the cap is rated at a lower voltage than the B+ and given the general reputation about 6C33Cs failing they seem like a reasonable insurance policy given the price of replacement Lowthers.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/thre ... -4.378742/

I can't be bothered to find it but somewhere on the threads related to the modules in second link there is a fair bit aboout whether they make an subjectivly audible and/or objectivly measurable diference.
How do you find the Sissy SET ?.Did it live up to expectations? Another unfinished project for me. Must complete it. I bought some relay less protection boards too.