Speaker protection

For the three and more legged things
iansr
Old Hand

#1 Speaker protection

Post by iansr »

This new speaker protection module looks pretty nifty to me. It protects against DC and eliminates turn 0n/off thumps. It’s not cheap but if you have expensive drivers then you might consider it money well spent. I’ve made one of Tom’s amps and so have direct experience of the quality of his design work - this will be as close to being sonically invisible as you can get:

https://neurochrome.com/products/guardi ... 1ef01d0e32
"Its good enough for Government work."
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#2 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I’m some what sceptical that it’s sonically invisible on the basis that I subscribe to the theory all components are audible.

But of course I’m only theorising
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:22 pm I’m some what sceptical that it’s sonically invisible on the basis that I subscribe to the theory all components are audible.

Strictly speaking you are guessing by any normal meaning of the word.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
iansr
Old Hand

#4 Re: Speaker protection

Post by iansr »

I didn’t say it was sonically invisible.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Speaker protection

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:29 pm
Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:22 pm I’m some what sceptical that it’s sonically invisible on the basis that I subscribe to the theory all components are audible.

Strictly speaking you are guessing by any normal meaning of the word.
:lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#6 Re: Speaker protection

Post by ed »

<cynic mode>
I baulked at the price.
not withstanding the sonically invisible argument. If you consider the standard ebay offerings using relay tech the price is around £5 per unit. Then considering mosfet vs relay, how to justify the jump from £5 to $99.
is the merit of this unit confined to the detection circuit?

now I understand the drawbacks of pops, clicks, arcs etc with regard to relays..but £5 to $99...mmm

having said that, there are amps at £100,000 so there will be a market for this for sure...
</cynic mode>

edit:
actually I can see the positive side of a delay connect for anybody that is paranoid about on/off thump(like me for instance) as this would be ideal for anybody running class d into electrostatics(like me). Although, again the necessary electronics for the delay would/should not be that pricey.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#7 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Many of the things we do rely on educated guesses. Try living your life without them.

And

You said ‘almost sonically invisible’ Sorry if my post didn’t reflect your nuance
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Nick »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:24 pm Many of the things we do rely on educated guesses. Try living your life without them.

And

You said ‘almost sonically invisible’ Sorry if my post didn’t reflect your nuance
Ok, I was wondering if I should question the comment about how common educated guesses were or have to be, or the earlier one where you were being skeptical about something on the bases of another feeling that you had previously decided not to be skeptical about.

In the end, I decided not to do either.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#9 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Paul Barker »

Don’t need on isolated transformer output tube amps.

Build an minimalist set Daniel one day, it’s worth it. You can leave all the clutter out like me. Some clutter is replaced by different clutter. You have to decide if the clutter that’s different to the Lemming amp builders clutter, was worth it. Like Nick keeps reminding me. Sometimes from the opposite direction by asking “what are you trying to solve?” Good for the sole to frame these thoughts in you’re vision before it becomes purposeless hard work.

I’ve brought power to some meetings that nearly split the atom. But no one has pm’d me “Oi Barker you owe me a new set of speakers”! But before he interjects, it was me that burnt Marks carpet! But his speakers aren’t harmed.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
iansr
Old Hand

#10 Re: Speaker protection

Post by iansr »

They are certainly pricey Ed and I’m not trying to persuade anyone to buy them. Tom charges premium prices for all his boards but he argues that’s because they are premium products. Judging by the feedback of his customers on DIYA and my own experience, I’d say that was fair comment. Value in this context is pretty subjective I think.
ed
retired

#11 Re: Speaker protection

Post by ed »

iansr wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:28 pm Value in this context is pretty subjective I think.
yep....I'm thinking it is in most contexts...just spicing it up with a bit of my cheapskate thinking....

I have noticed over the years that even the diyaudio inhabitants can be divided into those that are willing to put their hands into their pockets, and those that aren't. It's easy to forget we do diy for more than two reasons.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#12 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Paul Barker »

With you Ed, I don’t expect the Chinese assemble $99 protection . I expect a Chinese relay is a Chinese relay is a Chinese relay. Pretty unreliable and burn out fast and no better paying more. All heating valves whatever brand are Chinese(stamped proudly). When British made the relay lasted 20 years or more. New today, dead before the year is out.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: Speaker protection

Post by Nick »

I think you may find that most relays are made in China.
iansr
Old Hand

#14 Re: Speaker protection

Post by iansr »

You are right about the 2 camps Ed. There are those that just want to make hi fi gear cheaply and then there are those that see DIY as a means of getting top quality gear at a fraction of the RRP of commercially produced “high end “ kit (with the added bonus of the satisfaction that DIY gives you.)
ed
retired

#15 Re: Speaker protection

Post by ed »

Paul Barker wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:19 pm With you Ed, I don’t expect the Chinese assemble $99 protection . I expect a Chinese relay is a Chinese relay is a Chinese relay. Pretty unreliable and burn out fast and no better paying more. All heating valves whatever brand are Chinese(stamped proudly). When British made the relay lasted 20 years or more. New today, dead before the year is out.
not sure what this means Paul.

My post was about the difference in price between the two methods, although the price difference between the components in the two methods was negligable. Irrespective of the quality of the two approaches my cheapskate philosophy says they should be comaparable in price. If your product is better(by any metric) then you might be justifed in charging more than an inferior product....but £5 to $99 when the components are similar price.....just made my ears prick up, especially as it is in the diy marketplace.