Single-Ended Pentode Redux

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

#271 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Nick »

due to the down side of resistor’s affecting b+
If by resistor you mean the snubber resistor then why would it affect b+. Its in series with a small cap as its there to damp the HF resonance of the coils. So will have no impact at 100Hz.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#272 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Paul Barker »

No I meant to decouple the 220n cap from the big reservoir cap.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#273 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Nick »

I don't understand then, but no problem.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#274 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Cressy Snr »

In between drying coats of paint in the shit tip of a spare room I caused with this DIY craziness, I decided to rationalise the overall system by moving a few components around. By doing this I created a space for a few records:
Tidiness is good for the soul.
After having built this amp, and acquired a CX unipivot arm, in addition to the existing streaming and the 16 bit CD player, I now have a music system, which is why I’ve tidied everything so that it has become a permanent installation. I’ve talked about all this with Stu, over on HFS and for both of us, but for different reasons, this DIY thing is over. This is the system that’ll see me out. I’m done.
AF3407D5-3B58-45A4-BC01-64B886DA11BC.jpeg
AF3407D5-3B58-45A4-BC01-64B886DA11BC.jpeg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#275 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Nick »

But is it? (ignoring lack of evidence for such a thing existing anyway). Isn't it just pandering to a desire to impose an artificial order to things, just look at all the parallel lines and right angles in that picture. Its almost the exact opposite to anything being organic (for some value of organic).
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#276 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by IslandPink »

Your workroom is definitely organic, Nick .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#277 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:49 pm Your workroom is definitely organic, Nick .
Well its a tip, but it is the direct result of opposing pressures. Or at least a constant battle to keep ahead of the orders.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#278 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:32 pm
But is it? (ignoring lack of evidence for such a thing existing anyway). Isn't it just pandering to a desire to impose an artificial order to things, just look at all the parallel lines and right angles in that picture. Its almost the exact opposite to anything being organic (for some value of organic).
OK I’ll re-phrase it.
Tidiness makes me and the missus happy.
No longer a blanket statement. :D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#279 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Cressy Snr »

The spare room that was a workroom for building electronic gubbins, is still going to be a workroom, but this time for writing projects.
Our Ant has saved me two desks from a job lot he acquired from a place in Rotherham a few years ago. Once the the room is finished and carpeted, the desks will be put in and it’ll become my equivalent of Roald Dahl’s shed.
Summer or Winter, It’s a great view out of the window, into the trees and sky at the bottom of the garden. Perfect for writing.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#280 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:33 pm Perfect for writing.
The quest.

My search for audio nirvana.

By Steve Cresswell.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#281 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:41 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:33 pm Perfect for writing.
The quest.

My search for audio nirvana.

By Steve Cresswell.
You’ve got to be joking!
ed
retired

#282 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by ed »

There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#283 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Ali Tait »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:49 pm Your workroom is definitely organic, Nick .
Must admit, this gave me a chuckle. :D
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#284 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Cressy Snr »

….William turned this way and that and listened to the sound of his footsteps bouncing back and forth between the terraced walls of the houses either side of a street that looked somehow familiar. An empty Coke can rolled around the pavement, rattling loudly due the fluttering of the cold breeze he had felt earlier. Rage and resentment was still only just below the surface of his being so that he found himself in the grip of a ferocious urge to boot the damned thing as hard and as far up the road as he could. Only God knows how he did it, but somehow he forced his shrieking nerves into submission and managed to observe dispassionately the intensity of the impulse, and instead of reacting, became deeply curious as to why he was feeling so disproportionately angry about a damn’ stupid can! As he observed the anger, it became far less of an issue, and because the emotion behind the impulse to act, had this time, failed to take him over, the anger faded away.
A hundred yards further on, he came upon a large puddle, where a discarded children’s highlighter pen lay submerged. The ink, leaking from a crack in the body of the pen, had stained the puddle a translucent shade of fluorescent pink. He stared down into the water, becoming hypnotised as his silhouette wobbled up at him, backlit by a deep pink reflected sky.
Blinking, shaking his head and turning away from the rippling puddle, William turned right, began once more to walk, but almost immediately, he came to an abrupt halt, and stared in disbelief at the street he had just entered. His head had mostly cleared now and he recognised the street as the one where he had lived as a boy. Entropy was certainly well established here and a bleak atmosphere of creeping decay was the overriding characterisic of the place. The grimness of the surroundings, made worse by the half light, began a stealthy undermining of his morale and his mind soon became utterly depressed. Still, this sombre mood did feel somewhat easier to manage than the overpowering terror and intense anger he had felt earlier. His depressed state was not ideal he thought, but it was going to have to be put up with, at least for the present.
William began to wonder what on earth was going on. Whatever, whoever, had brought him here and caused him to stand there, depressed and bewildered in this dismal light, just had to be pulling some kind of sick prank at his expense, and as he looked up the length of York Street, he did not feel in the least inclined to share in the joke. But, deciding it would probably be wiser to humour whoever was pulling his strings, he set off into the gloom. He was here, there didn’t appear to be anything he could do about it, and he sensed that whether he liked it or not, he was going to have to go with whatever came up and somehow deal with it…
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#285 Re: Single-Ended Pentode Redux

Post by Cressy Snr »

Bit of a mystery interlude. :mrgreen:

Right Paul I’ll take you up on the scope measurements if you get out my way sometime.