Definitive Build

What people are working on at the moment
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#46 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I used 2 bridge rectifiers for a phono amp power supply . The power amps pre date this .

I’ve learnt all I know by copying nva amps hence my limited knowledge and the reason I cocked up the second power supply with 2 bridges.

I’m at the stage in understanding there is more than 1 way to wire the transformers , bridges and caps but I haven’t a clue of the relative merits of each method.

So what do I read?

And nick I note what you say but come on I should get some credit for doing it left handed😉
Nick
Site Admin

#47 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Nick »

Yep, you get some credit, but there is always room for improvement :)

As to a link that talks about the ways and means. Not sure, there are lots of books I could suggest but they all assume some knowledge. The Elliott Sound Products pages are good places to start.

https://sound-au.com/power-supplies.htm
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#48 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Paul Barker »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:46 am I used 2 bridge rectifiers for a phono amp power supply . The power amps pre date this .

I’ve learnt all I know by copying nva amps hence my limited knowledge and the reason I cocked up the second power supply with 2 bridges.

I’m at the stage in understanding there is more than 1 way to wire the transformers , bridges and caps but I haven’t a clue of the relative merits of each method.

So what do I read?

And nick I note what you say but come on I should get some credit for doing it left handed😉
Nick is very straight talking but youd be a fool to not listen to what he says.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#49 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Thanks nick .
Nick
Site Admin

#50 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Nick »

Hey I am happy either way. No skin off my back :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#51 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Daniel Quinn »

When I was practising law if a client ignored my advise I would think there were a cretin and loved the schadenfraud when what I advised came to fruition.

I don’t mind people knowing more than me about electronics I’m grateful people are happy to share thier expertise
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#52 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Large caps are expensive .

Is there a theoretical difference between 4 33,000 if cap and 12 10,000uf caps?

Deos anybody have experience of both and prefer one ?
Nick
Site Admin

#53 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Nick »

Depends on the caps on question. Compare the Dcr and inductance and the ripple current capacity.
ed
retired

#54 Re: Definitive Build

Post by ed »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:19 pm Large caps are expensive .
If you know what you want I can suggest that you check the surplus suppliers...there are real bargains to be had if you don't pay any attention to the boutique peddlars.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#55 Re: Definitive Build

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:53 pm Depends on the caps on question. Compare the Dcr and inductance and the ripple current capacity.
Dennis, I still have a few of those soup tin size capacitors in my stash, depending on what size uf and voltage you need.

I got most of mine as Ed 's last post.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#56 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I’ll have a look.

For the moment I’m working out theory. Build will be in may onwards.

So assuming they have the same measurements there be no difference in large or small caps .
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#57 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Right . I’m going to play about . Got some naim clone boards that need 40v .

Got a 500va transformer with 30v secondaries.and 4 33,000uf capacitors. A per mono amp .

To run separate bridges , I use a bridge for the v+ and a bridge for the v- . Do I run the capacitors as two separate runs ? That will be black red and 2 caps and yellow orange and the other two caps. No connections between the caps for + and ~

With naims 2 earths to the board is it okay to run one to each rail power supply?
Nick
Site Admin

#58 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Nick »

Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying, and if I did, I may not have the same understand as you do. I know you don't like them and they seem problematic, but a drawing is needed,
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#59 Re: Definitive Build

Post by pre65 »

Dennis, doing a diagram before you start is good practice.

I always do diagrams to help me understand my thoughts, and I keep a folder for each project so I can refer to things when repairs, or upgrading is necessary.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#60 Re: Definitive Build

Post by Ray P »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:03 pm Right . I’m going to play about . Got some naim clone boards that need 40v .
So you need a +/-40VDC power supply?

Is this schematic something like what you have in mind?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!