Genesis record store day

Share the music that moves you.......
shane
Social outcast

#16 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by shane »

The band at the Vandike in Plymouth,1972. One of the better evenings of my 20th year.Image
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#17 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I too saw Genesis when I was about 17. Quickly forgotten I'm afraid and as I have quite a lot of the vinyl, acquired from charity shops over the years, and as I'm pretty much retired, I've tried it and still don't get it.

I might be missing something but....
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

#18 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by shane »

My wife would entirely agree with you. Definitely one of those bands that one doesn’t always admit to enjoying, but inexplicably they still manage to send shivers down my spine so I’ll carry on listening when she’s out.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#19 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by Ray P »

I'm going to agree and disagree with you Mr. Quinn,

Genesis are my all-time favourite band - we agree - but only up to 'Wind and Wuthering' - we disagree

Genesis of the early 70s were a band that was way more than the some of its parts and when some of those parts departed so the dynamic changed both in terms of musical content and delivery - Phil Collins can't hold a candle to Peter Gabriel vocally, Steve Hackett is an innovative, creative and much under-rated guitarist and, when left to lead the composing, Tony Banks is pretty bland (try listening to one of his solo albums) - the music lost its magic and quirkiness and became pretty much mainstream pop. I think 'Firth of Fifth' was their absolute zenith BTW.

I was fortunate to see Genesis live in 1974, with Peter Gabrial as Raul on the 'Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' tour - that was at the 2000 seat Southampton Gaumont Theatre so fairly intimate, unlike stadium gigs, which you might as well be watching on the TV for all the connection you get with the musicians. That gig is one of my abiding memories! I also saw Genesis on the 'Trick of the Tail' and 'Wind and Wuthering' tours; much bigger venues, amazing lights and lasers etc. but just not as good. I never bought 'Then there were Three' although I do have a coupple of the later albums but they rarely get an airing - in contrast the earlier albums are regularly played, as do those from the solo careers of Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett - I wen't for a long walk this afternoon and got totally engrossed in Steve Hackett's 'Genesis Revisited II' album on my headphones.

At the same time as the ill-fated Genesis tour was supposed to be happening (I wasn't in the least tempted), I wnt back to the Southampton venue to see Steve Hackett perfrom one of his 'Genesis Revisited' concerts and it was great to hear the old favourites live again, performed in the spirit of the original versions - recommended if you get the opportunity.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#20 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:01 pm I might be missing something but....
Are we talking Genesis apprciation or more generally Andrew?
Ray P

#21 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by Ray P »

Oh oh, I see one 'Dave the bass' is lurking hereabouts...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by Dave the bass »

Biting my lip so hard my tooth has gone right through :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#23 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I repeat , there is continuity between trespass and no son of mine .

Songs such as Abacab ,home by the sea and domino (off 3 separate albums ) are just as complex , have brilliant shifts of key, tempo and rhythm as anything earlier .
andrew Ivimey

#24 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yep, maybe. Maybe there's just too much music in the world. Too much Haydn, too much, ummmmm whatever bollocks is around today.

Loads of folk out there, I'm sure love Genesis. I don't.

So what ...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#25 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I’m baffled by your post.

Your the sort of person who barges open a church door and shouts ‘ gods a fuckin fiction’
Ray P

#26 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by Ray P »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:03 pm I repeat , there is continuity between trespass and no son of mine .

Songs such as Abacab ,home by the sea and domino (off 3 separate albums ) are just as complex , have brilliant shifts of key, tempo and rhythm as anything earlier .
I repeat, the music lost its magic and quirkiness - I still get a shiver from listening to some of the pre 'Then There Were Three' recordings, never from thence forward. A list of ingredients doesn't guarantee you a great meal. Like I said, we'll have to agree to agree and disagree.

Out of interest have you listened to any of the Steve Hacket 'revisited' recordings?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by pre65 »

Who are Genesis ?

I'm fairly sure if you sent me a greatest hits CD I'd recognise one or two tracks.

Daniel, just accept that some here don't share your enthusiasm for the band.

I believe you don't like classical music, but then you don't have to. Freedom of choice and all that.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#28 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Silly boy, Danny boy.
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by Nick »

Your the sort of person who barges open a church door and shouts ‘ gods a fuckin fiction
Happy to accept that description of myself.

Genesis are one of those bands that I can see why folk like them and I can see they have merit, but they just don't do it for me, Wish I knew why, if I did it would tell me more about myself than Genesis.I have the same problem with Jeff Beck. Every time I see a tv program or you tube clip of him I am blown away by how good he is. But then I listen to one of his recordings and it just doesn't hit the spot.

People ore odd I guess.

I mean look at this

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#30 Re: Genesis record store day

Post by The Stratmangler »

The first time I heard Genesis I was 12 years of age.
It was early 1974.
My family returned to UK to visit my paternal Grandmother in hospital - she was at death's door with pneumonia, and the family (which was quite extensive) had gathered.
My dad bought me a transistor radio to keep me entertained, and I tuned into the local commercial radio station, Piccadilly 261, as they played stuff from the charts of the time.
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) was the single from Genesis at the time, and I first heard it on that transistor radio, lying on the grass near some of the outlying wards of Wythenshawe Hospital.
It landed with me.

My Gran rallied and recovered, we all dispersed and went back to our lives, and I sought out the Genesis back catalogue.
Been a fan of their earlier material ever since, and as I already mentioned, sort of lost interest around about the time Steve Hackett left the band.
Chris :happy3: