new pc

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ant
Shed dweller

#16 Re: new pc

Post by Ant »

Ive used libreoffice for years, would have been instead of office 07 as a matter of fact after my old tosh sattellite packed up in 09 and the replacement didnt come with office on it. I had stored everything on the nas i was using at the time so could still access the files i was using.
She will notice the difference, opening .doc or docx files can alter the formatting every now and then but i dont have any legacy office 07 files to try to open any more to check
It is however very very similar to use. Compared to now i dont know the only office software ive used in the last few years has been on phones and tablets rather than a 'proper' version
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: new pc

Post by simon »

Yeah as good as Libre Office is, and it's remarkable for free, it's not quite the same as MS Office, and it always feels a bit inferior to me. If I used it regularly I might not notice this so much, but the menus aren't the same and some things need a bit of finding or are done differently. Whether this would be an issue is another matter though. (MS Office has moved on a lot since 2007)
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#18 Re: new pc

Post by izzy wizzy »

I was an Outlook user for ages and now have used Firefox last 15 years or so. I like it as it integrates POP mail and Gmail in the same interface. Plus it didn't seem much of a change from Outlook.

And the interface is flexible (enough for my needs) and so much better than the Gmail interface which is total poop but handy for phone. Good add ons for spam and the like.

I too have mail stored going back 20 years and imported it from Outlook. I bet there's some "gotchas" in there but I've not found them. And it keeps getting better.
ed
retired

#19 Re: new pc

Post by ed »

Hi Stephen...
when you say you moved to Firefox for email did you mean thunderbird? or Firefox with gmail?
I used thunderbird for years for company/business stuff routing through my old web server. I got rid of that when I stopped trading. But the personal stuff has always been outlook via the ISP server.

the mem sahib does have a gmail account which she uses rarely from her laptop...but I wouldn't dream of putting all my history on a google server...oh waily, just thing about that.

I'm leaning towards libre office and thunderbird again...maybe load a standalone/unconnected copy of outlook(from 2007) just for reading the pst archives.

I was rather hoping Nick(DS) would offer some thoughts on the dangers of using office 2007 because of the security risks. I have to say I am a bit paranoid as every time I get an email from an address I don't know, I check the header before opening the email.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#20 Re: new pc

Post by jack »

Ah. I've been distracted. We had the first proper service for our heat pump in years and it's been a journey. I wanted to check everything was 110% before the electricity price goes completely bananas... actually, that should be "400%"...

Anyway, I don't know LibreOffice any more as I haven't used it for years.

However old versions of Office, e.g. 2007, are vulnerable to all sorts of horrors and I just wouldn't go there...

You can sometimes pick up very cheap and often genuine recent Office licences, e.g. for 2019, on the bay...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#21 Re: new pc

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yeah but no but.... you get a dvd of office suite all shiny and dandy and you load it all up and then,'boing' a message tells you that it has had too many installs so...

Good bye, bro'
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#22 Re: new pc

Post by izzy wizzy »

ed wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:46 pm Hi Stephen...
when you say you moved to Firefox for email did you mean thunderbird? or Firefox with gmail?
I used thunderbird for years for company/business stuff routing through my old web server. I got rid of that when I stopped trading. But the personal stuff has always been outlook via the ISP server.

the mem sahib does have a gmail account which she uses rarely from her laptop...but I wouldn't dream of putting all my history on a google server...oh waily, just thing about that.

I'm leaning towards libre office and thunderbird again...maybe load a standalone/unconnected copy of outlook(from 2007) just for reading the pst archives.

I was rather hoping Nick(DS) would offer some thoughts on the dangers of using office 2007 because of the security risks. I have to say I am a bit paranoid as every time I get an email from an address I don't know, I check the header before opening the email.
Yes, my bad. Thunderbird.

It's an interface for Gmail. One that works and makes sense unlike Gmail interface. Nothing more.
ed
retired

#23 Re: new pc

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:04 pm Ah. I've been distracted. We had the first proper service for our heat pump in years and it's been a journey. I wanted to check everything was 110% before the electricity price goes completely bananas... actually, that should be "400%"...
OT, but it's my thread so I'll cry if I want to.

just had the gas bill for, would you beleive it, Jan 23 2022 to Feb 23 2022...£150 estimated....the annual estimate is on the bill showing £1300.
the Jan reading was correct but I can't verify the feb reading cos the mem sahib has so much junk in the cupboard under the stairs.

are we all going to get monthly bills from now on?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#24 Re: new pc

Post by andrew Ivimey »

We used £130 gas in January and I've been frozen!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#25 Re: new pc

Post by vinylnvalves »

We used about the same, as well as keeping the log burner going.. was paying 2.8p per kw. Will be 11.8p for gas from the first of April. :cry:
ed
retired

#26 Re: new pc

Post by ed »

all the bits arrived for the new pc today.....all except the M2 card...

I checked the order and it says the M2 card will arrive seperately on Friday. I checked the part on ebuyers web site and it says if you order before 3pm it will be delivered tomorrow. Well I ordered it last Saturday and at the time of checking it hadn't been dispatched. go figure!!!!!

in the end I went for I5 11400 with z490. the 12400 forces a z690 mobo and that all costs another £100. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference...cheapskatesRus!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#27 Re: new pc

Post by izzy wizzy »

ed wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:38 pm all the bits arrived for the new pc today.....all except the M2 card...

I checked the order and it says the M2 card will arrive seperately on Friday. I checked the part on ebuyers web site and it says if you order before 3pm it will be delivered tomorrow. Well I ordered it last Saturday and at the time of checking it hadn't been dispatched. go figure!!!!!

in the end I went for I5 11400 with z490. the 12400 forces a z690 mobo and that all costs another £100. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference...cheapskatesRus!
On the cheapskatesRus front, I went B460M-ITX for the i5 10400, M2 SSD, 16G RAM a little over a year ago coz I go for last but one model (for more cheapness). I bunged it in an InWin Chopin mini ITX case with a huge fan to make it nice and quiet and coz so small, it sits behind the monitor.

I'm no power user but a year on, the thing flies (for me) and ready to go from switch on in less than 10 secs. I'm sure what you're putting together Ed will be be ace!

Anyhoo, info may be of use for someone else in the market for a general PC.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#28 Re: new pc

Post by jack »

I've ordered the beast. We shall see in a week or so.

What surprised me is the stated speed of the M.2 drives. The M.2 NVMe drives are 7 x faster than a SATA III SSD and about 35 x faster than a traditional hard disk. Ordinary M.2 drives are somewhat slower than NVMe ones.

Not that I need that speed day-to-day. As mentioned, I do however process some very large documents between PDF and HTML5. It'll be nice for that to happen somewhat faster than it does now. I did a 2,500 page 36MB PDF yesterday which has a lot of images and layers and ended up with about 20,000 html files...

Also, it'll be cute to have a clean Windows 11 install as even though I'm pretty disciplined about keeping apps up to date and deleting old stuff, the machine slowly accumulates crap and however hard you try, you can't get rid of all of it. Many uninstallers are not great about removing registry DCOM stuff...

I have some annoying event log entries that I just can't make go away, at that offends the OCD bit of me.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#29 Re: new pc

Post by ed »

M2 ssd cards are not as straightforward as they seem.
I originally wanted 128gb for my build but on closer scrutiny the 128gb are very slow in comparison to others. I eventually settled on this:
250G NV1 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD
which had almost twice the throughput of any of the 128 cards. I'm not sure I would ever be able to tell the difference though.

In regard to the missing delivery I called ebuyer support on Friday and a kind lady said she would look into it. I got this later:
I have investigated this with the external warehouse and unfortunately there was a system error.
I have built a new order for that missing 1 x Kingston 250GB NV1 NVMe PCIe SSD item which will be delivered Monday.
As soon as the item has been shipped, I will also refund your delivery charge.
I'm glad I chased it, otherwise it might never have arrived.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#30 Re: new pc

Post by izzy wizzy »

That's the type of M2 drive I have. The thing seems super fast. Quite a revelation.