Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Subjects that don't have their own home
chris661
Shed dweller

#166 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by chris661 »

IIRC, we ended up a bit short of sources, so we ran some music from Nick's USB drive through my laptop and USB DAC. Those went through the OTL amp and then the Crown amp, through the Lowther OBs.

I thought the Crown amp did quite well - it didn't show itself up as obviously bad, despite being possibly the most severely mis-matched amp/speaker combination that could possibly be put together.

I played a few tunes through my speakers when the Lowthers were carted away. Hey Now by London Grammar really got the cones moving - I've never seen them do that at home, but the big room at Owston needs a lot more grunt to drive it.

I also seem to remember a brief reggae section.

Chris
Andrew
Eternally single

#167 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Andrew »

That 1 watter is sweet as, Steve :)

PS and it doesn't hummmmmmm ;)
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#168 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Tony Moore »

I can't believe the movement on your speakers Chris! I thought they were going to leave the room. 😁 The reggae was excellent, we need more reggae.
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#169 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Tony Moore »

And Ska
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#170 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by pre65 »

Tony Moore wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:02 pm The reggae was excellent, we need more reggae.
Even I would agree with that sentiment. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#171 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by steve s »

Andrew wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:59 pm That 1 watter is sweet as, Steve :)

PS and it doesn't hummmmmmm ;)
As I said you shamed me in to building reasonably quiet amps
Sometimes I need a push..

It the best valve amp I've made thanks to those valves in it.
And it a choke loaded driver..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#172 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by steve s »

chris661 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:59 pm IIRC, we ended up a bit short of sources, so we ran some music from Nick's USB drive through my laptop and USB DAC. Those went through the OTL amp and then the Crown amp, through the Lowther OBs.

I thought the Crown amp did quite well - it didn't show itself up as obviously bad, despite being possibly the most severely mis-matched amp/speaker combination that could possibly be put together.

I played a few tunes through my speakers when the Lowthers were carted away. Hey Now by London Grammar really got the cones moving - I've never seen them do that at home, but the big room at Owston needs a lot more grunt to drive it.

I also seem to remember a brief reggae section.

Chris
Thanks for the update Chris.. I missed out then as I like a bit of reggae,

I've had a plan to build another pair of speakers for a while, using a pair of my lowthers , combined with a similar bass arrangement to my red speakers.

i will soon have 2 pairs of nearly matching 15" drivers, and after hearing Nicks speakers I'm now planning to build them next year.

Suppose I came home inspired !!
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#173 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by steve s »

steve s wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:35 pm

i will soon have 2 pairs of nearly matching 15" drivers
Just an update, I won a 2nd pair of these on an ebay auction whilst at owston.. I had to collect from Canterbury.. which was a bummer as its a fair drive.
The guy eventually got back to me to say his lad was at Hull uni, and would I like him to bring them up in December.. I could not believe it..
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#174 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by IslandPink »

'Result' !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Freedom Sounds
User

#175 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Freedom Sounds »

pre65 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:08 pm
Tony Moore wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:02 pm The reggae was excellent, we need more reggae.
Even I would agree with that sentiment. :D
Me, too! I think after Chris' reggae track I played some Burning Spear and nobody left the room!

When I lived in the US, I had a weekly reggae radio show on KUOR 89.1FM for 5 years....funnily enough it was called Freedom Sounds.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#176 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:24 pm'Result' !

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#177 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by vinylnvalves »

I must thank who ever it was at the weekend that pointed out that one of my tweeters was the opposite way around to the other. With the AMT’s being a bipole i was getting some weird cancellation. Connecting them up correctly when I got home,I have got a top level spaciousness I didn’t know I was missing. I have also been reading how a dipole, my bass section, is the worst combination to marry with bipole drivers, such as my AMT’s. So need to rethink the bottom end, maybe I look at a sealed sub. with the drivers back to back... more reading required....
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#178 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Mike H »

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#179 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Ray P »

Wow, was it a week ago already. :o
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
chris661
Shed dweller

#180 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by chris661 »

vinylnvalves wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:22 pm I must thank who ever it was at the weekend that pointed out that one of my tweeters was the opposite way around to the other. With the AMT’s being a bipole i was getting some weird cancellation. Connecting them up correctly when I got home,I have got a top level spaciousness I didn’t know I was missing. I have also been reading how a dipole, my bass section, is the worst combination to marry with bipole drivers, such as my AMT’s. So need to rethink the bottom end, maybe I look at a sealed sub. with the drivers back to back... more reading required....
Just a quick note that, from what I've heard in person and read online, AMTs are dipoles, so they should match well to a dipole LF solution.

Chris