Interesting family trees

Share the music that moves you.......
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Interesting family trees

Post by IslandPink »

I'll just put this one up as a generic thread in case anyone has something similar to enthuse about.
I found this one interesting, I suspect it'll appeal to only about 3 people on the forum.
A while back I was checking out videos of Stan Tracy that were on Youtube. There weren't many, but there was a rather excellent clip from c.1986.
One thing that stood out was the bass player, who did an excellent and interesting solo on upright bass. I noted down the name of 'Roy Babbington'.

So, yesterday for some reason I was looking up Pip Pyle, the drummer who was on some of the early Soft Machine albums ( including Dashiel Hedayat's 'Obsolete' ), and acted as a surrogate father for Robert Wyatt's son after his accident. From there, you quickly get to 'Hatfield and the North' for whom he played on most of their stuff, and the later reunion ( including on the day before he died, in 2006 ) .
Reading the Wiki page on Hatfield and the North, I find out that the band started out as 'Delivery' , and their bass player at that time was .... Roy Babbington.

It was obvious then I had to check out Roy's Wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Babbington
Jumping to the discography, it's tough to know where to begin - such a long and fascinating career !
They can't be too many people with a cooler resumé !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Interesting family trees

Post by Nick »

Very much of its time but I can recommend Paraphernalia if you don't know much of BT.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Interesting family trees

Post by Dave the bass »

Roy Babbington was a very early adopter of 6 string string electric bass guitar, he played a Fender VI as a bass guitar rather than as a baritone guitar which was brave (IMO), I read an interview with him years ago and he said it was a pig to play.

Makes it looks easy here mind you...

Pip Pyle, well, y'know...

What a time to be most excellent.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Interesting family trees

Post by IslandPink »

Interesting - though I have to call out the use of the work 'Workshop', outside of light engineering, as you remember that Alexi Sayle did.

Here's the Stan Tracey ( at the 100 club ) clip, Roy does his solo work from 2:28 :
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"