Aha! Found you!

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

well it's no surprise or secret that I am completely burned out from audio diy but I'm just about managing to hang on in this place. It's nice to see you all apearing and I look forward to rejoining with enthusiasm when my working life settles down.

I have made a little prgress in the avoidanotherbreadown steaks a man I trained ayear ago has joined up with mehe ismy equal now and shouldering a lot of the burden plus he is much tougher than me which is something the business needs.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

Hi Tony
And Welcome
I still am a beginner in this hobby though I don’t know any of the members on here in person I have had a lot of help from you all in the past over at the WD forum one problem I have is that im dyslexic so my spelling can be off at time? Well a lot I also need help on the math’s side of thing :oops: apart from that I hope to ask less and contribute more too this forum :P
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Colin, please don't for one moment think you can't ask, thats partly how we found out the little we (at least speaking for myself) know, but I think the important thing is not to take anyone answer as gospel, but to find out for yourself what the correct answer to any question is for you.

All that we do with valves has been done before, its all there in the old text books. Ok, sometimes maths is needed, but a lot less than you may think,

I guess what I am trying to say is, ask, but don't always believe. But don't take that to mean you should keep asking the same question, that gets a bit booring for all of us.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Ha, Paul likes his math too

Me? barely use it myself...I seem to get by..

As for being dyslexic, we all seem to understand just fine and that is the only thing that matters. I can't spell anyway.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes have to agree with what is being said here.The whole tone of the WD forum has changed recently (see my most recent post there!)
I still read all the posts there,and post in my own inept way from time to time.I don't scratch build (yet) but that is mostly because I don't have bloody time! I work away from home a lot,and also work seven days a week a lot of the time.I take my laptop and can get on the net with my mobile,hence keep up with you all.I was always more in the 'music lover' camp rather than being the inverterate tweaker,so what spare time I do get,I spend listening rather than inventing new and interesting ways to vapourise myself :)
I understand completely the views of the more knowledgeable people on here (i.e. everone except me!) as regards WD,but I think we have to remember that none of us would have got together if it wasn't for that forum.I think I'm right in saying that every member on here has personally met all the others,and that would not have happened if it wasn't for WAD,and for me that is the best thing to come out of it all.It's apt talking about this now,as I've been involved on a thread on DIY Audio about the amp I've got now,and while I've been on there I was idly looking through other posts,and there were several of the more knowledgeable people there complaining about the constant questioning and aggressive answers to everything they post! It may be that things have just run their course on WD,as they do with everything in human affairs.Someone starts something good,people recognise that something special is happening,more join in and for a while it gets better and better,then too many get involved and it turns to sh*t! I guess it's just human nature,so hopefully we are starting something good here.
For me there is the sense of community here that there used to be on WAD.Long may it continue!
Regards,Ali
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

One of the problems Ali is that if a forum is attached to a commercial operation as closely as the WD forum is, its very hard to allow a fight to take place.

Its (hopefully) not the case here, ok, most folk like a easy life, but sometimes its better (IMHO) to get a disagrement out in the open, sort it out, and then move on, sometimes arguments are healthy in a family, and I think the same dynamic happens in places like this.

So, if someone thinks I am talking crap, tell me, and I might tell you to fuck off, but I might also realise you are right, so then I can say sorry, without letting the anger fester and pop up from time to time.

And if that offends anyone, then its your problem, get over it. The other choice is not a happy relaxed place.

And yes, this place is linked off Darrens site, and there is a slatedeck section, and in my view (which in reality, in this case is the one that matters), thats Darrens house, in there you follow his rules, but they stop at the door. Same as if any other makers want to set up a section here, more than welcome, but you only get to manage your bit.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

You're quite right Nick,I don't disagree at all.After all I couldnt've put my previous post in the WD forum without argument ad nauseum.Thats the point I was making about this place.All I meant was that I wouldn't have met all the good people I have if it wasn't for that place and been much the richer for it.I think all here can say that.
Regards.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hmmm. The "threat" made to Nick a few weeks ago was unneccesary and sums up how the old forum has changed for the worse. I felt it was more than a disagreement, a line had been crossed. But maybe that's just me.

Apart from that it was rather funny as the poster clearly had no idea what he was posting about. :lol:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Apart from that it was rather funny as the poster clearly had no idea what he was posting about.
That was my view as well Simon, I am certainly old enough, and clearly hairy enough to survive such things. But yes, that was the point (if we are talking about the same post) where I decided to walk away.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I think we probably are Nick. I really couldn't picture you quaking in your boots whilst walking a dozen lurchers. :lol: I nearly fell off my chair laughing though. I'm not surprised you decided to walk away after that, I would have done so too I think.
shaun
User

Post by shaun »

hi all

i've been reading hifi world from day one and remember the first diy suppliments well. in those days it seemed to be aimed are real diy and encouraging people like me to have a go. i built the first cathode follower pre (and it worked) now the tone seems to have changed and not for the better. is it me or is it's just aimed at building kits hm. well i built one and ithe tx hummed like a bee and it blew fuses(remember the one Ali?)i was new and thought it was me and got no help from the suppliers. then i found the forum and discovered that it was actually a common problem. well i can say here that the only help i got was from forum members and strangely enough quite a few already here. well that put me off of building fore some time because i thought i was crapp at it.

so with nicks help i did my own thing :twisted:

the choked 76 into 45 which i still love. still on mdf and still being worked on.

sorry to moan on a bit but it gets me that people like nick and others get crap for doing what they do from people who should know better.

thanks for a great place

i have a project comming i can feel it in my bones

take care

shaun

ps i hope my poor english aint gonna upset anyone
shaun
User

Post by shaun »

sorry about the rant but i just had to get that off my chest

:D
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Shaun-Captain Fuseblower!
Nick-Let me know if you get any more hassle and I'll arrange to have their lecky turned off! :D
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Darren wrote: As for being dyslexic, we all seem to understand just fine and that is the only thing that matters. I can't spell anyway.
No Darren I think you're wrong...that is the correct spelling of anyway....
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Ah yes, but only cos' of Google spell checker

Brilliant tool, you know the best thing about it is that by pointing out one's spelling mistakes you actually learn at the same time instead of remaining ignorant.

Well in one sense of the word ignorant anyways !!!

:D