Ortofon cadenza blue

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Graeme
Needs to get out more

#1 Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by Graeme »

Has anyone got one, or listened to one much?

My rega apheta has broken, home insurance has paid out and kept the cart.
I'm looking at what to replace it with and my current shortlist is

Cadenza blue
Apheta 3
Hana ml

Possibly a DV xx2, or if I'm feeling really silly, a decca super gold.

The apheta was fast and dynamic, which I loved. Don't want anything smooth and warm.
I assume everything at this price range will be good at detail and that certain magical something that is impossible to describe without shonky poetry.

Not sure what arm it will go in but the 2 options are audio technica at1005, 20g effective mass, or a diy linear tracker with the associated effective mass oddness.
If things all go according to plan, it will go in the linear arm.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by Nick »

IMHO, in that price range and your description of what you want, I would suggest a Benz Micro Glider, but there are loads to choose from.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Graeme
Needs to get out more

#3 Re: Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by Graeme »

Nick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:40 pm IMHO, in that price range and your description of what you want, I would suggest a Benz Micro Glider, but there are loads to choose from.
Thanks Nick, I'll add it to the list of options.

Have you any experience of the zyx r100? I think only one place still sells them though.

I'm going to try and hold out until shops are allowed to open and demo stuff again, but might not be able to resist!

Edit, your right, at this range there are loads to choose from. All I can do to shortlist though is keep reading reviews, and if most of them mention something I'm not keen on, dismiss it.

Think I'll only be able to demo 2, so need to narrow it down.
Graeme
Needs to get out more

#4 Re: Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by Graeme »

The Benz is one of the few in this price range that aren't really high compliance too, so would suit both my tt/arm set ups.
Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by Ant »

Dv20x2 is a good choice, my x2h is great in my linear arm.
I have an at33sa in it at the moment, which is a little more laid back compared to the dv, probably not your cup of tea if you want similar to the rega.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#6 Re: Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by Ali Tait »

Another vote for the Glider. I have a Gullwing, and the Glider gets you most of the way to it for a lot less cash.
JohnG
Old Hand

#7 Re: Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by JohnG »

I am a Ortofon Cartridge user, and have also been party to comparisons of other Ortofon Cartridges,
where the demonstrations took place on another TT and Tonearm the same as I own.

I lean toward the Transparency of the Ortofon's I have heard, with the noticeable Mid Range.

There is also a Cadenza Black in my possession that is to undergo a change of the Spec rebuild, a Post COVID project.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the Web (Lockdown Gap Fillers) researching user reviews on Ortofon Cartridges and seeing where others have discovered a MC that impressed and encouraged one to change from Ortofon.

At present my thoughts are that in a similar price bracket, Phasemation MC's PP-300 or PP-500 appear to be receiving very positive appraisals when compared to a Ortofon.

When the UK returns to a kind of normality, I will be keen to see if I can A/B compare the PP and Ortofon.
Graeme
Needs to get out more

#8 Re: Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by Graeme »

I've seen the phasemation but can't find much about them online.
I'll look again.
JohnG
Old Hand

#9 Re: Ortofon cadenza blue

Post by JohnG »

There is a Man by the name of Dave Brookes who is very fondly thought off on this forum.

I'm sure he will be able to offer a generous information about these Cartridges.
rowuk
Old Hand

#10 A vote for Ortofon

Post by rowuk »

I most certainly agree. My cartridges in the past 40 years: MC20/MC30 and an Ortofon Rohmann which is about equivalent to the Cadenza series. To my ears it is so neutral that often I forget that I am listening to an LP - it could be an analog tape or digital master.
JohnG wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:45 am I am a Ortofon Cartridge user, and have also been party to comparisons of other Ortofon Cartridges,
where the demonstrations took place on another TT and Tonearm the same as I own.

I lean toward the Transparency of the Ortofon's I have heard, with the noticeable Mid Range.

There is also a Cadenza Black in my possession that is to undergo a change of the Spec rebuild, a Post COVID project.

I have spent quite a bit of time on the Web (Lockdown Gap Fillers) researching user reviews on Ortofon Cartridges and seeing where others have discovered a MC that impressed and encouraged one to change from Ortofon.

At present my thoughts are that in a similar price bracket, Phasemation MC's PP-300 or PP-500 appear to be receiving very positive appraisals when compared to a Ortofon.

When the UK returns to a kind of normality, I will be keen to see if I can A/B compare the PP and Ortofon.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.