Another speaker thread

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#46 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by pre65 »

Ali Tait wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:03 am Vic's solution is some of the best bass I've heard domestically.
https://www.trans-fi.com/diy-speaker-blog
What an audio journey. 8)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#47 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Yes, very compelling. I'm trying to avoid DSP, for now at least though.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#48 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

Only a little bit though. :)
steve s
Shed dweller

#49 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by steve s »

Looking at the bass speakers Vic is using, I would say that they are good combination of specs, at a reasonable price.
in a broad way they are a 15" version of a modern 6" bass driver, tailored for the low end.

I bet they give an good account of themselves, especially with them doubled up Olsen style (but baffless) will have a large effect in increasing the speakers transient capabilities
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#50 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

I thought they were excellent, capable of huge SPL's and dynamics, but very tight and fast with it. Very enjoyable to my ears.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#51 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Shame it's a couple of grand to find out how they'd sound at home :-(
chris661
Shed dweller

#52 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by chris661 »

Well, I do suspect you could get similar results with one driver per side - the second driver only appears to be adding a bit of path length, which could be done by other means.
You might also get some even-harmonic distortion cancellation, with the cones effectively moving in opposite directions. Whether that's positive or not is subjective: the odd harmonics would remain, and while the overall harmonic distortion would be lower, the distortion profile would be very different.

If it's a route you want to take, though, you'll need plenty of power to do it. I needed around 500w/ch on tap for some PA drivers, which already have lots of motor force.

It'd be very interesting to see some measurements of that setup.

Chris
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#53 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

It would indeed Chris.

I was musing yesterday on a single driver per channel. MiniDSP is quite cheap, and class D amps from eBay aren't expensive. Sounds like the 100W jobs I already have aren't up to the job though.

I suspect I probably need to buy a couple of 18" drivers and start playing with them in different arrangements - OB, H frame, sealed, vented, no baffle - to see what works for me, and what doesn't. But a driver that suits one type probably won't suit another, and looking on Blue Aran there are 143 18" drivers to choose from, all with slightly or largely differing parameters. People's thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Nick
Site Admin

#54 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Nick »

It'd be very interesting to see some measurements of that setup.
I would be amazed if you could get much meaning from measurements in a room at those sorts of frequencies.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#55 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Nick »

Just want to say, make sure we don't do something like "not copy the original for some reason, dislike the results, so decide the original was faulty".
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#56 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by steve s »

chris661 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:01 am
You might also get some even-harmonic distortion cancellation, with the cones effectively moving in opposite directions. Whether that's positive or not is subjective: the odd harmonics would remain, and while the overall harmonic

Chris
My comments Chris where based on my understanding that the cones where moving in the same direction
Maybe Ali could confirm..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#57 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Nick »

My comments Chris where based on my understanding that the cones where moving in the same direction
Yep, but one is physically reversed (face to face) so the cone to cone motion is equal, but cone to driver is reversed between the two (IYSWIM).
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#58 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes correct Nick, cones face each other but move the same- i.e. one driver is out of phase with respect to the other on each channel.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#59 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

simon wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:27 pm Shame it's a couple of grand to find out how they'd sound at home :-(
There are no doubt cheaper drivers that would do a similar job.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#60 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ali Tait »

simon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:21 am It would indeed Chris.

I was musing yesterday on a single driver per channel. MiniDSP is quite cheap, and class D amps from eBay aren't expensive. Sounds like the 100W jobs I already have aren't up to the job though.

I suspect I probably need to buy a couple of 18" drivers and start playing with them in different arrangements - OB, H frame, sealed, vented, no baffle - to see what works for me, and what doesn't. But a driver that suits one type probably won't suit another, and looking on Blue Aran there are 143 18" drivers to choose from, all with slightly or largely differing parameters. People's thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Vic uses 2 Behringer 6000w amps with built in DSP.

£339 from here for B stock- https://www.whybuynew.co.uk/sound-pa/am ... OcQAvD_BwE