Another speaker thread

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#16 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

chris661 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:42 pm Simon, did you, by any chance, take some measurements of the 285 at the listening position?
IME, once you get below a few hundred Hz, you need to be treating the room + speaker as one, and acting accordingly. The sealed box will be activating a different set of room modes compared to the dipole version, and of course will be operating without dipole losses. It's possible there's some cancellation (there appears to be one already showing at 1m) which could be eliminated with careful positioning.
Fortunately yes (unlike the OB where I don't seem to have one at the listening position).
285GMF Sealed 1m & 2.5m.jpg
There does appear to be something odd going on around 100Hz. It's not something that's obvious to me listening, though I suspect if there is an issue it would be fairly obvious if corrected.
chris661 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:42 pm I haven't checked out your LF amp, but if you've got some spare gain available (via turning the volume control up a bit, changing resistors or whatever), you could probably put together a shelving cut with some caps and resistors to drop the level above 50Hz. Totally passive, just put it on the input of the amp. Add the required gain back in, and the <50Hz range should be boosted.
I had thought about this as an option, a little "shaping". The 3116 are barely working so there's plenty of scope. But I don't see the sealed boxes as the long term solution, only if I need some help low down that an OB can't manage in my room.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

steve s wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:13 pm Simon i think I have a pair of 15" vintage fane drivers, I think they are 15" versions of what phil uses. Your welcome to try them, but I'd need to check as I've got rid of a bit of my stuff..
They are more suited to low wattage use than alot of the modern stuff in my view.
Thanks Steve, that would be great. How would you use them and what sort of frequency response would you expect from them?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#18 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:02 pm In the meantime i will check that driver at least on Hornresp for IB to see if it goes any deeper than the 285.
Any suggestions for software to model OBs?
IslandPink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:02 pm Part of your problem is that you need to get up to at least 500Hz to blend to the 208's which have a significantly rising response through the midrange.
Yes, I think there's some mileage in where crossover points are best located, once the fundamentals are clearer.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by IslandPink »

Ok, so I had a bath and got some things clearer in my head.
I was thinking about how the 208's roll off on OB. What you need is something to extend the response down, adding to it from 400Hz downwards , roughly . I was thinking 'course it needs to be a bit bigger, in order to be more efficient enough in the lower midrange and down to 100Hz. So, maybe a 12" .. then I thought 'oh, yes, the 285GMF would be ideal'.
So, what I'm thinking is, put the 208 and 285GMF together, up on the baffle ( forget trying to get floor effect from the 285, for bass ) . You have a natural HP slope on the 208 - put the 285GMF in parallel, use a choke on the 285 to pull it down from 400Hz upwards.
Then you can deal with the bass up to 100Hz separately ( probably mono ) with a purpose built low Fs ( 20, 25 ) driver in a sealed box.

It may be you still need a cap on the 208 to create a 1st-order combo with the right phase ( not sure ) easy enough to try that in real life.
The choke on the 285GMF to low-pass it would be eg. 5mH, one of the laminated core ones that Colin can get.

Is this of any interest ?
ps. Was it you who built a sealed box bass enclosure with the S&B 12" driver ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by IslandPink »

simon wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 pm Any suggestions for software to model OBs?
Good question - James is the expert on that - I wish I knew how he modeled the Quasars - he told me he used 5 different programs in combination, to judge all the effects !
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#21 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Well (as per separate email) I'm really trying to avoid crossovers between the drivers because of the significant benefit I found when I removed it and biamped.

I wonder if some of the low end roll off of the 208s in the plots is because of baffle size. Assuming a diameter of 250mm for my ~450mm square baffle gives a corner frequency of around 425Hz, additional effect of the H frame it's standing on notwithstanding. The Quasar baffle is much larger of course and the 208s will go a lot lower in it.

Perhaps I should try adding some series R to the 285s to mimic the effect of the Quasar's series crossover, which will raise Qts, and hopefully lower the roll off?

Yes, I built a sealed sub using the SB Acoustics driver. It models well (to a novice anyway) and is one of my options for a sub under the 285s.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#22 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 pm
simon wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:56 pm Any suggestions for software to model OBs?
Good question - James is the expert on that - I wish I knew how he modeled the Quasars - he told me he used 5 different programs in combination, to judge all the effects !
Yikes too complicated for me!
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#23 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by vinylnvalves »

simon wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:14 am
IslandPink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:38 am Must get to bed... but :
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-w ... es-20.html
Interesting thread, I've read from your link to the end. 8x15" is tempting but altogether too much for me!
IslandPink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:38 am So are you sticking with sealed, or going back to OB, for the bass ?
I think this is the crux of the matter. Ideally I'd like OB. But physics demands a large baffle and the right drivers. James' Quasars use a series crossover to get lower bass from the 285GMF, more on this below. So, unless there's a clever way of getting lower bass from an OB in a smallish room then a compromise is needed. (For now at least I don't want to go DSP.) So if I do go OB with what I have I need to fill in the lower bass with something else.
IslandPink wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:38 am Bi-amped between bass and mids ?
Yes, that's what I'm using at the moment - GM70 for the 208 wide band, and class D 3116 for the 285s and T90As. When I was using the Quasars I experimented with biamping and got tremendous improvement in clarity. Biamping brings a different set of problems of course, not least that the 285s don't go as low anymore.
The other way of contouring the FR of a bass driver is to use capacitors, big ones mind you. https://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/aka_tief_c_en.htm
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#24 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

That's interesting, not read about the effects of added C before
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by IslandPink »

simon wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:07 am
1. I wonder if some of the low end roll off of the 208s in the plots is because of baffle size. Assuming a diameter of 250mm for my ~450mm square baffle gives a corner frequency of around 425Hz, additional effect of the H frame it's standing on notwithstanding. The Quasar baffle is much larger of course and the 208s will go a lot lower in it.

2. Perhaps I should try adding some series R to the 285s to mimic the effect of the Quasar's series crossover, which will raise Qts, and hopefully lower the roll off?
1. A lot of the 208's roll off is just due to them being around Qts = 0.2. A smaller baffle won't help, as you say. So a bigger baffle helps them to reach lower, but they are always going to lack lower-midrange, on their own.

2. You can try by all means, but this is the area I was struggling with, on my Quasars with the Fx120 pair - I was adding a few ohms ( up to 3.3R ) to pad down the 285 to match the lower efficiency of the FX120's. However, in the bass area where you are using the 285's, because they have a high Qms, they have a big sharp resonance peak with a high resistance - so adding series resistance onto that, causes an uneven and peaked amplitude response, with the phase shifts associated with that too.

If you stick with just the 208's on OB, then you need a bass solution that goes up to 400 or 500Hz, and is stereo. If you also want it to go down to 30Hz or so, then it's a tough job to find a driver that is also good enough at the top end of that range. There is a known solution that's been written up, the one Jono built, which is Dick Olsher's ( Black Dahlia ? ) where he used 15" Eminence definimax drivers on big ( 200l ? ) ported boxes. You might want to read up on that. The ported effects will be pretty low down on something that big, so it wouldn't sound like a small ported box system.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by IslandPink »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:24 am The other way of contouring the FR of a bass driver is to use capacitors, big ones mind you. https://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/aka_tief_c_en.htm
Ooh, now that is really interesting . The example given is rather like the Supravox, with a resonance peak around 45 or 50Hz. The gain is exactly where you need it, in the 25-40Hz area. I wonder if it helps improve the phase behaviour of the acoustic output in that region, too ?
steve s
Shed dweller

#27 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by steve s »

simon wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:16 pm
steve s wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:13 pm Simon i think I have a pair of 15" vintage fane drivers, I think they are 15" versions of what phil uses. Your welcome to try them, but I'd need to check as I've got rid of a bit of my stuff..
They are more suited to low wattage use than alot of the modern stuff in my view.
Thanks Steve, that would be great. How would you use them and what sort of frequency response would you expect from them?
Hi simon, these are the 153 specs below.. as far as late 70s specs go 🙂
I would use them up to around 500hz
To my mind they would work well in something like Ants sealed cabs or ob, but 18" is a better size in ob.. or you try an arangement like mine if you where brave.
Your more than welcome to have a play with them
fane_04.jpg
fane_03.jpg
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#28 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Scottmoose »

As a minor point, while the Quasar has a series crossover, series crossovers do not have any influence on driver Q, beyond any series loop resistance present & amplifier output impedance (which applies equally to parallel circuits). Adding series resistance at an appropriate location however will certainly raise the effective Q, although typically less so if the amplifier already has a high[ish] output impedance. Not ideal practice, but can be done if you keep an eye on its power-handling / heat.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#29 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by IslandPink »

You're right, Scott. I did have the same impression as Simon a few years ago, but quizzing with James more recently he agreed the Q of the Supravox is only slightly affected - by whatever DCR the big choke has, mostly.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by IslandPink »

For Dick Olsher's work, the relevant speaker development is the 'Basszilla' , see those from 2007 onwards for most relevance :
https://www.blackdahlia.com/tipofthemonth