Another speaker thread

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#226 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:27 pm
Is there any reason why I can't use a cheap 24V LED lighting SMPS with 2 no. 12k resistors between the output rails with the centre of the resistors tied to ground? I don't see why not but it's rather a while since I've played with magic smoke containing vessels so thought I'd ask before doing something I might regret.
Interesting question Simon.

I'd have gone for two 12v units tied together, but what do I know. :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#227 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by IslandPink »

So, is this not supplying the treble or upper midrange ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#228 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ant »

If this has been brought on by listening to my tt simon, dont think theres an issue with your speakers
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#229 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

pre65 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:42 pmI'd have gone for two 12v units tied together, but what do I know. :?
I don't have two or even one 12V units so it's rather academic :lol:
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#230 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

IslandPink wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:48 pm So, is this not supplying the treble or upper midrange ?
Not sure what the question is Mark. At the moment I have cheap eBay class D modules with 180Hz low pass filters built in for the SB subs, which "handover" to the 208s with GM70s. And another cheap class D for the supertweeters, for now.

I need the active crossovers to limit the SB subs to around 65Hz so I can bring the 285s in above them up to somewhere between 400Hz and 600Hz, then bring the 208s in.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#231 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Ant wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:37 am If this has been brought on by listening to my tt simon, dont think theres an issue with your speakers
:lol: no not listened to it yet Ant. I just need to get my finger out!
Nick
Site Admin

#232 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Nick »

Personally I would avoid the LED supplies, I would expect they would not be noise free. There are circuits on the net to create an active centre tap that would do better than a couple of resistors.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#233 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by Ant »

simon wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:30 am
Ant wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:37 am If this has been brought on by listening to my tt simon, dont think theres an issue with your speakers
:lol: no not listened to it yet Ant. I just need to get my finger out!
Easier said than done with your daily schedule !
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#234 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by IslandPink »

simon wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:28 am Not sure what the question is Mark.
It was along the lines of what Nick has subsequently said - re. quality/noise of the supply.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#235 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Okay thanks chaps, I'll not bother with the SMPS then. I've an overkill toroid with 2 15V secondaries that I could use with a first resistor for "choke" input, and drop some more voltage with a second filter stage if needed. I was just thinking of avoiding that with the SMPS.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#236 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

By way of light relief from the 45 amp I'm well overdue an update on this.

Since building the speakers around 18 months ago I've been using cheap class D 3116 amps below 180Hz with built in low pass filters with the SB subs, then the 208Es above with the GM70 amp with internal highpass filter, and the T90As above 5kHz with another class D 3116 amp and a simple second order filter. The 285GMFs haven't been in use at all. And I've really enjoyed it. So much so that I haven't exactly got my finger out with the active crossovers to get the 285s running.

The 3 way Linkwitz-Riley boards are built and wired up (and yes, I did use a nasty LED lighting SMPS to get me going) and feed the 6 channels of 3116 class D amps. Probably around £40 to £50 all in for 6 channels including PS. They are on the face of it not bad at all, though there is some hiss. But they have that slightly unrelaxing quality that means they wouldn't stand the test of time. But they were only meant to get me going too, not a long term solution.

So I have:

SB subs with a low pass at 65Hz
285GMFs 65Hz to 415Hz
208EZ highpass as 415Hz with natural roll off around 5kHz
T90A with a simple second order passive filter off the 208s at 5kHz

I established before that as the room is quite small there are probably a lot of reflections and room issues in the plots, and it's clear I'm not a measurement engineer, but here are the averaged plots for the listening position and from 1m away.
All 4 drivers 2m listening position REW averaged 8 readings.jpg
All 4 drivers 2m listening position REW averaged 8 readings.jpg (123.69 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
All 4 drivers 1m REW averaged 8 readings.jpg
All 4 drivers 1m REW averaged 8 readings.jpg (121.48 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
After a little listening to tune the sound in by my ears this is what I measured
All 4 drivers 2m listening position ear adjusted.jpg
All 4 drivers 2m listening position ear adjusted.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 6239 times
Initial listening was interesting. There have been a lot of changes so it's a little tricky to work out what's changed, but I've heard detail in familiar recordings I've never heard before, and that was from mp3s. And there's a proper weight to instruments like a grand piano.

I think the next job is to try with some decent valve amplification and see what happens then. Then perhaps think about some passive filters to replace the active crossovers. And maybe some room treatment.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the plots, those far more experienced than me at looking at these things.
chris661
Shed dweller

#237 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by chris661 »

Thoughts:

- Good start overall. <20Hz LF extension is always nice to have.
- The raised 3.5kHz-8kHz region is probably responsible for the extra detail. Suspect the novelty will wear off on that.
- Odd that you seem to have lost some level >12kHz when everything's combined.

I'll have a bit of a ponder and come back later. For now, I've got some old mics to reassemble.

Chris
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#238 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Thanks for your thoughts Chris. I suspect if I repeated the measurements they'd be different again - they did seem quite variable as I was doing them. The combined plot is quite different from the individual measurements taken at the listening position between 1k and 3k. Maybe I'll try again and see how they compare.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#239 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

I'v e taken a load more measurements this afternoon. To start here's a comparison between REW's averaged plot based on 8 measurements against my own manual version of 9 measurements. I've noticed difference in the plots in the past sometimes.

The x8 REW average has a centre reading right in front of my face with 7 in a circle with c200mm radius. The x9 self average is a 3x3 grid c200mm between points with the middle point in front of my face.

All these measurements are of the left speaker only, taken from the listening position approx. 2m from the speaker.

First the SB sub, very little difference:
SB Sub Left 2m.jpg
SB Sub Left 2m.jpg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
Next the 285GMF, some difference:
285 L 2m.jpg
285 L 2m.jpg (81.94 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
Next the 208EZ, more significant difference perhaps:
208 L 2m.jpg
208 L 2m.jpg (91.38 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
And finally the T90A. Or it would have been but it looks like I can upload max three attachments?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#240 Re: Another speaker thread

Post by simon »

Here's the T90A, a greater difference again:
T90A L 2m.jpg
T90A L 2m.jpg (86.56 KiB) Viewed 6061 times