Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#346 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Vogon poetry might just encapsulate the sheer awful pointlessness and stupidity of drag racing.

I'm perfectly happy with Andrew Marvel - no, not the smutty poem but say, for example, The Garden -'....annihilating all that's made to a green thought in a green shade.' That is poetry.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#347 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Nick »

Let me know when you find a human activity that can't be resolved down to "the sheer awful pointlessness and stupidity", its just doing pointless stuff with some degree of excess and a modicum of style. No different to any visual art, or music, still pointless.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#348 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ultimately, in the teleological sense, I can't but whatever one does surely some consideration of doing no harm to others without having to get all upset about aesthetics is still valid. The continuum is long but even so.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

#349 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by shane »

Not sure what the point is, but an interesting exercise:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#350 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:47 pm
Nice to see new ideas being investigated.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#351 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:14 pm
shane wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:47 pm
Nice to see new ideas being investigated.
Not sure what new ideas were shown there.

Eddy current:

"The first person to observe eddy currents was François Arago (1786–1853), the 25th Prime Minister of France, who was also a mathematician, physicist and astronomer. In 1824 he observed what has been called rotatory magnetism, and that most conductive bodies could be magnetized; these discoveries were completed and explained by Michael Faraday (1791–1867).

In 1834, Emil Lenz stated Lenz's law, which says that the direction of induced current flow in an object will be such that its magnetic field will oppose the change of magnetic flux that caused the current flow. Eddy currents produce a secondary field that cancels a part of the external field and causes some of the external flux to avoid the conductor.

French physicist Léon Foucault (1819–1868) is credited with having discovered eddy currents. In September 1855, he discovered that the force required for the rotation of a copper disc becomes greater when it is made to rotate with its rim between the poles of a magnet, the disc at the same time becoming heated by the eddy current induced in the metal. The first use of eddy current for non-destructive testing occurred in 1879 when David E. Hughes used the principles to conduct metallurgical sorting tests."

Eddy Current Clutch:

"At Magnetic Technologies Ltd. we have been building custom eddy current clutches since 1984. We are constantly fine tuning and improving our designs. Today, we have hundreds of custom designed units in use. We have eddy current clutches running on every continent. Because of our maintenance and retro-fit programs, we have a chance to see how our clutches perform over time. Most are still in use even after 15+ years of continual service!"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#352 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:15 pm I knew some of this already, but this adds a few modern updates :
-

Leaving aside the pointlessness, :D I did find the engineering challenges interesting.

Off the top of my head –

The engine is rebuilt after every run. They are looking for broken bits or bits about to break. It also gets a new clutch every time.

There is no liquid cooling, because there's no point, it's not running for long enough. However it means the blocks and heads are solid and so stronger. After a rebuild they start it and warm it up and make sure it all works OK. Then it does the tyres warming up burn-out bit, then it does the run. Then it's all rebuilt again.

There's so much pressure in the cylinders that the pistons and conrods get shorter with use. A crankshaft can last up to 15 runs, a piston 8 - 12 runs.

The car does 0 - 100 mph in 1 second. The driver is subjected to 4.5 G. At the other end of the track, at 3 seconds, it's about 280 mph. Stopping is more hairy, the deceleration can cause detached retinas. You keep you eyes closed in case your eyeballs want to pop out.

The engine develops 11,000 hp. Two turbo-chargers make 60 psi of boost. Studs pulling out the block is a common issue, even with extra bolts going in at right angles.

When the video was made, nitro cost $47 a US gallon. The fuel is typically a mix of 80% nitro and 20% methanol. However nitro is slow burning, hence the ignition advance is around 60-something degrees.

The fuel tank is connected via a 2.5 inch diameter pipe, as it uses 3 gallons per second. The tank holds 20 gallons and it might have 3 or 4 left after the warm-up and a run. There are 2 magnetos, each running at 44 Amps.

Sometimes what look like blue sparks may be seen flying out of the engine, this is bits of broken porcelain coming off the spark plugs.

And, it's an expensive hobby! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Max N
Old Hand

#353 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Max N »

When I was studying, we took a couple of Chinese students to Santa Pod to watch some drag racing. We tried very hard to explain to them what was happening and why it was happening, but I don’t think they got it. They were asking why the government would pay for such vehicles to be developed.

Anyway, leaving aside the pointlessness, if you have never seen top fuellers ‘in the flesh’, you have imho missed one of life’s great spectacles. The immensity of the noise, the shaking of your internal organs, the incredible acceleration. They make F1 cars, even the old normally aspirated ones, seem tame. A day out at the pod is good value, very accessible, you can chat to the mechanics while they re-build the motors. Highly recommended. Such things may not be around for much longer, and I get the reasons for that and agree with them, but I would say ‘see them while you still can’.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#354 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Dave the bass »

Max N wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:35 pm The immensity of the noise, the shaking of your internal organs, the incredible acceleration.
Aaah, Hawkwind!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#355 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Who said cables weren't important - sometimes, just occasionally, you get what you pay for... mainly, I just think the scanning technology that they are using is terrific! Even though they are comparing two different transmission systems - Thunderbolt 4 vs. USB - they both use USB C connectors.

See also: https://www.lumafield.com/article/usb-c ... zon-basics

Completely nuts - two PSUs, a 10-layer PCB, differential drivers and receivers, every signal strand a mini-coax - those scans are amazing.

Every data strand is a tiny coax... Mad!
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (223.97 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#356 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by vinylnvalves »

If USB C its has 5amp current capacity too. Be interesting if they did the same on a Shunanya USB cable - those magic processes that covert a 10 dollar cable into a 1000 dollar cable won’t show up :D
Nick
Site Admin

#357 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Nick »

The 5A is only for the PD cables, otherwise I think its 3A.

I think most of the complexity in the cable that Jack pointed to is for the conversion from Thunderbolt to USB. AFAIK, all that should live in other the USB plug in sending/receiving devices.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#358 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:15 pm The 5A is only for the PD cables, otherwise I think its 3A.

I think most of the complexity in the cable that Jack pointed to is for the conversion from Thunderbolt to USB. AFAIK, all that should live in other the USB plug in sending/receiving devices.
My sense was that it's all about signal integrity and noise rather than protocol conversion.
Nick
Site Admin

#359 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Nick »

jack wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:19 pm
Nick wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:15 pm The 5A is only for the PD cables, otherwise I think its 3A.

My sense was that it's all about signal integrity and noise rather than protocol conversion.
Maybe, Thunderbird is twice the throughput of USB-3 as its two sets of balanced TX/RX rather than just the four wires in USB-3. So not sure if there is any big difference in integrity on each data lane.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#360 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Strangely, I spent today battling a signal integrity issue involving a 5mtr USB C 3.0 cable and associated powered hub. Very annoying.