Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#226 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

The first of a nice model aircraft construction series, maybe an idea for Colin (Toppsy) to follow up on his swansong speaker project, or perhaps Ed if he needs some more kindling fire wood... 😉

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#227 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by ed »

Oi! that's not interesting...

that's the modelling equivalent of paint by numbers...

real modellers start with a plan and a lump of wood...then, after a while, they progress to making firewood
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#228 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Nick »

Not sure if it qualifies as non musical, but this amazed me

This is a good analysis of whats going on and the use of the spectrum display makes it clearer, but no less amazing.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#229 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by ed »

imo it doesn't qualify as non-musical....
but it's awesome either way....
I beleive I had a plug in the last daw that could do that, although I only ever used it to correct flat singing.
if you're interested:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation? ... FX.06.html
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#230 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Toppsy »

Ray P wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:15 pm The first of a nice model aircraft construction series, maybe an idea for Colin (Toppsy) to follow up on his swansong speaker project, or perhaps Ed if he needs some more kindling fire wood... 😉

Ray,
I don't have such BIG ambitions regards a RC model airplane as that build. Speakers maybe, since my Swansong's are not what you call small speakers, but that plane is 1/3rd scale with a wingspan of 118 inches, length 91 inches, weight around 38ibs+! You would need CAA certification and LMA approval. Would also need a mini hanger to house it.

A couple other no-no issues is the cost and I don't have the skill to be able to fly it.

That kit is 2,495USD, before import duties and shipping costs!
The engine is a 250cc radial 5-cylinder Moki S250 and with electronic start costs 4,000UKP.
You'd be looking at an all-in-cost of over 7000UKP.
My new speakers cost me a little over just half that to build.

Would love to see it fly in the flesh though. With that 5 cylinder radial engine it would sound just like the full size and be a spectacular sight to see.
Ray P

#231 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

Toppsy wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:47 pm I don't have such BIG ambitions regards a RC model airplane as that build.
I didn't really expect you to undertake that as a project Colin, just dangling the idea of a RC plane project of some sort...
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#232 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Toppsy »

Well Ray, the video clip is certainly inspirational and I have on my bucket list to perhaps build a 1:4 scale S.E.5A as a swansong RC model build. At 73 inch (1.85m) wing span is just about manageable to transport in my car.
However, for now I have a small kit to build, that I shall be starting tomorrow. It's a 54 inch (1.37m) span fun fly model I got for Christmas and shall be installing a little Saito FA-30S (5.03cc) single cylinder 4-stoke engine that I purchased many years ago whilst on holiday in the USA. As the model name suggests, should be fun to fly:
Talking of flying the models I have decided not to rejoin my local model flying club. I had hoped for tuition and retraining to get me back into flying but due to a lack of anyone at the club to train me I received no tuition/assisted instruction, that and the club had limited access days to their flying site, and due to a lack of communication from the club some days I would turn up at the club site and no one would be there.

So I have decided to join Bury Metro MFC come January, who have dedicated instructors and BMFA affiliated examiners that are available 7 days of the week, so I shall be dusting off the cobwebs my old trainer models and am re-enthused for the coming year. Hope to pass my 'A' certificate soonest so I can fly solo and unassisted.
Ray P

#233 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

Nice Christmas present Colin and the SE5 project sounds audacious but certainly a fitting swansong. Good luck with gaining your wings.

Might be worth a visit to the Shuutleworth Collection for one of their flying days;

Ray P

#234 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

I stumbled across this restored film of London in the 1930s. I can't help thinking that there's a mysterious appearance by our Mr Bass on one of his 'Lundun' excursions - is that him, on his trusty steed Scobswell, riding right to left in the opening seconds?

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#235 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

That was not uninteresting! :D

I like how all the guys are wearing suits and ties and hats.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#236 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by IslandPink »

Maybe something about the one I posted stuck in your mind -

https://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/vie ... &start=180

:!:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#237 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by pre65 »

Since being taken (as a child) to the Derwent valley to see Lady Bower reservoir in drought conditions I've had an interest in the area.

I came across a video showing the history of the three dams and everything connected to their construction.

The video is an hour, but (to me) is was well made and very interesting.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#238 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

Hammer versus feather – proving Galileo's law of falling bodies...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#239 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by IslandPink »

Somewhat related, this is rather good , and shows how things were done 'back then'
See 5min 55 for the practical bit !

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

#240 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by shane »

Found this very interesting but it’s not non-musical. Needs to be listened to on something with good bass response.

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.