Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
ed
retired

#106 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:05 pm The Pi is connected ethernet into the router. The laptop is connected to the router by WiFi. Picoreplayer is running on the laptop to configure the Pi .
yoo sure?

picoreplayer is likely to be running on the pi. Not sure there is a picoreplayer distro for other platforms...(I could be wrong).
is it likely you meant laptop is controlling picoreplayer which is running on the pi.

Seems optimum not to put music files on the sd card as this will increase io on the card and increase the risk of the all-to-frequently mentioned sd card failure.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

#107 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

post deleted
Last edited by ed on Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#108 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

Picoreplayer is running on the laptop to configure the Pi
Do you think your laptop is running a Linux web server when you look at this forum?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#109 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I really don't know.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#110 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

'all' I want is to use the Pi instead of Squeezebox and Vortexbox,
But what is it you want the Pi to do?

Squeezebox is a device that can play music from the network by connecting to LMS or directly to a file share

Vortexbox is a linux distribution that allows you to rip CD's onto a file share either local or remote. It can also run LMS

LMS is server software that will push your music to a remote squeezebox to play it.

Personally I find using squeezebox as the client being sent music from LMS running elsewhere works for me

The Pi hardware platform can do the work of all or any of the above. It can run LMS and behave like Vortexbox running a standard Linux distribution, or it can behave like a squeezebox by running the picoreplayer distribution.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#111 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

we might be going round in circles now.....

Andrew, does it help if I say:
Rapberry pi running picoreplayer with a dac attched is exactly the same hardware as squeezebox classic.
only difference is that raspberry pi doesn't have a remote control, you have to control it from a web page on another device connected to your network.

if you then connect a 7" pi screen it becomes the same piece of hardware as squeezebox touch.

apologies if this smacks of egg sucking lesson.

@Nick our posts are overlapping...from post #106
andrew Ivimey

#112 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Vortexbox for me is just the store of my music library. It connected through the router and the Squeezebox played the music.

I just thought there is a way for the Pi to have a hard drive with a music library usb connected and thd Pi to then do what the Squeezebox did. The android app Squeezer works a treat to control the Pi just like it controls a Squeezebox touch.

But I hadn't set picoreplayer properly as I couldn't get it to connect with the Pi's usb port and the laptop that was used to configure the Pi through picoreplayer had to remain on and insitu for the system to work. I obviously had only got half way to where I want to be.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#113 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ed, your post #106 looks about right.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#114 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

I've only skimmed this so apologies I might have missed how you've configured things Andrew but something you wrote made me wonder if you have LMS running on a laptop? If so the laptop needs to be on whenever you want to used your Rpi. No laptop no LMS.

But I've probably misunderstood. More egg sucking, sorry.

I have a Rpi just running LMS, then others as a Squeezebox. And the screen is rather nice - makes a large Touch :-)
Nick
Site Admin

#115 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

That would make more sense. LMS on the laptop.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#116 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

It's easy enough to set the pi up with LMS as well as a player.
andrew Ivimey

#117 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

But I bet its really difficult to explain to me how to do it!?

You don't have to Simon. It's all a bit of a challenge.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#118 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

It's one of the picoreplayer menu options Andrew. It's a long time since I set it up but it wasn't tricky.

Working out I needed defaults in the config when I was trying to mount my NAS was a bit more annoying but Google came to my rescue.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#119 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by simon »

andrew Ivimey

#120 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Okay Simon, thanks. Looks familiar but I havent read it. Tomorrow!