Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#61 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

I spent an age trying to get a RasPi 4 to work with my NAS.
Then the penny started to slowly drop, and the RasPi 4 doesn't like earlier versions of piCorePlayer, and if you use a version it (the RasPi 4) does like it steadfastly refuses to talk to an aged NAS that doesn't support NFS so you have to use CIFS.

The NAS will eventually get changed out for something that will play ball with NFS, but for the time being it can wait, as the existing setup does what it's supposed to do.

A RasPi 4 with a more recent version of piCorePlayer would be very slick with a USB drive mounted.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#62 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hmmmmm mmmmmmmmm, that doesn't sound so good.

I'll let the subconscious think about it... night night!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#63 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by izzy wizzy »

It took a while to get my RPI2 with picoreplayer running LMS to talk with my Synology NAS but I did it in the end with some help from the interwebs.

But then I just got my desktop to run LMS in the background which was even better. Down side is I have to reboot the player after the LMS get's restarted. That could be annoying for some folk.
ed
retired

#64 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

+1 to the NAS problems. I too had initial problems getting picoreplayer to see my zyxel NAS. It transpired that Simon had exactly the same problem and pointed me in the right direction.

Never looked back....it's great...In all the time it's been running 24/7 it's locked up twice, which to my mind is not really a problem. I only noticed because the displayed time is wrong. At some point I may change to SSD via USB, like I use for my web server on the pi4. All the talk of sd card failures doesn't inspire confidence. But there is no data on the m/c so if the sd card did fail it would just be a matter of putting another one in..on reflection I don't thing ssd is necessary for this application.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
andrew Ivimey

#65 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well I'm going downhill steadily. I've trashed another 64gig micro sd card. It seems that the moment I put a rasp pi micro card in my laptop card reader ( in order to transfer picoreplayer download) the card gets irretrievably trashed. This is getting expensive.

Doom, serious gloom. Is it really worth it?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#66 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

Do you mean trashed so it doesn't work any more?

where "work" means can be read by the laptop.

If work means read by the Pi, then you are probably writing it wrong.

You should not be able to break the sd card by using it, but you can give it the wrong or invalid format or the wrong contents so the Pi won't boot from it.

May sure you are writing the image to the card, not writing a copy of the image to the file system on the card.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#67 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Both were working Pi OS cards. The second one trashed when I inserted it into my card reader to add/ install an image of picoplayer onto it .

Neither is now readable with Windows or Raspberry.

I once corrupted an sdmicro by taking it out of a phone without unmountng it. This reminds me of that. Even the tech boffins at the hospital couldn't retrieve any data from it nor re_ format.
Nick
Site Admin

#68 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

Ok, and it cant be formatted?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#69 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It cannot.
Nick
Site Admin

#70 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

Odd, not sure then.
Nick
Site Admin

#71 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey

#72 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Thanks Nick, I'll give it a try.
andrew Ivimey

#73 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It seems like Partition Wizard wants to work with the micro card but I have to pay $190 for a year's sub.
Nick
Site Admin

#74 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

Do none of the others work?
ed
retired

#75 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

which image flasher have you been using? I was under the impression that they just bludgeoned the image onto the card with scant regard for the existing format....I have much to learn

off topic: a question I've been sitting on for 16 years or so....what is the interest in Blinov, if there is any???
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be