Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#31 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Thanks youse twos, what's another way of saying '....point at your music collection....and Bob's yer uncle'

Rasp hasn't arrived yet, need hdmi monitor apparently- what's wrong with svga!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#32 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

In my case it was set the Pi running piCorePlayer at my aged NAS, using CIFS.
The NAS is a mount point in LMS, and requires creds to permit the 2 to talk to each other, but once done it's pretty dependable.
Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

#33 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

what's wrong with svga!

In the case of the pi, the size of the connector would be one. Plus it would require video speed ADC's

Just saying.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#34 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Fair enough!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#35 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by izzy wizzy »

2nded picoreplayer. So easy to use. Updates are regular and they always seem backwards compatible. Think I'm using a rpi2 and it works fine.
andrew Ivimey

#36 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Okay, I'm on the case.
Max N
Old Hand

#37 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Max N »

The first time I built a Pi, I used my tv as the screen, plus a usb keyboard and mouse to keep things simple.
I’m just trying to remember the bits that I found puzzling at first….
Everything runs off the microSD card. The card will hold the operating system and any other software you want to run. It’s worth buying a couple, and making a back up when you have everything set up and working.

You’ll need a way to get stuff onto the cards. If you just wanted to get a pi up and running as a little general purpose computer, I would suggest Raspberry Pi Imager. This will get you a working pi with minimum effort, so you can have a play. But it’s a bit of a detour for your use case, so only if you fancy having a play to see what a pi can do….

I agree that your ultimate aim should probably be picoreplayer. Download the image from picoreplayer.org and go from there.

Hope this helps, give a shout if you get stuck 😃
andrew Ivimey

#38 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hello Max, thanks. Its encouraging!
andrew Ivimey

#39 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So, while I wait...
I was told the raspberry pi was arriving on Friday. FedEx tried to deliver this morning whilst I was staring at the great river ouse sipping coffee and waiting in great anticipation for a 'full english' in Albero Lounge Bedford.

When I got home, to find that card they always leave. I swallowed my frustration by digging out a newly acquired Macbook pro for a very low price and set to work with YouTube by my side to guide me on updating to Monterey where Apple say 'No! You can't do it.'
The latest OS is not for such old and crumbly macbook models.
Hooray to the guys who care about these things. Eventually all was done . That was a pleasant surprise. Imagine my joy when I find the Macbook roars along and seems considerably faster, like vvvverrrrroooooommmm!!!

Tomorrow I will stretch the Mac' sinews and see if all is as swimmingly brilliant as they seem!

Raspberry Pi can wait.
andrew Ivimey

#40 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Amazon apologised, FedEx apologised and promised delivery on Thursday, before 6-00pm.

It was actually delivered today, the very day that Boris apologised...

So a Raspberry pi 400 including psu, mouse and a raspberry 4 all inside a qwerty keyboard case. Many sockets there are on the back.

And a huge book called, 'The Official Rasp Pi Beginner's Guide'. I think this may be ery useful.

1. Download and make a spare OS disk. Sounds easy enough...
andrew Ivimey

#41 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Plug and Play, quite literally. I am now using my Raspberry Pi 400. I'm also playing Axis Bold as Love. Flac from a USB stick but there is no analogue audio out. Doesn't this strike you as a little bit odd!?

If I was using a telly for a monitor would the hdmi lead take sound to the telly?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#42 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

It's quite likely.
Chris :happy3:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by pre65 »

There are HDMI splitters available to get 2 RCA phonos and a SPDIF optical output.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363679200737 ... SwciZh1MNt

PS cheaper from China if you can wait.

Last edited by pre65 on Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#44 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Aha, this looks interesting. But the two hdmi ports on the Pi are mini not normal sized sockets.
andrew Ivimey

#45 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

P.s. I have a couple of cheap USB ADC In DAC out modules to try.