Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
shane
Social outcast

#91 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by shane »

Does Picoreplayer connect to Tidal? If so I may be able to ease my conscience over paying a king’s ransom to Roon every month.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#92 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

There are apps for Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal, and a few others you can install in LMS, Shane.
Settings/plugins is where they all reside.
Chris :happy3:
shane
Social outcast

#93 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by shane »

So it’s effectively turning the Pi into a Squeezebox?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#94 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

That's exactly what it's doing. If you add a touch screen like Tony has it's a even closer copy.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Max N
Old Hand

#95 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Max N »

There’s some info on adding touchscreens here:
https://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/vie ... 8&start=30

The gist is, if you go for the official pi touchscreen it’s pretty simple.
shane
Social outcast

#96 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by shane »

I used to use iPeng to control my old squeezebox. This looks worth a go.

I just had a minor revelation. All through this thread I’ve been mentally pronouncing it as Pico Replayer. Now I find on the website that it’s Pi Core Player. Makes much more sense…
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#97 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So after a long think....paradigm shift... think of the Pi as something to plug in and tap through the router.

Well I typed in the address on my laptop and up came picoreplayer, changed the setting to USB audio and did a full update. Now I can control Pi with my phone and access the full music library. It's playing as I type.

But the full library is only on the Vortxbox and that's switched off and disconnected si how on earth am I getting access to the full library!????
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#98 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oops no it's not its the 200gig usb music folder on the Touch downstairs, which is on the network....
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#99 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

There is much still to do.

I need to specify the hard drive connected to the USB port on the Pi.

Squeezer on my phone works as a controller.

I need to understand how it all works too, so far I think I get (some of) a hazy notion scribbled on the back of a fag packet
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#100 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

shane wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:08 am So it’s effectively turning the Pi into a Squeezebox?
If you want it to it can.
I turn off the Squeezebox part because there are a couple of Squeezebox Touch players on the home network.

The RasPi here just acts as a headless LMS server.
If I need another player I could set up a Chromecast Audio Player (I have one knocking about, and it works well as a client using the LMS app), or I could build up a RasPi as player.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

#101 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

After a good few hours and now a headache I have got things going to some extent. I have setup piCorePlayer on a laptop and configured the Pi.

The android app Squeezer is working fine and dandy. I have managed to get music files onto the microsdcard so LMS read and play them. I have not managed to connect the main hard drive (my library) which is plugged into the Pi. I can't see how to do this ... yet. This is most important.

- I do not like the 'off button' on the Pi and just switching on at the mains is a bit shoddy too. -

Is it possible to run everything from the Pi? Touch screen is irrelevant but I want the Pi to do everything.

Is it possible to send the music from the Pi through the network to the devialet - all digital, no analogue inputs at all on amp and speakers in the same way as for example, Apple Air Play does - very impressive! I'm okay with a DAC for the Pi; it just ins't necessary.

So far then. Suggestions warmly received and outpouring of gratitude :-)
andrew Ivimey

#102 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

What I just said.... ferrrrgeddd it. I've lost the sound output, I need the laptop running picoreplayer for LMS control panel or squeezer to work.

Then I switched off and I guess, although I thought I had switched the software off before I did a reboot and now the Pi has locked. I'm remaking a picoreplayer boot dusk and....
Start all over again.

Tedious.
Nick
Site Admin

#103 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Nick »

I believe you should be able to use the pi boot disk read only, but of course storing music on it will defeat that point.

When you say "aptop running picoreplayer " do you mean that, or do you mean the laptop connected to the web server on the Pi?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#104 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The Pi is connected ethernet into the router. The laptop is connected to the router by WiFi. Picoreplayer is running on the laptop to configure the Pi .
andrew Ivimey

#105 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm giving up tonight, dinner to cook!

I was wondering if Volumio is easier better - who knows!

'all' I want is to use the Pi instead of Squeezebox and Vortexbox,