Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#46 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:53 pm Aha, this looks interesting. But the two hdmi ports on the Pi are mini not normal sized sockets.
Oh bum. :?

There must be mini HDMI - HDMI cables somewhere ?

Is mini HDMI the same as display port ? :?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#47 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Mini hdmi to normal hdmi exists, not sure about anything else.
Mini hdmi is much newer but does the same job, apparently, as normal hdmi.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#48 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

Did you get this kit, or just the bare bones version
https://thepihut.com/collections/raspbe ... mputer-kit

The RasPi serving up my choons is a 3B+, and I don't play any audio through it, although the option to do so is there.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

#49 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The whole kit, I thought the keyboard was neat and ery useful. Much cheaper too all in than a simple Pi board and add bits.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#50 Re: Vortexbox Blues

If you looks down the page wot I linked to, audio & video over HDMI is mentioned.
andrew Ivimey

#51 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yes I see....and very much there is. I havent even got my toes wet yet. Picoreplayer is the next obvious step and I think I know what to do..... tomorrow.
Max N
Old Hand

#52 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Max N »

Yep, audio is available from HDMI, I had picoreplayer plugged into AV receiver for a while. I think you may have to enable hdmi audio in raspi-config….
andrew Ivimey

#53 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Tomorrow!!! 😀
andrew Ivimey

#54 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

The fun continues. My USB ADC/DACs seem just to plug and play. Headphones plugged in to the output jack.

I decided to begin with something I know and, remembering that Audacity is Linux too, thought why not. Found, downloaded, installed and it seems to work. Got to rush now so laters......
andrew Ivimey

#55 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

What an arse... I began to think how well I'm doing, clever even. Ha!

A charity shop got £9 out of me for an hdmi monitor. Not the finest but it works.

Then, because I can't do 'Control, Shift, del' ... it doesn't work on Raspberry - what a devious but delicate fruit - not an Apple oh no.... I switched off at the mains and that trashed the sdmicro card.

Made a spare sd card OS. downloaded libre office. I can write.
Now.... PiCorePlayer... OMG! I understand so little
andrew Ivimey

#56 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hello boys, I'm back and using the RasPi 400 to write this, so neat, so small oooooooo - yep and that's about my limit ,,,, ggggrrrrrrr.

Tomorrow is another day, its time to make something to eat, Anna will be home in about an hour..... I'm just thinking ..... Quite a few years ago I remember Ali saying how it was such a breeze to use his phone as a controller for Squeezebox, My eyebrows crossed and I breathed in..... didn't like the sound of that. harumph Shudder.... transport me to the Colonies,

And then I did, Blimey! I still do - amazing - fantastic! BUT

back in the day, wasn't it possible that I used my old desktop PC to control my squeezebox, I think I did? But my desktop jobbie is long gone. erm.... Both my devialet system and squeezebox/Vortexbox (while it still lasts) I can use iPad and my android phone.

I want this RspPi400 to take over the Vortexbox. To me its a hell of a problem which I will re-address tomorrow, You know, Bob was my uncle. He was an extraordinary kind and loving man but he didn't know one end of a remote control for the telly from the other.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#57 Re: Vortexbox Blues

To be honest Mr. I., I was surprised you went for the RasPi 400 - it's intended to be a code writers tool.
That said, it's a RasPi, so there's probably no reason why it won't run piCorePlayer, and therefore LMS, which in turn means running it headlessly and use a Smartphone app to drive it.
andrew Ivimey

#58 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well I haven't a clue but I
andrew Ivimey

#59 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oops, lost the plot
andrew Ivimey

#60 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

'Spose I'll work it out.